Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
I've been keeping an eye out on folding phone technology for a while, feeling both incredulous and interested in it. The retail price on these things is outrageous! I purchased mine for $800 on a google fi special, and I am glad to say I don't regret buying the phone for that price. It's fast, a total joy to use both open and closed, and I even like the way it looks and feels.

The folding screen is fun to use - it is fun to look at when you have the phone halfway open. I like how the narrow folded-phone aspect ratio makes the phone easy to hold in my (smaller) hands. Using it open is fantastic! You can also stand the phone up vertically or horizontally when it's partially unfolded for taking pictures (there's a neat selfie mode where you can unfold the phone and use the front screen to see what your camera sees).

Mine still also looks and feels the same as it did when I unboxed it. From reddit I think most people manage to get a year or two of daily driver use before they have issues with the internal screen protector delaminating or whatever. I bought the extended/accidental damage warranty because I was worried I might break mine lol. So far no issues (and I've dropped it twice).

I don't know that it'll last 5 years like I'd easily expect a new iPhone to, but that's no surprise. I've always felt like high end android phones were a bit of a 'flex' because of that lol. But the way this one's holding up? Maybe they can! That would be neat.

Also, half-open is really fun to look at content on.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Fold 4 users ASSEMBLE! Lol. But I purchased mine through Samsung, paid 760$ (traded in the Fold 2).

I think you'll probably get some push back on the narrow (outer) display... that's a polarizing topic in foldable space, but I do agree taking selfies with the main camera is fantastic! I rarely use the inner and outer display selfie camera... doesn't make much sense when I can get better use with the main camera.

I like the modular aspect of the Galaxy Fold... being able to add accessories to it that way I can get more out of it. From adding a keyboard and mouse, plugging it up to a monitor and getting DeX (obviously, you can do that on any Galaxy device). But it's just a powerhouse type of device.. that's what so fun about it for me.

And I like how much Samsung has added features over the years optimizing the tablet experience.... from pinning the edge panel (some users still miss that) to adding more apps to the recent area on the taskbar. Things like that tips the scale in favor over other foldables (imo).

In terms of durability, mine has held up strong! No critical damages to it... there's some minor scratches, but not really too crazy. I'll have to really look for the scratches, but I don't think I'll be keeping it longer than 2 years. I think it's smart to be on a upgrade every-other-year type of system with foldables.

Given the cost factor and how companies tend to use the "incremental updates annually" system, I think the better experience is every other year. So, I'm looking forward to the Fold 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.