Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Even if you're not using 100% CPU all the time? Folding doesn't use all the CPU, just the idle cycles you're not using anyway.

You're not going to tell me that you can run your Macs at 100% all the time, are you? ;)

It takes up a lot of my CPU on my PC. I uninstalled it so I can't give you a precise number but it was up in the 50% range.

Kazaa and folding were the two CPU hogs on my PC. Only one of which was necessary ;).

So are you folding now? And if not why are you even posting here?

yeah, I install folding on computers whenever I get a chance. Just not my own computers :D.

25 WUs and still chugging.... :D

scem0

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
scem0 you can set it to use less CPU you can do that, and I think I have told you that before even.

But no one listens so I shouldn't expect you to.

edit: SCEM0!!!!

There are apps out there, that can LOWER or RAISE priority, also you can set it so that Folding cannot use more than x% of your CPU even if it is idle!

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
It takes up a lot of my CPU on my PC. I uninstalled it so I can't give you a precise number but it was up in the 50% range.

Kazaa and folding were the two CPU hogs on my PC. Only one of which was necessary ;).

thats too bad you stopped folding so the spyware can work better... eventhough folding did nothing to hamper it. folding takes up the REST of the cpu power, which mean it does not take AWAY from any other program.

Originally posted by scem0
yeah, I install folding on computers whenever I get a chance. Just not my own computers :D.

25 WUs and still chugging.... :D

well, if you think its a bad thing for your computer why do you force it on others? :rolleyes:

- bert

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by bertinman
thats too bad you stopped folding so the spyware can work better... eventhough folding did nothing to hamper it. folding takes up the REST of the cpu power, which mean it does not take AWAY from any other program.

I have nothing to hide on my computer.

And the computer runs noticeably slower when folding is on... maybe that is just an error in the PC proggie. But despite what it is supposed to do, it wasn't doing it.

well, if you think its a bad thing for your computer why do you force it on others? :rolleyes:

- bert

because I don't give a **** about the PCs at compUSA, or about the ****ty PCs at my school. And I don't think it is BAD for my computer, I just don't want to deal with it.

scem0

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by scem0
I have nothing to hide on my computer.

never said you did, which now makes me think you do ;)

im just anti kazaa because too many idiots try to use my bandwith with it to download questionable files. and I get the letter from the network security department telling me who exactly it was because it is one of the more easily tracked pirating programs out there.

no offence to you, and i appologize if it came out that way.

And the computer runs noticeably slower when folding is on... maybe that is just an error in the PC proggie. But despite what it is supposed to do, it wasn't doing it.

never had this problem, ever. and I have used over 50 different comps running it. I even rendered with 3Dstudio Max and it didn't affect the render time.

maybe since it is a windows pc you are up for a monthly reinstall? ;)

something can't be right if a low priority program is causing so much fuss. you might have a virus, or spyware in the case of kazaa.

I recommend AdAware to get rid of any offending background applications.

because I don't give a **** about the PCs at compUSA, or about the ****ty PCs at my school. And I don't think it is BAD for my computer, I just don't want to deal with it.

scem0

sorry if i read incorrectly into your past posts, but it sure seemed like you felt it was bad for your cpu because it used any of the cpu's excess power and might kill the cpu.

- bert

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by MrMacman
Yay again scem0 doesn't read my comments.

W00O00TTtTtT!!1!!!!

Read my god damn comment above.

You know what, I don't care anymore, I've posted it like 4 times, and each time you post after me, probably even reading my comments, but totally ingore them, you have a grudge or something?
who cares if he doesnt fold. i said i stopped folding and you got on to me saying i dont care about diseased people, but yet i have never heard to talk about diseased people on this forum, only getting more points out of everyone and beating every other team.

iJon

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Folding

MrMacMan:

Ok, screw folding. This is why:

Its slow, as it takes like 5 days to do 1 WU on my mac, when it takes 1 day to do it on a similar PC. It uses your processor constantly (shorter CPU life). Its pointless on everyday computers.

If you are so butthurt about folding, go buy yourself a rack of P4 servers, cheap ones, and let 'em fold all day. Macs take sooo much longer to fold then a PC. I bet PCs make up for 3/4 of our score.

