Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
:mad:

Naw, just kidding. While I wish they could ship sooner (just itching to get a new G5 to replace my old school iMac!), I can understand it takes awhile to get these things out. And two months isn't that long, is it? :p

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
yeah, my ship date for a BTO Dual 2GHz is "On or before 9/2/03". boooo! what's funny is the rest of my order is already here (2 Samsung 172W LCDs, iSight, AirPort Extreme Base, DVI/ADC adapter...)

MOM

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
San Francisco
Hmm, page 2. I guess Apple is not a very reliable source for rumors ; )

Ya, I know, that's not why its on page 2. I wouldn't be surprised if this "rumor" doesn't pan out. They'll either be two weeks early or two weeks late.

phampton81

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Everyone knew (including Apple) that if the G5 was not introduced at WWDC, despite current status of said machines, Steve Jobs would have been castrated so I think that no one should look down on Apple for having such a late ship date.

elo

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2003
Quite right. I'll be surprised if they can keep it, though.

elo

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
On a side note:

Originally posted by JtheLemur
yeah, my ship date for a BTO Dual 2GHz is "On or before 9/2/03". boooo! what's funny is the rest of my order is already here (2 Samsung 172W LCDs, iSight, AirPort Extreme Base, DVI/ADC adapter...)

Are you sure the 17Ws are Mac compatible? I've heard they're not.. (their native resolutions) I love the 172T though :)

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
I think they'll be on time this time. Reasons? There are no reasons when you've got heroin.

Anticipat3

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
On a side note:

Are you sure the 17Ws are Mac compatible? I've heard they're not.. (their native resolutions) I love the 172T though :)

Yes, I love my 172T :) Probably the best $600 I ever spent on a computer part.

The 20" Cinema would have been ok too... but I can buy two of these 172T's for that cost ;)

Does anyone know if they make an ADC to DVI adapter?

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
Originally posted by JtheLemur

I thought that the computer already came standard with a DCI/ADC adapter... did you buy an extra one? Or was that an ADC or DCI/VGA adapter? probably the latter, seeing that you bought 2 DCI monitors. Yeah, i'm feeling you, my BTO 2Ghz Dual is also "Shipping on or before 09/02/2003" I'm really taking a lot of stock in that 'before' though, and hoping Apple will come through, because arguably, this was the most they have EVER come through, on anything. I am just salivating at the thought of this computer... I didn't get a display yet, does anyone have any idea where I can get a cheap LCD?

tysonrinderknec

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2003
Stuttgart, Germany
Originally posted by mxpiazza
I thought that the computer already came standard with a DCI/ADC adapter... did you buy an extra one? Or was that an ADC or DCI/VGA adapter? probably the latter, seeing that you bought 2 DCI monitors. Yeah, i'm feeling you, my BTO 2Ghz Dual is also "Shipping on or before 09/02/2003" I'm really taking a lot of stock in that 'before' though, and hoping Apple will come through, because arguably, this was the most they have EVER come through, on anything. I am just salivating at the thought of this computer... I didn't get a display yet, does anyone have any idea where I can get a cheap LCD?

I haven't bought a desktop in a while, but by the looks of the Apple store, you will need a DVI/ADC (or is that ADC/DVI? who knows!) for one of them. I say this because if you configure a second monitor on apples site, they include teh 99$ adapter in the price. Bummer is so expensive, and i doubt video cards will support 2x ADC any time soon...thats a lot of power.
I'm going with a Cinema 20 and a 15in LCD studio display for tear-off menues in maya. I found an old DVI one on ebay.

Hey, its mine, no one bid on it! haha

EDIT: Ok, im just confused...its very early. the comparison to the applestore isn't really relivent, because YOU need conversion in the other direction. Maybe apple does bundel that...i have no idea.

Anticipat3

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
DVI to ADC is the $100 adapter... it lets you plug a cinema display into a DVI Port.

ADC to DVI would let me plug a DVI monitor into a ADC plug... the reason I'd like to do this is that I would like to just keep my TV plugged in as well as my DVI monitor, and not swap plugs whenever I want to use my TV out to watch a movie.

Belkin sells one made for teh G4 powermacs for $35, but I don't know if Apple has them at all, or if that would work for the new G5... I would think so, right?

DoJo

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Tempe, AZ
Originally posted by Freg3000
When do people expect these machines to get to Apple stores to try out?

