Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kherdin

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
Well, considering that this particular person is finding bugs w/ Panther starting up on the G5 Xserve, I am guessing its still some time away.

EDIT:

Of interest, here's the whole body of the email:

Hi to all REAL testers. This is an issue on which i am not able to file a log because it happens at startup.

Exactly it's now 2 days ago i cannot start up when a XServe G5 is hooked up. It locks up at: Loading Rendezvous Additional Ressources.

Now even if the XSG5 is disconnected, it won't start up fully and locks up at: Compiler Daemon - TO 0x700 Network Issue. Then a kernel panic like in Jaguar appears.

Can anyone help me? p.s. that kernel isn't logged.

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
good news: xserve g5 probobly in late-ish development

bad news: its still has issues:(

edit: needed to make late>late-ish

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
Re: G5 XServe release?

Originally posted by coconn06
Are there any rumors (reliable or not) suggesting a release date for the G5 XServe?

I don't remember hearing anything since right after WWDC

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I hope they take all that wasted airspace in the Xserve Cluster Node and make it quad G5s!

wms121

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2003
Actually "16 G5's per Xserve" is possible

depends on what G5 IBM sends over...

They are putting 4 chips on each POWER5 MCM and could definitely put many more 970's ;(or 980's)?

Suppose you had a 5 GHz POWER5 equivalent IBM 980 module.
4 chips per MCM and 4 MCM's per Xserve. If you used liquid cooling like they are considering for the large notebooks, then 10
Xserves per rack :

4 x 4 x10 x 14.4GFlops x 2.5 = 5.7 Teraflops

41 1U's would be ~ 22 Teraflops per rack

That is five times more computing power more than what Virginia Tech is putting in a very big closet.

This stuff is getting very interesting.

100 Petaflops is considered "very near" the equivalent to human true mental computing capacity.

Maybe software is the only real issue.

<---wants a VA Tech data link at 10GB/s

Alexander

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
If you assume the post is legit (which I don't, btw), it doesn't say anything about when an XSG5 may become available -- it sounds like he claims to be having issues when it is "connected" (to what? Xgrid?). So it sounds like either Xgrid or XSG5 aren't ready for prime time, but the other may be. On the other hand, they may be slated to be introduced together.

But yeah, I'm not buyin' it.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
The brain CPU

Originally posted by wms121
100 Petaflops is considered "very near" the equivalent to human true mental computing capacity.

Yes, but computers do not waste their CPU resources thinking about sex and food. Plus it does not matter how smart you are, the MPEG2 video will render faster on the CPU.

achmafooma

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Northern Virginia
Re: The brain CPU

Originally posted by Sol
Yes, but computers do not waste their CPU resources thinking about sex and food. Plus it does not matter how smart you are, the MPEG2 video will render faster on the CPU.
lol - that's because our brains don't have the codec.

We can process and render full motion video instantaneously. Think of a scene, any scene, real or imagined... run through it in your head. That's processing and rendering a movie as much as anything in a G5 Xserve could be ;-).

We just don't have a way to export the data, we don't know what format it's in, etc. But our brains can already do what computers do effortlessly and instantaneously.

Should be interesting to see what happens when computers do start reaching processing capabilities on par or beyond that of the human brain. Will they just "wake up" at some point (as Robert A. Heinlein explains in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'), or will they remain unintelligent machines?

Food for thought.

But this is very off-topic. Not sure if the post is real or not, but I think it's simply logical that a G5 Xserve is in the works. The sooner the better!

So long as they work, lol.

How are the Xserves selling anyway? I used to be in IT and still know some people who are, they are taking Apple more seriously than ever before (a year and a half ago they'd laugh if somebody said Macintosh in their presence... now they seem to have an intrigued curiosity). I'm wondering if anybody in IT is actually BUYING Mac servers now.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
8-Way limit on 970

The 970 has 3 coherent processor interconnects and is thus limited to an 8-way configuration (2^3=8). If you want more you need to go to a grid configuration or use Power4's or Power5's.

By the way, here is a copy of the now infamous post:

Hi to all REAL testers. This is an issue on which i am not able to file a log because it happens at startup.

Exactly it's now 2 days ago i cannot start up when a XServe G5 is hooked up. It locks up at: Loading Rendezvous Additional Ressources.

Now even if the XSG5 is disconnected, it won't start up fully and locks up at: Compiler Daemon - TO 0x700 Network Issue. Then a kernel panic like in Jaguar appears.

Can anyone help me? p.s. that kernel isn't logged.

Mit freundlichen Gr|ssen

Christian Leduc

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Re: Re: The brain CPU

Originally posted by achmafooma
We can process and render full motion video instantaneously. Think of a scene, any scene, real or imagined... run through it in your head. That's processing and rendering a movie as much as anything in a G5 Xserve could be ;-).

We just don't have a way to export the data, we don't know what format it's in, etc. But our brains can already do what computers do effortlessly and instantaneously.

Hmm, we are way off topic, but try that little thought exercise again:

Imagine a man walking down a busy city street - now how much detail are you actually seeing of the cars, the shop windows etc, the man's face and clothing, without slowing to a near freeze frame or zooming in to a partial view and "rendering" the details up as it were?

I think the brain is fudging over the details to give the impression of more bandwidth than it actually has. A kind of detail compression codec that prioritises movement over details (Good for hunters and threat assessment). Nowhere near the information required for full motion video.

Or is it just MY brain :D

wms121

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2003
more "brain cpu " calculations...

8-way only huh?

Is that direct interconnect or can you use a memory/processor crossbar switch?

Also heat issues may make a 16 cpu Xserve a "zServe"...i.e. an IBM custom box..not an Apple system. However it could use a 64 bit Java2 chip and/or other os's. Black zServe AIX box. White zServe True64 or Linux box. Blue zServe a MacOS X or XI box.

100 Petaflops is based on 10 Trillion neurons per brain, neural "noise clock" between 100 and 10,000 usecs, and 20-50:1 data compression using genetic algorithms or similar. The OS would be based on a Doug Lenat type program (OPENCYC iII or something) and use 256 bit emulators for each neuron (1024 bit or 4096 bit emulation possible). This would allow for chemical memory modeling with 3D templates downloading at usec speed ..and even a Russian "PSI model" for outer reality influences in the nsec range. The Russians have measured some 'brain noises' at over 400 MHz..and could be a type of stimulus-response to outer EM type "networks"..quantum noise etc..

Even a quad Xserve would still be better off with a liquid system.

Cray/SGI might build one for Apple if IBM wasn't interested.

Hey Virginia Tech...you guys gonna let us rent time on your "grid system" or not?

<--gee now what

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
HOAX

It's totally a hoax.

1) they guy posts HEAVILY NDA'ed info on an open list. He'd never get close to a G5 xServe without having this amply explained to him. He also posts what appears to be an NDA-Agreement number which would have had his xServe pulled faster than you can say... something fast.

2) This was actually pointed out to him on the list... don't talk about NDA'ed products on an open list.

3) He post 2 more notes on the supposed xServe G5 today, even after being warned by list members. Still Apple doesn't come down on him.

4) He'd have to be from a rather important client to beta test an xServe G5 yet his email if from some generic German portal... bluewin.ch Where is the company info? domain? sig?

5) In his last post (still from bluewin.ch) his .sig claims
"Christian Leduc
Apple. Lounge
(Future ;-) Localizing Webmaster Apple.ch / at
Switzerland
cleduc@solnet.ch
(soon: cleduc@lounge.apple.com)"

Can you say wishful thinking? His .sig brags about all the jobs and domains he will have.. some day.

total hoax. I'm surprised he hasn't been banned from the xGrid list yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.