Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: G5's In January

Originally posted by applemacdude
There will be a G5 announced in MWSF. I got this information from a very important person at Apple. He's my friend and I can't risk his job and won't say anything else.

I doubt it unless IBM has moved up it's schedule. Moto's last G4 is due in jan with IBM's power4 core due next summer. I don't think Moto would take the G5 name if it's just a faster G4 on new mobo? Then what would you call the power4 core 6 months later? This doesn't jive with what I've been told unless Apple is maybe scrapping the G4+ and going right to the power4 core.

Akira

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2002
The Netherlands
Ahem!

Why would the switched Apple-newbie's be 'Yikesed' by Apple if thy would launch a G5 tower Jan 2003?
Most of them bought a iMac or eMac, I presume, and we're talking about G5 towers here...

by the way, the Switch-campain is US only, I think... anyway, As far as I know Apple doesn't run a Switch-campain here in Europe...

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
I would be amazed if Apple launched a "G5" in early 2003 because they just came out with their DDR tower mobo. They can't afford to make em and then throw them away a few months later.

The PCI G4's were short lived because they used the G3 mobos... a very different situation from what we have now.

There will be no "G5" in early 2003, at least not one that replaces the current tower lineup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.