I didn't buy my computer so I could run a program to help cure people. If I wanted to cure people, I would be a scientist. I folded for a few months, and realized it just shortens the life of your computer. So, yea, thats what I think.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by iJon
who cares if he doesnt fold. i said i stopped folding and you got on to me saying i dont care about diseased people, but yet i have never heard to talk about diseased people on this forum, only getting more points out of everyone and beating every other team.

iJon

Its inferred that your helping people by giving all the CPU power you can.

Do I need to say that this WU that I process will be the cure? No, I don't want to make un-real goals.

It uses your processor constantly (shorter CPU life).
We have answered this over and over again. It doesn't, the probabality of shorting your CPU's life span is like saying the cut on my finger is going to shorten MY lifespan. Unless I don't have platelets I will not die. You will get rid of your computer way, way, WAY before it dies.

If you are so butthurt about folding, go buy yourself a rack of P4 servers, cheap ones, and let 'em fold all day. Macs take sooo much longer to fold then a PC. I bet PCs make up for 3/4 of our score.
a) Your Sentence doesn't make grammical sense.
b) I have yet to find so cheap computers for me to make a rack of.
c) I don't care where the points come from, they are helping people, aren't they?

I folded for a few months, and realized it just shortens the life of your computer. So, yea, thats what I think.
So does running a server. KDX aint a server is it? Yeah, it is.

Read my infrence above, it will not shorten the lifespan of your computer, if it does Shorten the lifespan of your computer And you can prove it.

I Will BUY you a NEW Processor*!
*Paid for by me, Jeremiah Bornemann.

From FAQ:
Q: Will F@H damage my computer or shorten its lifespan?
A: Only if you do not have adequate cooling. As with any CPU intensive task you need to make sure that your machine stays cool and doesn't overheat. Other than that, F@H is just like any other application.

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Re: I thought we were talking about folding on a G5

Originally posted by jimthorn
Calm down, everybody. This is starting to look like a Spymac forum... :D

sorry about that. im on vacation and bored so i got offended because i had nothing better to do.

- bert

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
thats fine macman, all im saying is you need to lay off people. i used to fold, it was cool, but it made my room to hot, so i stopped. you personally imed me just so you could tell me some crap about not caring about diseased people. but everytime i hear you talk on this forum, you never talk about diseased people, its always about getting lots of points and beating every other folding team. you remind me of a crazy christian who asks every damn person to go to bible study and then you give them crap if they cant come that night. if they dont want to fold, let them be, its not a big deal.

iJon

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I Will BUY you a NEW Processor*!
*Paid for by me, Jeremiah Bornemann.

[/SIZE]

Ok, do you want my address? I want a Dual 900MHz G4. I will fold then.

I think folding is cool on any computer but your own. I have a fast PC that I ran folding on for about a day, and it just made the thing run like 40 degrees hotter. So yea, it sucked

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
i fold here @ work on a p4 and its not NEARLY as fast as the 1ghz G4 eMac @ home. it took a week less on the emac than it did at work.

(yes, they both ran approx. the same # of hours)

Anyhow, i bet a dual G5 would scream @ folding. Suh-weeeet...

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by MacAztec

I think folding is cool on any computer but your own. I have a fast PC that I ran folding on for about a day, and it just made the thing run like 40 degrees hotter. So yea, it sucked

im sorry to hear that.

you should get a new heat sink even if you don't fold. every once in a while computer does need to use 100% cpu. normal cpu temp is about 35 degrees and if you raise it to 75, that could be bad--even for a short period of time.

wait, just realized you might mean fareneheit instead of celcius. in that case it is not AS drastic, but still. look into a case fan to help pump air out.

- bert

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by bertinman
im sorry to hear that.

you should get a new heat sink even if you don't fold. every once in a while computer does need to use 100% cpu. normal cpu temp is about 35 degrees and if you raise it to 75, that could be bad--even for a short period of time.

wait, just realized you might mean fareneheit instead of celcius. in that case it is not AS drastic, but still. look into a case fan to help pump air out.

- bert
are you talking about c or f. my p4 gets about 110 f during normal use. 140 f when i play games.

iJon

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by iJon
are you talking about c or f. my p4 gets about 110 f during normal use. 140 f when i play games.

iJon

i was talking C at first, but then the last part is if you are using F.

its not that big of a deal if its F -- if C, then deff get it checked out.

