Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
[Since my OP was moved, the title didn't apply...so I changed it. Cheers!]

Well, 3 years with iPhone, and I have moved on.

Not trying to start a debate or anything...just sharing my experience.

I have been a devout iOS advocate for the last few years. Bought my first iPad the first week it hit. I have a total of 3 iPads, 5 iPhones, 3 iPods, 1 Mac Air, and 3 modern iMacs in my classroom that I requested for video production. I am not giving up on all things Apple, just my cell phone.

I was eligible for a new phone months ago, but waited for the iPhone 5s. This past weekend, I actually went into the largest Houston Best Buy (out of town for me) to buy the iPhone 5s.

Although I bought 9" Nook on a clearance deal to experiment with, have a Google TV and thought seriously (for a few minutes) about the Nokia Lumina 41mp camera phone, I really assumed I would get another iPhone.

So, I figured if anybody in Houston had one, they would. They did not.

Out of curiosity, I asked if there was anything that was comparable to the iPhone camera.

The answer blew me away.

The guy said, "Are you kidding me? They are 2 years behind."

I thought he was talking about the other cell phones behind Apple.
I tried to clarify and he set me straight and said the iphone was way behind.

So, I let them show me around. They took me to the Note, which had just came out on Friday. They didn't have in stock...sold out right away. But they had one on display that I played with.

I also had them print up the specs. iPhone to Note3.
One of the things I was surprised to see was that the iPhone only does 60 fps at 720. The note does 60fps at full HD. In fact, top video res is at 2k, not 1080.

2+ hours later, I was pretty sure I was ready to switch. Had to go home to my local Best Buy, but I landed 2 GN3s for my wife and I.

Really, until yesterday evening, I wasn't 100% I was going to keep it. The phone is very complex, with every imaginable customization you can imagine. I didn't have time to mess with it Sunday evening, or Monday. But have been tweaking it last night and tonight. I have only played with the camera for about an hour so far. No side by side tests yet, but just with some simple test, like I found the 2 sec self timer, all of the shooting modes, voice mode to trigger the shutter, how to control the ISO, white balance, etc. I really like it. So much freedom! I wish the ISO went higher, but the fact that I can force 100 ISO is more important.

I didn't really start liking it, except for the screen size, until I started tweaking it. There are SOOOOO many settings...and different places for different settings. iPhone is so simple...it is apps on the main screen and that is pretty much it. GN3 swipes and wipes from every direction with different things. Settings from the top. Magazine from the bottom. Shortcuts on the left. AND LOTS more. I turned off the double press of the button until I can figure out how to make it do what I want...since I am so use to hitting 2x on my iPhone.

The fact is that if a JB from iPhone 5s was ready now, I probably wouldn't have switched. I have JBed every device, and spent a lot of time with the whole JB process, avoiding upgrades, reinstalling everything from scratch, every time a new JB has hit, just so I could do a few things that are easily done on Android.

I spent more time learning the new system tonight...pretty much the entire evening, tweaking, setting, trying to get really familiar with the device.

Wow! I am impressed and pleased with the switch.

The integration with Google Docs, which I use every day in my classroom, is very effective. The size of the screen is perfect. During a faculty meeting this afternoon, instead of trying to look up student data on my iPhone 4s, I had a very intuitive system to work with a beautiful, large screen. It was quite the attention getter with other teachers commenting that they wanted one.

I hope the camera holds up to my standard. I shot close to 10,000 photos on my iPhone 4 and 4s, and even won a photo contest with an iPhone shot. So, the camera is important to me (I teach high school photography), but I didn't want to go until January to get a new phone and decided enough was enough of waiting for the JB community.

The 4s served me well, but it was time to get something bigger...and hopefully better. I had toyed with the idea getting a mini, but figured I would still have a small, slow 3g cellular connection, and the mini would not really serve the purpose I wanted.

So, the 5.7" Galaxy Note 3, I decided, would do exactly what I wanted. I couldn't help but chuckle when I found the graffiti to text converter so effective on the Note...like the Newtons I bought nearly 20 years ago.

