Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rekras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2001
NJ
what's all this i keep hearing about a G5 not coming out until 2003, I figured they'd be coming out at MWNY this year, what's the deal people???:confused: :confused: :confused:

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Falleron

I think that was joke!! Two weeks ago!!

Well I'm not bloody joking; I am an insider at Apple and good friends with Jobs and he told me himself he will have the G5 released in 2 weeks ago. He also said that his new machine is being designed to look like a G5 but they are putting in a special release G6 chip instead.

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
No, it will not be at MWNY. Look at it through a marketing point of view everyone here hopefully knows about x-mas right (ok so maybe I don't get out much). Anyway apple has big sales for x-mas so they are not going to put out a new computer right before x-mas not they put out a new one way before x-mas because the first computer they put out they don't earn as much money so you out out a G5 before MWNY and just maybe up the speeds maybe a new bus at MWNY so you earn more.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Hemingray
G6?! Say what? Uhhh...

Oh yeah, the G6 is a 17 pipeline stage processor running 1MB of BACKSIDE cache and 5MB L2 Cache but no L3 Cache as yet. It is currently running at 9.7Ghz but SHOULD be expandable up to NEARLY 15GHz if Motorola can get their act together.

Steve Jobs is quoted as saying "**** this is ****ing fast mother****er"

bunge

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2001
As for the summer release idea, I think sooner would be better in order to capture some of the school purchases. And if they are released before MWNY then all of the revision 1.0 bugs could be ironed out for a major roll out in NY.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Well heck why not just skip the G5 and G6 and get a G7 out...I mean that thing outta run at 20-30 Ghz. I can see it now...the first computer with liquid cooling...hehe

marco114

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2001
USA
APPLE EMPLOYEE TELLS ALL!!!

you guys owe me BIG for this. I captured it as it was happening on a very private Hotline server with an apple employee, who's alias has been changed in this text... nothing else has been altered..

anon: the G5 will be announced next month during Seybold i think like the 22-26 or something
anon: check out the starting G5: 1.2 gig PPC G5
anon: 256 DDR Ram
anon: NVidia3 64 video
anon: USB 1.0 (unlikely 2.0 will debut now)
anon: Firewire 2.0 aka Gigawire
anon: 60 gig harddrive
anon: Superdrive
anon: Gigabit ethernet
anon: Optical port * More on this later on
anon: $1699
anon: 1.8 gig PPC G5
anon: 1 GIG DDR Ram
anon: NVidia3 64 video (dual view)
anon: USB 1.0 (unlikely 2.0 will debut now)
anon: Firewire 2.0 aka Gigawire
anon: 120 gig harddrive
anon: Superdrive
anon: Gigabit ethernet
anon: Optical port
anon: $3299

anon: SUMMER MACWORLD.........
anon:
anon: Still tentative based on market conditions, etc.
anon:
anon: iMac (new) get USB 2.0, speed bump to top end of 1.0 gig
anon:
anon: iBook get USB 2.0, whole line
anon: 1 will remian 12 inch with 600 mhz G3
anon: rest will be 14.1 inch with G4 at 667 and 867
anon: graphics will be enhanced to radeon level.
anon:
anon: G5 tower will get USB 2.0 and POSSIBLE speed bumps (.2 gig each model)
anon: TiBook will get USB 2.0 and POSSIBLE speed bump (.2 gig each model)

anon: As for the TiBook, it has not been forgotten either.
anon:
anon: It WILL NOT HAVE A G5.
anon: It WILL break 1 gig with the G4.
anon: Graphics will be enhanced with more RAM but will STILL BE ATI (think Radeon 2 aka 8500)
anon: Same size configurations and look
anon: NEW batterey technology, based on same tech used in iPod. LONGER run time (8 to 12 hours from tests)
anon: 3 configurations.
anon: 1.0, 1.4 and 1.8 G4 at same price points. It WILL have Firewire 2.0 (Gigawire) and USB 1.0, and airport.

anon: i got news on OS classic
anon: Classic.
anon: Well, the days of classic are limited. With OSX being primary startup..... However, look for the venerable OS 9.2.2 to have three more bigger revisions, 9.3, 9.4 and finally 9.5. Although development willstop after 9.3 which will add some additional functionality with itools and webdav, and communication, 9.4 and 9.5 will be polishing and hardware compatibility updates. Most intriguging is the concept that 9.4 and 9.5 will NOT be standalong OS. Meaning you can run classic 9.4 within OSX but NOT as its own boot. This makes for a faster experience and discards some legacy code and optimizes things a bit. Apple knows many peopel will need classic ability for another few years, but they also want to push migration of OSX, so by having a classic layer yet no separate boot support for the newer machines they solve both issues. The early builds of the OSX only classic layer are surprising with 'classic' app performamce exceeding current 9.2.2 .

anon: oh ya Apples making a digital audio program!
anon: its going to be for pros
anon: and work side by side with FCP
anon: OS X
anon: Where is it going.?
anon: 10.2 is looking like a Feb/Mar release. Most likely with the new G5 towers in Mar.
anon: Its still a housekeeping release. Speed, tweaks of interface, bug squashing, etc.
anon:
anon: But 10.3 onward is where new functionality and features show up. Look for an integrated ability to use the digital hub apps. More customizable abilities of the interface (within reason, NOT SKINS), USB 2.0 support, and better driver support and a few new things never seen on a Mac OS.

