Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tveric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Since i got such great answers on memory upgrades here, I thought I'd try my luck on HDs. I'm getting a secondary HD to augment the original 152GB* that came with it.

1) Is there a max size HD I can put in my Dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac?
2) Will I benefit from a 10,000 rpm drive or should save my $$$ and just go with a 7200rpm?
3) Who online is reliable with a friendly low price?

Thanks all.

*sure, it's ADVERTISED as a 160GB

tveric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
And since I've been shopping around today, how's the newegg.com store? They seem to have good feedback and reasonable prices on SATA drives, any positive/negative experiences from anyone here?

thanks again

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
tveric said:
And since I've been shopping around today, how's the newegg.com store? They seem to have good feedback and reasonable prices on SATA drives, any positive/negative experiences from anyone here?

thanks again

i think they are one of the best online retailers out there. I have bought many products from them, and have always had top notch service. oh, and the customer service is great, they wil usually return something with no quetions asked.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
I second that - NewEgg is excellent. When buying parts, I usually head to either NewEgg or Directron.com - both are excellent suppliers.

As to your questions...

The 7200RPM drive should be fine for almost anything, with the possible exception of something like uncompressed HD video editing. (We're talking UNCOMPRESSED - the pro, $100k camera stuff. Working with HDV - the prosumer grade stuff - will work just fine on a 7200RPM.) Long story short - I can't see any need for a 10k RPM drive.

As to size limitations, as far as I know the G5s will take any SATA drive - no size limitation. (Which reminds me, I need to go get a 400-500GB drive for mine!)

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
I have to echo the positive feedback on NewEgg. I've only bought from them once, but it was a flawless experience.

Installing a second drive in a dual 2.5 G5 is a trivial task. I put one in my G5 in just a few moments.

tveric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
yeah, the install will be easy, I realize that. I just needed some tech details on what's allowed, what isn't, and if it's worth it to get the 10,000rpm drive over the 7200. Not sure of the limits of the Dual 2.5 G5s; bus speeds, stuff like that.

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
I purchased a serial HD for my PM G5 from newegg. I have no complaints whatsoever and would def do business with them again. The HD I purchased was a seagate 250 GB. Pleased with the HD as well. Very easy installation in the PM. Josh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.