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
It's a personal choice but, your story is a bit flawed on facts

The 5S has 60fps in full HD and 120fps in 720 HD

Also samsung cheats on the benchmark testing for the Note 3 like they did on the S4, the raw scores are comparable to the 5S.

A note 3 is a different category more a mini than a phone, it's better to compare the 5S to a nexus 5.

Mega pixels don't tell the whole story: lens, pixel size and software are important to, only the end result counts, very good pics on the 5S.

In the end you are comparing your 4/4S to the note, which ofcourse is an easy win, with the 5S it would be at the minimum a draw.

Last but not least, store sales people usually have no clue what they are talking about besides a marketing/sales pitch. It's better to do some research on the web and read both sides of the story.

Yes the wait for a JB sucks, but with every new iOS version the JB becomes less of a necessity.

Be happy with the note, but do remember it is basically the same as the 5S in performance, on the cutting edge of technology and definately not 2 years behind.....

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.

See ya!

P.S. who really wants to read that long rant? Are you kidding me? Tell that story to your new friends.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I wonder there's an Android equivalent of the iOS sections of the MacRumors forums...and what it looks like. Is there a section for every version of every release for every type phone or tablet?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Note 3 beats the crap out of iPhone 5S ten times over. Yea I said it ...big whoop .. wanna fight about it

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
It's a personal choice but, your story is a bit flawed on facts

Also samsung cheats on the benchmark testing for the Note 3 like they did on the S4, the raw scores are comparable to the 5S.

Sorry, but how is Samsung cheating benchmark scores? Is it overclocking the CPU? Nope. Is it overclocking the GPU? Nope. Is it wishing into existence extra cores magically? Nope.

As for mobile benchmarks, they are and always have been, flawed. If I buy a a top end car, I'm not gonna ask for 0-60 times with the engine detuned to produce better fuel economy. I want the max times in optimal conditions with the engine in peak performance. Same goes for a phone. I want to know max specs, not neutered specs. Neutered specs is fine for the iphone, because you can't modify it in any way, so who cares.

This whole "everyone is cheating on benchmarks, but apple" line is nothing more than whining dribble. And really, does it matter? Does it make any difference to you or anyone else? No one will ever be able to see the difference .0000001 seconds makes in boot up times or 1-2 fps difference.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I spent a lot of time, money, and effort attempting to coax an experience I was happy with out of Android. I couldn't do it. For me, iOS delivers a better experience, with or without jailbreak. Jailbreak just makes it better.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

See ya!

It only took 2 posts to get the "don't let the door hit you" response.. I think that's a new record. Good job!!

P.S. who really wants to read that long rant? Are you kidding me? Tell that story to your new friends.

Yes, because the OP didn't buy another iPhone, he can't associate himself with cool people like you any longer.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Sorry, but how is Samsung cheating benchmark scores? Is it overclocking the CPU? Nope. Is it overclocking the GPU? Nope. Is it wishing into existence extra cores magically? Nope.

Basically when the phone detects a benchmark app is running, it enters a special mode that turns off all of the power saving features, and preloads the chips to go to a "maximum speed" mode that is not available to other non-benchmark apps.

By changing the name of the app, the researchers were able to get the normal everyday use numbers. The "cheat" gave the benchmark apps roughly a 20% increase vs normal apps.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...rking-adjustments-inflate-scores-by-up-to-20/

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Less than a week is not enough time to completely try out a new smartphone.. see if you feel the same in a month.

You may do.. I'm just saying, it's often not for a fairly long time with a new device that the irritating things about it rear their ugly heads.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Basically when the phone detects a benchmark app is running, it enters a special mode that turns off all of the power saving features, and preloads the chips to go to a "maximum speed" mode that is not available to other non-benchmark apps.

By changing the name of the app, the researchers were able to get the normal everyday use numbers. The "cheat" gave the benchmark apps roughly a 20% increase vs normal apps.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...rking-adjustments-inflate-scores-by-up-to-20/

Regurgitation of propaganda is still propaganda. Samsung and the other Android OEM's began doing this because mobile benchmarks have been and still are useless numbers, but they got tired of the media using their neutered specs.

