Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MArzipan61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
For a while I was having success connecting my G5 and my Powerbook via a Firewire cable (front port) by repairing the premissions before starting, but now it happens every time.

So if I connect the 2 computers via a firewire cable, repair premissions, then mount the other's drive on the desktop and then transfer a photograph - the G5 gets grayed out with a hard crash.

Any idea why this may be happening. What can I do. (If I cannect the 2 via my ethernet network I don't have this problem).

Many thanks

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
I've seen this same problem with an iPod of all things!! It took a complete restore and clean installation of the iPod for it to work.
Thats alot easier to do with an ipod though.
Have you tried just using an External Drive and hooking up the powerbook to that, Dropping the files on it and then plugging it into the G5?

MArzipan61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Well - the last time I tried connecting to the G5, the external drives that are connected to the G5 mounted to the Powerbook's desktop and I infact did just as you suggested and that was to make the file transfer to the external HD and then got them to the G5 from there.

It's a discent work around, but I was hoping to solve this problem. I've just assume there is something I'm doing wrong - or could do to fix this.

Thanks

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
MArzipan61 said:
Well - the last time I tried connecting to the G5, the external drives that are connected to the G5 mounted to the Powerbook's desktop and I infact did just as you suggested and that was to make the file transfer to the external HD and then got them to the G5 from there.

It's a discent work around, but I was hoping to solve this problem. I've just assume there is something I'm doing wrong - or could do to fix this.

Thanks

If you have wireless....why don't you just enable filesharing and just transfer the files from the PB to the G5's external HDD rather than connect thru firewire (though firewire would be much, MUCH faster)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.