A rep at my local Apple store said mid-August.

I bet we'll see long lines waiting to play with one of these.

DoJo

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Tempe, AZ
Originally posted by Freg3000
When do people expect these machines to get to Apple stores to try out?

A rep at my local Apple store said mid-August.

I bet we'll see long lines waiting to play with one of these.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
whoa guys, I got the DVI/ADC adapter for a completely different monitor and computer... I just mentioned it because I bought it along with all the other stuff at the online Apple Store (except the Samsungs)...

ZildjianKX - the 172W's not Mac-compatible? Uh oh... time to unpack one and try it out on my PowerBook... the native resolution on them is 1280x768... argh now I'm worried! That would really really stink if I had to return them. Not to mention that that's a real downside to the video hardware in my PowerBook or G5 (once it arrives that is) as 1280x768 is a 16:9 screen ration - so perfect for FCP...

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
Sure enough, the 172W does NOT work with my 12" PowerBook. This is a huge issue! I asked my Apple rep to forward this issue to a tech: what if they don't work with my G5 that is on order? They already do not work with the 12", and if they do NOT work with the G5, then that sorta qualifies as false advertising, as they do NOT work with Macs! I have not tried it on a G4 yet, but will...

[mod. edit - Don't circumvent the profanity filter.]

BigJayhawk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New Jersey
Option to Ship Together

JtheLemur makes a good point (although that wasn't precisely the topic).

Remember, if you are going to order items that are not currently shipping (SUCH AS THE G5), Apple (or anyone else for that matter) will ship all other items immediately.

Why is this important? BECAUSE THEY IMMEDIATELY CHARGE YOU FOR THEM TOO!

So, unless you are ordering items that you would be happy to use with your current computer (and pay for NOW), it would be wise to specify to ship the order when all items arrive. That way you aren't charged until the shipment ships COMPLETE!

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
We're Looking At A Long Period Of Labor 'til January

Originally posted by DoJo
A rep at my local Apple store said mid-August. I bet we'll see long lines waiting to play with one of these.
Santa Clara CA Apple Store (closest to Cupertino) said they wouldn't be getting any G5's in before the END of August. I looked at the calendar. The last two days of August are a Saturday and a Sunday. Think Apple will standardize on a party for that weekend. If not, we will know there is going to be quite the waiting game in September, October, maybe even beyond that for the 64-bit Panther.

The cue for G5's already pre-sold could be so huge that Apple might be causing itself more shipping delay problems if it throws a "shipping now" party at the stores. On the other hand, what the heck. These delays are something we've learned to live with for 20 years now. And this time one may be able to circumvent that cue with a credit card at an Apple Store as each receives their semi-weekly allocations each Monday and Friday.

it's been since 1999 when apple last introduced a new generation Mac and that was way more incremental than this time. I would say this is the most dramatic shift in power ever seen in any computer system's development. I think we're in for a long Autumn of waiting for boxes and benchmarks and real world tests and boxes and Panther and 64-bit optimized updates etc. etc. etc.

The January 2004 San Francisco MacWorld Expo 20th Anniversary Birthday Party is what the rest of this year will be about preparing for. As the Mac leaves its teenage years, we can truly see a much more adult Mac going forward. This is no more immature whimp with sand being kicked in his face on the beach by P4 bullies. No. No. No. This G5 Mac guy is pure power that may have no peer for years to come thanks to it's old arch rival in the infamous 1984 SuperBowl Mac introductory commercial - IBM - "We Shall Prevail." And both did.

Looking forward to an amazing year in history as G5 Macs and Panther come into full fruition in 2004. :)

voicegy

macrumors 65816

Attachments

• eyegonomic.jpg
    eyegonomic.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 2,790

The Shadow

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Re: G5 PowerMacs Ship Dates in September

Originally posted by Macrumors
Ship dates for PowerMac G5 orders are set for early September as of last check.

Maybe that's why it's better to just buy first hand from a store. Personally, I'd never buy anything expensive I couldn't get my mits on first.

I've talked to a number of Apple resellers in Sydney, Australia and they're all saying they'll have stock in by late July. One says Apple advised them 2nd week of July, but as they think Apple are usually late with deliveries, they're telling their customers end July, so as not to disappoint them.

Anyway, I'll let you know if it happens.

Best Regards,

TS

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
Shadow, definitely keep us & the community updated... 2nd week in July seems extremely early! =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.