Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hudsoncarter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2014
South Carolina
So I have a G5 quad and it boots ok, then the fans start to get pretty loud (I don’t believe full speed but I would say faster than it should be, but then after a couple of minutes, it freezes up and goes to sleep (sometimes it just freezes on what ever screen your on). I checked the LCS and it sounds like fluid is running through it ok (It is a Delphi LCS but no leaks) but its hard to know for sure if fluid is running through ok without taking it out. I saw what appears to be the red #7 LED under the ram slot turned on for a very short time and then the G5 goes to sleep. I can still wake it from sleep but idk why it keeps doing this. I suspect that it is an overheating issue, but could it be that there is just air in the LCS system? I haven’t done the research on that yet. I used istat menus and it seems like cpu a is running much much hotter than cpu B (Its in Fahrenheit). The cpu temps seemed to start out around the same temp, but that 200 degree F was about 2 mins before it went to sleep again. Now idk if the MAC OS X favors cpu A first and then under heavier load uses cpu B, but those temps do seem like the culprit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 230

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I too suspect LCS funniness as your temperatures seem VERY high. Are you sure the LCS pumps are running?

Also, if you haven't done so, thermal calibration might not be a terrible idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Just to clear a couple things here...

The G5 Quads have the revised Panasonic LCSs instead of the Delphi LCSs used in the '04 models. They're supposed to be more reliable and less failure prone.

The brief LED #7 is a checkstop. It will turn on and off whenever the machine is powered on, powered off, goes to sleep, or wakes from sleep. It's perfectly normal.

hudsoncarter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2014
South Carolina
Just to clear a couple things here...

The G5 Quads have the revised Panasonic LCSs instead of the Delphi LCSs used in the '04 models. They're supposed to be more reliable and less failure prone.

The brief LED #7 is a checkstop. It will turn on and off whenever the machine is powered on, powered off, goes to sleep, or wakes from sleep. It's perfectly normal.
But I see that it has a Delphi sticker on the LCS which like you had mentioned, I thought all quads had the Panasonic ones.
[doublepost=1566087749][/doublepost]
I too suspect LCS funniness as your temperatures seem VERY high. Are you sure the LCS pumps are running?

How do I check thermal calibration? Is that through the use of a cd?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    784.3 KB · Views: 170

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not sure why, but this is a common G5 misunderstanding: it's the original LCSs that were Panasonic and faulty (despite it being a quality brand otherwise). The Quad got the more-trustworthy Delphi ones (Revision A and B, neither proven to be better than the other AFAIK, despite what some may say). It is recommended for those with the 2.7GHz Dual-Processor G5s to find and install the Delphi ones from the Quad, as they are (apparently) compatible. There are sources for all this, but I'd have to go link-hunting... Edit: Here's a prominent one: http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2014/04/long-life-computing-plus-quad-g5-cpu.html

I wish I had an input to assist with the trouble at hand, though. All I can say is that my functioning Quad starts off at about 47ºC with fans at 1250 RPM and "caps" at 64ºC or so at 3000 RPM. Very tame.

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I'm not sure why, but this is a common G5 misunderstanding: it's the original LCSs that were Panasonic and faulty (despite it being a quality brand otherwise). The Quad got the more-trustworthy Delphi ones (Revision A and B, neither proven to be better than the other AFAIK, despite what some may say). It is recommended for those with the 2.7GHz Dual-Processor G5s to find and install the Delphi ones from the Quad, as they are (apparently) compatible. There are sources for all this, but I'd have to go link-hunting...

I wish I had an input to assist with the trouble at hand, though. All I can say is that my functioning Quad starts off at about 47ºC with fans at 1250 RPM and "caps" at 64ºC or so at 3000 RPM. Very tame.

Are you serious? How did this misconception start?

Can anyone else with a Quad confirm this?

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
Can anyone else with a Quad confirm this?
I found one of the most prominent links. I edited my previous post to include it now. Here it is, from Cameron Kaiser himself: http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2014/04/long-life-computing-plus-quad-g5-cpu.html

"[...] There is a lot of confusion over which will work and what LCS the Quads came with. Most systems I've encountered have a so-called "version 1" Delphi assembly with a single pump."

"[...] Although Apple used Panasonic LCSes on some older G5s, they never used them on the Quads (even I got this wrong until I did my research)."

For reference, mine is the less-common "version 2" or "revision B" that comes with 2 pumps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.