Seriously, do you want specs from your PC when only 2 cores are running and not all 16? Or do you want max capabilities? I don't want to know what fps is with graphics set to low. This is such a pathetic attempt by the media to stoke the flames of fans into click bait for ad revenue. Nothing more. And as I said, this is most upsetting to Apple fans, because there is no way for the iPhone to equal the field. This is one of the issues with having a locked down os.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
Seriously, do you want specs from your PC when only 2 cores are running and not all 16? Or do you want max capabilities?

If we are talking max capabilities, why are Android phones still only 32 bit when the 5s is 64 bit? Before you say its over kill or unnecessary, many people would say the same with having an octocore phone whos OS isnt even optimized to fully utilize TWO cores, much less eight.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Another thread that has turned into a glorified pissing competition. For what is worth I can pee higher.....

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Regurgitation of propaganda is still propaganda. Samsung and the other Android OEM's began doing this because mobile benchmarks have been and still are useless numbers, but they got tired of the media using their neutered specs.

Seriously, do you want specs from your PC when only 2 cores are running and not all 16? Or do you want max capabilities? I don't want to know what fps is with graphics set to low. This is such a pathetic attempt by the media to stoke the flames of fans into click bait for ad revenue. Nothing more. And as I said, this is most upsetting to Apple fans, because there is no way for the iPhone to equal the field. This is one of the issues with having a locked down os.

I disagree. To draw a parallel, I look at it like having a car with a speed governor, for example the "Smart" cars.

If the car's computers will not let it exceed a set speed, that should be what is tested.

If the car manufacturer had a gps or other way to detect that they were on Autoweek's test tracks, and then disabled the limiter to boost the top speed during Autoweek's evaluation, it would be cheating in my opinion.

Samsung is doing basically the same thing by only allowing benchmark apps to get the 20% booted performance.

If there was a way for all apps to go into "benchmark mode" rather than just specific benchmark apps, your argument would be much more valid.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
If we are talking max capabilities, why are Android phones still only 32 bit when the 5s is 64 bit? Before you say its over kill or unnecessary, many people would say the same with having an octocore phone whos OS isnt even optimized to fully utilize TWO cores, much less eight.

Up until a few weeks ago, you didn't even know what 64bit meant, much less that Apple was going to use it on a mobile platform.

Apple went to 64bit because their end goal is to merge mobile hardware to desktop hardware, which means ensuring both OSX and iOS will be interoperable at some point down the line. Apple can see the future, and it isn't the Mac Pro or iMac. The PC market is dying. That said, 64bit processors doesn't directly imply performance, as you suggest. And the whole '64 bit' slogan wasn't the significant part of the CPU anyway. It is the ARMv8 ISA (essentially allowing for a reduction in the amount of time spent on memory transactions and still retain high efficiency.)

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
OP, next time try the shortened version:

"I bought a new phone and like it."

Enjoy your phone.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
Up until a few weeks ago, you didn't even know what 64bit meant, much less that Apple was going to use it on a mobile platform.

Sure I did, but Im a tech junkie. Most people have no clue what an octocore processor is but that doesnt stop Samsung and these other companies from marketing it and bragging about being the first to have a phone with it.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Beaumont

What is wrong with an editorial style blog, post, etc? Fortunately, we have the great ability to skim and skip over long details. I broke it into paragraphs for just those people who wanted to hit the highlights. I put more than your suggested line to help others that may be on the fence. I was more on the fence than I realized. And I know others are as well. We get stuck and go with what is familiar or because we have invested in accessories, etc. And I just about fell into that trap.

Anyway, I wanted to put some thoughts out there. I knew it would be controversial. I was surprised to see the post was moved...as it was specifically a jailbreak issue, to me. True, less of a need to JB as Apple has incorporated jailbreak hacks to the OS. But, there are still several Cydia apps I had paid for that I would have lost if I upgraded from 4s to 5s until a JB, mainly, MyWi.

Bottom line, if a JB was forth coming, or available now, I would probably not have switched. I have a lot of apps, including an expensive Ignition (LogMeIn) that is going to suck to have to rebuy.