- bert

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.

You have bad reading skills.

Notice:
Read my infrence above, it will not shorten the lifespan of your if it does Shorten the lifespan of your computer And you can prove it...
computer,
I Will BUY you a NEW Processor*! ...

God, when you even try to twist my words, please the message is still posted there.

Originally posted by michaelrjohnson
i fold here @ work on a p4 and its not NEARLY as fast as the 1ghz G4 eMac @ home. it took a week less on the emac than it did at work.

(yes, they both ran approx. the same # of hours)

Anyhow, i bet a dual G5 would scream @ folding. Suh-weeeet...

Yeah we all know that the folding for mac sucks, its un-fortunatly coded poorly, the gromac units have improved somewhat but still not like it should be.

The G5 will kick if they code it for 64 bits! :)

Aztec, sorry for going off on you but man, please, I said if your comp dies because of folding, I would buy u a new processor, I didn't say comp because you were only complaining that it was making your comp hot.

BTW, guys I think he means F, cause I think he lives in Cal.

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA

BTW, guys I think he means F, cause I think he lives in Cal.

laugh, we are so off topic now, its funny.

i'm in California as well. But I just like using the SI system.

- bert

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Re: Folding

MrMacMan:

Ok, screw folding. This is why:

Its slow, as it takes like 5 days to do 1 WU on my mac, when it takes 1 day to do it on a similar PC. It uses your processor constantly (shorter CPU life). Its pointless on everyday computers.

I didn't buy my computer so I could run a program to help cure people. If I wanted to cure people, I would be a scientist. I folded for a few months, and realized it just shortens the life of your computer. So, yea, thats what I think.

you tell him dood!

haha... why use idle processor power on your computer when you could be out womanizing and playing football and such?!?! what a bunch of losers you folding idiots! this guy's not a scientist! don't try to force him into it! (though he does say it shortens the life of your computer, something that would only really be known through testing over time and such)...

awesome man! see you at the part-ay!

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Re: Re: Folding

Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
you tell him dood!

haha... why use idle processor power on your computer when you could be out womanizing and playing football and such?!?! what a bunch of losers you folding idiots! this guy's not a scientist! don't try to force him into it! (though he does say it shortens the life of your computer, something that would only really be known through testing over time and such)...

awesome man! see you at the part-ay!

Why...in every post...do you say something stupid like that. Womanizing, boozing, and partying. No matter what I say, you always talk about that.

And, I would also rather sleep my computer when its not being used, conserve energy.

I seriously dont understand you, you're a d*ck sometimes.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Whoa this thread came right out of left field and broadsided me like a fully loaded truck.

You people are taking this all way too seriously. People are taking sarcasm and jokes as if it's a threat to there manhood. Come on people if you don't want to fold fine. Just tell us you don't want to and go about your business don't come up with some sort of lame excuse about heat or processor load or something just say no and leave it at that.

Okay for those pushing folding on others. That's just not cool man. It's one thing to answer peoples questions about it and make people aware of what it's for and what it takes. It's completely different if you're making threats against someone for not folding.

You're all just taking this a little to personally. Lighten up or leave!! There's no reason for this to continue.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Re: Re: Re: Folding

Why...in every post...do you say something stupid like that. Womanizing, boozing, and partying. No matter what I say, you always talk about that.

And, I would also rather sleep my computer when its not being used, conserve energy.

I seriously dont understand you, you're a d*ck sometimes.

stupid is as stupid does

fold on macbandit!

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by MacBandit
Whoa this thread came right out of left field and broadsided me like a fully loaded truck.

You people are taking this all way too seriously. People are taking sarcasm and jokes as if it's a threat to there manhood. Come on people if you don't want to fold fine. Just tell us you don't want to and go about your business don't come up with some sort of lame excuse about heat or processor load or something just say no and leave it at that.

Okay for those pushing folding on others. That's just not cool man. It's one thing to answer peoples questions about it and make people aware of what it's for and what it takes. It's completely different if you're making threats against someone for not folding.

You're all just taking this a little to personally. Lighten up or leave!! There's no reason for this to continue.

i think we should close this thread, just so it doesn't continue. I'm very bad at bringing dead horses back from the dead just for a few more kicks.

- bert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.