Stock. Apple has realized MacWorld only announcements don't help the financial quarters as they should. So rather than announce every six months, they want to announce every 2-3 months. This keeps Apple in the news, in press, and helps the bottom line by having a 'hot new' product every 2 to 3 months. Just the early adopters alone will boost profits for the given quarter. It makes financial sense.
nobody: we're all disgruntled apple employees!
anon: Dual processor will be an option with either 1.4 or 1.8 as a BTO option. The G5 is more complicated to make dual (beyond my technical knowledge to explain why). But its screams with dual processors.

you know running a dual G5 system is like running 8 G4's at once* 80 gigaflop/sec

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen

Well I'm not bloody joking; I am an insider at Apple and good friends with Jobs and he told me himself he will have the G5 released in 2 weeks ago. He also said that his new machine is being designed to look like a G5 but they are putting in a special release G6 chip instead.

If you're friends with steve, how about you call him up and ask him what the hell is going on then? After you two have a nice chat, get on macrumors and tell us all about it...

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Six
If you're friends with steve, how about you call him up and ask him what the hell is going on then? After you two have a nice chat, get on macrumors and tell us all about it...

He actually called me after reading your post to have a laugh. He said he's just riding the waves, knowing that Mac lovers everywhere will continue buying and then, when he has streched the G4 to it's limit, the G5 will come out and blow the maket.

In fact, not only is Steve a reg. reader of Macrumors, he is also a poster and uses it as a basis of stiring you guys up since so many people here are gulible as all hell.

As a matter of fact, why don't I tell you who he is... it's me.
HAHAHAHAHAH
The turtle neck strikes again.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Come on guys, I tried my hardest to write that earlier note in a way so that you all knew I was full of **** and would have a laugh with me.

Some of you would believe anything if it was posted on one of these forums.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Now, back to the G5...

I really do think that Apple will introduce the G5 with their next PowerMacs. Why? Look at the iMacs. Who was absolutley sure that Apple would put G4's in them? It was mainly speculation, and people were saying stuff like "It would kick ass to have a G4 iMac!" Well, now that Apple has G4's in their consumer machine, they're going to need more to please their pro customers. The only way to do this, is make the PowerMac (baseline) 300 megahertz faster than the top of the line iMac, or come out with a G5.

I haven't heard much about the G5 from cruising the web lately (macminute, macuser, theregister, etc...) But from what I last heard, It was coming along pretty far in development, and must be nearly ready for release. Maybe Apple has extended their 'veil of secrecy' to the chip department of Motorola, and has the G5 under production and ready for release.

Now, as for a release tomorrow, I'm beginning to doubt it, but I'm not quite sure what to think. Seybold would be a great place to introduce G5's, but not a great time. That would leave too much time since the intro of the iMac, and Apple may lose out on pro customers. Now, tomorrow would be a great time. I'm sure every developer will still hear about it, and it will please them sooner, and keep them from switching to the dark side...

G5 or G4, tomorrow or later, I'm sure that Apple will continue to please us, I just hope that they would do it a little sooner...

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Now back to the G5

Originally posted by JOE40
Found this, thought we'd all be interested....

http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/15887.html:)

Is anyone else a little bit worried by the fact that the G5 is 1+GHz but the G6 is currently only aimed to get over 2GHz?

That does not leave much way for speed increases.

Sure, you can quote me the MHz myth but you can look at one companies MHz and compare, in most cases, they go up significantly on a proportional basis before the next upgrade.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by eyelikeart
if we are into 64 bit processors....or even more by that point....it won't matter.....we'll be way ahead of the game....

Well, we can hope, especially since Intel already has a 64-bit.
I am not saying that the G5 will not kick the **** (I'll add the *'s and save the server some effort - ;) -) out of the P4 but we do have to have a constant foresight further than what we want now.

I'll just have to trust that Apple would not stay with a company if they thought they would not be able to perform over the long term.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001

Well, we can hope, especially since Intel already has a 64-bit.
I am not saying that the G5 will not kick the **** (I'll add the *'s and save the server some effort - ;) -) out of the P4 but we do have to have a constant foresight further than what we want now.

I'll just have to trust that Apple would not stay with a company if they thought they would not be able to perform over the long term.

But Intel's 64 bit isn't in desktops IIRC, so it doesn't count.

Mike Gagne

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2001
Maui, Hawaii
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
Well heck why not just skip the G5 and G6 and get a G7 out...I mean that thing outta run at 20-30 Ghz. I can see it now...the first computer with liquid cooling...hehe

.......cause the G7 name is already taken.....the indusrialized nations call themselves the G7

Mike Gagne

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2001
Maui, Hawaii
Come on guys, I tried my hardest to write that earlier note in a way so that you all knew I was full of **** and would have a laugh with me.

Some of you would believe anything if it was posted on one of these forums.

madam, or tim allen, you might have tried too hard.....you are in the land of the macrabidfoamatthemouthwewantafasterG6andwewantitnow and the only thing they laugh at are the foibles of the PeeCee world. I thought you were hilarious.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.