Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Hello there guys

I have currently an iphone 4s and would like to hear your thoughts on either getting iphone 5 or galaxy note 2, I do understand the differences between the hardware, It's more about people that have used Android vs iOS since I have neved used android before but the screen on the galaxy note is so tempting.

I do have an iPad, Macbook pro/retina and an iMac so I'm not sure how well andriod integrates to that.

Thanks.

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
This ones simple because they're so different. If you want something more portable and mobile, obviously get the iPhone. If not, then get the Note.

I jumped ship to the Nexus. Hated it. Hardware was junky, radios were bad, phone was just too big for comfort, speaker was weak, MMS pics from one friend wouldn't work, play store was a chaotic mess, and for some reason on Android phones when you receive a text, the screen doesn't light up....that really made no sense to me.

Safe to say I was dying to come back to my iPhone after I had said I had "gotten tired" of it.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
I personally have found no joy in Android, hence why I use an iPhone... I really really want to like it, some of the phones are pretty awesome. Every time I play with one I can't wait to get iOS back into my hands, maybe I'm dumb but I am in IT if that counts for anything.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I was checking out the S3 today because I wasn't thrilled with the iPhone 5 announcement. I left the store a bigger iPhone/Apple fan than ever. I'm sure some people do prefer them, and that's totally fine, but for me it ain't happenin'.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
I sold my 4s for the Galaxy Note LTE version.

I wanted a larger screen mobile device.

The phone feature is not important to me, but internet, email, etc is.
I found text on the 4s screen just too often too small.
And since iOS lacks decent text reflow/resize options I was pinch zooming then side scrolling.

The Galaxy Note solved that. After using the 4s when you first get a Note, it seems massive. After a day or 2, it's perfect and the 4s seemed far too small.

I'd never go back to a 3.5" smartphone, but I missed the iOS smoothness and since I use a iPad and Air, the iPhone is a great fit for syncing info between devices.

Was disappointed with the iPHone 5, same width meaning text will be the same small size using it in portrait mode, and flipped to landscape mode text will be larger but less overall info will be on the screen due to the format change.

I'm still planning to buy one and give it a shot, as I'd like to just get away from Android but wish Apple had of offered a 4" and 5" model and let the buyer decide.

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
ok you can find the comparision between iPhone 5 and Galaxy note here: ;)http://techwalls.com/gadget/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-note/

As I said, I'm aware of the hardware differences. It's more about how Andriod vs iOS people think it is and how is the bigger screen better/worse in the day life. Thanks for the link though.

----------

I sold my 4s for the Galaxy Note LTE version.

I'd never go back to a 3.5" smartphone, but I missed the iOS smoothness and since I use a iPad and Air, the iPhone is a great fit for syncing info between devices.

This was my first thoughts, though in youtube reviews, the Note 2 seems pretty smooth to me.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It's totally absurd to compare two very different devices, with distinctively different target markets.

I bought the first gen Note, just for fun. Carrying at least two phones daily, on the rare occasion I want to call someone I use the smaller of the two. For everything else the note served me well in liu of a small iPad.

Now that we are on the cusp of a small iPad (finally) i'll be using Apples smaller tablet as soon as available.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
This was my first thoughts, though in youtube reviews, the Note 2 seems pretty smooth to me.

Yes, it looks like the 2 is better than the LTE v1, but doubt the it's perfected like the iPhone, still very useable.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I own both the 4s and the Note LTE. Love them both. My iPhone is my personal phone, my Note is strictly for my business. I'm weird in that I really like both OS'es and I'm not sure I would ever be able to permenantly abandon iOS. It's such an excellent OS and it's app library is second to none

However, the Note is a phenomenal tool for me. It's a hybrid between my iPhone and iPad and it's extremely convenient for contract signing, video and photography marketing and taking money via credit cards. Clients like the SPen for signatures after running their deposits through the phone. I also use it for editing PDFs and with Documents to go, I often edit Word and Excel docs from the office. I definitely consider them different tools for me. Almost as different as channel locks and standard pliers.

As well, I enjoy doodling and With the 'S' apps for the pen on the Note, I'm often drawing pics, designing logos or drawing goofy stuff for my son

Not sure there could be two different devices honestly...at least when it comes to phones. They are as different as different can be. You must decide and the only way would be to spend some time with each

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
If you want a half ass tablet, shoddy OS, and an obnoxious wake board sized phone, get the Note2.

If you want the best app selection, the best support, the best ecosystem, and the most stable and reliable mobile operating system, you'll get the iPhone 5.

Whichever one fits your needs better is the right choice.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
I will go for Note 2 finally.
Need more storage than 64 GB and I can not be satisfied with a stupid stretch 4 inch screen

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
If you want a half ass tablet, shoddy OS, and an obnoxious wake board sized phone, get the Note2.

If you want the best app selection, the best support, the best ecosystem, and the most stable and reliable mobile operating system, you'll get the iPhone 5.

I see you've spent enough time with the Note 2 and the iPhone to for an objective opinion.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012

So it's possible that a "half ass tablet, shoddy OS, and an obnoxious wake board sized phone" could be the right choice? You've been in the pasture too long bud.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
To the OP,

Disregard what the haters and fanatics say. They don't offer an opinion other than "because it sucks". I've never owned an Apple product so I can't comment on iPhone vs Note 2. I have the original Note and will be picking up the Note 2.

If you're really on the fence and you're carrier has a remorse period, grab one and if you don't like it after a few weeks, return it and get the other one.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
As I said, I'm aware of the hardware differences. It's more about how Andriod vs iOS people think it is and how is the bigger screen better/worse in the day life. Thanks for the link though.

Noone has played with Jellybean + touch wiz yet so you won't get a genuine answer. Wait it out a little more...since i'm in the same boat, that's what I'm doing.

Only thing drawing me away from the note2 is if sometimes i'd prefer a smaller device, like a night out comes to mind.

But I def know that i'll get annoyed with iOS snail speed increment bumps over the next two years...

dilemmas!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.