Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
I'm getting a PowerMac sometime soon and want to add a second hard drive pretty much straight away.

I'm looking at two on eBuyer that are priced well but just wondered if anyone had any advice.

Ones I'm looking at are:

Western Digital WD2500JD 250Gb 8mb Cache 7200rpm Serial ATA

or

Maxtor 6L250S0 Diamondmax 10 250GB 7200rpm Serial ATA150 16mb Cache

Thanks
Steve

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
nomad01 said:
I was more interested to see if anyone was going to say "STAY AWAY from X brand"

Lookup your candidates in the reliability survey.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If you want silent, I would look at the Samsung SpinPoint P120, but it's not in the reliability database either. I have a P80 in my Cube and I am happy with it.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Get a Seagate.

Nice 5-year warranty and nearly dead silent.

I had four of them in my last PM.

The Maxtor in my PM sounds like a hamster on a wheel compared to my nice, quiet Seagate.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
iGary said:
The Maxtor in my PM sounds like a hamster on a wheel compared to my nice, quiet Seagate.

Heh heh. Free pet sounds like value for money though. :)

I'm looking at buying from ebuyer.co.uk and the user reviews on there for the WD and the Seagate both seem pretty good so I'll get one or the other.

Thanks for the input.

Steve

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Verify if the Seagate warranty does apply if you buy an OEM drive.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
cube said:
Verify if the Seagate warranty does apply if you buy an OEM drive.

I will but if it's just replacement warranty, for the cost, I wouldn't be *too* bothered if it wasn't covered. I'll be backing everything up anyway.

Good point though.

Thanks.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Get either a Seagate or an Hitachi.

I could tell you bad stories about pretty much all the brands of hard drives that are around today. Seagate and Hitachi are the least trouble prone.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
nomad01 said:
I will but if it's just replacement warranty, for the cost, I wouldn't be *too* bothered if it wasn't covered. I'll be backing everything up anyway.

Good point though.

Thanks.
Another warranty related point. Seagate offers 5 year warranties, Hitachi offers 3 years. What do the others offer for retail drives?

Some companies (or models of drives) are down to a one year warranty for the retail packaged drive. That tells me they don't expect them to last to 3 years with any decent amount of regularity.

Buy a drive that the manufacturer is willing to give the longer retail warranty. The OEM drives will be the same quality but may have shorter warranties. Also a lot of times you have to go through the correct OEM to get warranty service on an OEM drive.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Bear said:
Get either a Seagate or an Hitachi.

I could tell you bad stories about pretty much all the brands of hard drives that are around today. Seagate and Hitachi are the least trouble prone.

Hitachi is ex-IBM, so they have the worst historical reputation.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Bear said:
Another warranty related point. Seagate offers 5 year warranties, Hitachi offers 3 years. What do the others offer for retail drives?

Samsung gives 3 years even for OEM.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
cube said:
Hitachi is ex-IBM, so they have the worst historical reputation.
Actually not all of the Hitachi drives are off the old IBM production lines. Hitachi had their own drive business as well. Also, Hitachi has applied their own technology and resources to the forer IBM production lines.

And in truth, IBM had a couple of spectacular failures with one generation of drives that caused most of the IBM failure issues.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
Another vote here for the Seagate Barracuda if you're looking for a high-capacity drive. I've always found them to be very quiet and reliable.

If the extra storage isn't critical and you fancy a performance boost, pick up a 10,000 rpm 74GB Western Digital Raptor.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Bear said:
I have never used a Samsung drive, nor do I know anybody who has. Do they actually make their own? Or do they get drives relabeled from another company?

I have a P80. They make their own drives and have very nice tech. But they only make smaller drives with up to 2 platters (P120 has 125GB per platter).

Macabron

macrumors member
May 23, 2005
Durango, México.
I myself like the 300Gb maxtor, it is a little bit noiser then the seagate but the 16mb cache does make it feel snappy. Besides it makes the most sense in $. It is jus a little bit more than less storage and a lot less than those with 400 or 500Gb. My 2 cents.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Macabron said:
I myself like the 300Gb maxtor, it is a little bit noiser then the seagate but the 16mb cache does make it feel snappy. Besides it makes the most sense in $. It is jus a little bit more than less storage and a lot less than those with 400 or 500Gb. My 2 cents.

For 3 platters you can get a 400GB Seagate.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Seagate, or anything well reviewed WITH A COMPARABLE WARRANTY (which you won't find, so get a Seagate)

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
Another vote for Seagate. That's what came in my PM G5, and I added another recently with which I'm very pleased. Quiet...no problems.

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
Bear said:
I have never used a Samsung drive, nor do I know anybody who has. Do they actually make their own? Or do they get drives relabeled from another company?
I am not 100% sure but I think they make their own, Samsung is actually a brand that makes lots of things that are put inside other people's products, e.g. the memory for the iPod nano.

I have 2 maxtor drives, one western digital and one samsung, the samsung is the only one that didn't get noiser with time, it is 20Gb and at least 5 years old, it looks identical externaly to the need ones, I guess the new ones should have improvements to make then even quiter and more reliable (i'm guessing).

JasonGough

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Manchester, UK
uaaerospace said:
Another vote for Seagate. That's what came in my PM G5, and I added another recently with which I'm very pleased. Quiet...no problems.

Sounds cool.

I was recomended the Seagate Barracuda from the ProTools forum, cos its quite and reliable.

Do the Seagate drives come in all PowerMacs or do they just put in whatever they can get their hands on at the time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.