One of the reasons for the long post was that I wanted to establish forethought. And that, I am NOT LEAVING Mac or MacRumors. I am typing on my MacAir right now, and use an iMac every day at work. I still have an iPad by my bed, and another one frequently in the bathroom (the poopy pad). I will continue use my iPhone 4 and 4s as timelapse and lightening cameras for a rig I built that includes a dslr and a bracket attached to the flash shoe to accept the two iPhones on top of the camera.

As one person said, a week isn't enough. True. At first, I really missed the iPhone. I have been carrying both on my hip. I still haven't bought any apps just in case I switch back. But, as I figured out things last night after 6 straight hours on the phone (I spent a lot more than that with my first iPhone 3+ years ago), things really fell into place.

I think one ley thing that motivated me to get this phone is the integration with GoogleDocs. I have been frustrated with Apple and Google Docs since day one. It has gotten better. But this is just, well, very smooth. The iOS Google Drive Spread Sheet still does not work perfectly. It is just crazy. And I depend on Google Drive every day, all day

I used the pen to take hand written notes today in a meeting. It was easy and fast. Much faster and a lot less annoying than trying to type notes. The option to convert notes to text later is amazing. Very smooth.

Voice dictation is some much faster and more accurate.

Predictive text is so much more intuitive, except for capitalizing the first letter all the time, entering text is much, much easier.

I miss our photo stream. I really miss iMessaging. There are some apps I have not found a replacement for, as well as numerous apps I paid good money for that I have to really think about. With the integration with Google Docs, there are a couple of note apps (aNote mainly), that I may go with out. Cam Scanner is the same. GoTasks (developed by a different person) has lost the ability to collapse a sublist of todo items. I am a loss for words about this. GasBuddy will not connect on the Note. The camera only goes to 800 iso...but I can see past that with the idea that the rest of the camera features make up for hardware quality. I am a photography teacher, so I know the difference between the lens and sensor, etc. Ultimately, a more function-able camera is more useful to me than the BEST image considering I have several high end camera and very nice lenses, etc.

But the thing that blows me away is the "spring board" and how easy it is to customize it. I didn't understand it at all on a Nook I rooted last week, but I finally figure it out...and it is very clearly done.

So, anyway, take this for what you want. Based on what I have accomplished with the iPhone over the last few years, I couldn't image switching. But, I did. Maybe in two years Apple will 1) have a bigger phone (I disagree that this is too big...after all, I carried a Newton in my pocket once upon a time...and I carried a 3g iPad I into stores until I activated an iPhone (I carried an iPhone for a year as a wifi camera). Point is, the Note is not a one handed phone, but it is a definitely not a mini. As I hold it in one hand, it is...the perfect fit. I just got the case in today...and it fits like a glove. And I will be using it a lot more tomorrow. I might even be able to walk around my classroom and take notes, enter grades, etc.

Cheers!

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Personally, I didn't find this a long read (I guess some people don't like reading at all, if they find this long :p) and made clear points.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
OP, I'm surprised that you think that the Note 3's pictures are amazing. I've seen the sample pictures compared to the 5s and they're crap.

When it comes down to genuine engineering, the 5s is superior. The Note 3 is significantly larger, has space for a larger battery and has more than enough space when it comes to internal design/layout.

The A7 chip is a marvel. In benchmarks it beats the Qualcomm Dragon 800 (GN3) and even the unreleased intel chip.

Don't be so quick to judge specs. AMD have been releasing 6/8 core CPUs and even advertise clock speeds of 4GHz+; but Intel blows AMD out of the water. When you compare specs you should focus on GigaFLOPS (computing power) and efficiency.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009

See ya!

Enjoy your phone.

1) The last time I looked there IS a forum for all things or options not iOS. People are free to post as they wish and how long they wish, nothing says you have to read it or comment on it. It's called Alternatives to iOS and iOS devices.

2) The realm of courtesy is NOT restricted to the strictly iOS forums. If you don't like the forum here, don't come looking, if it was posted by mistake in the iOS forums and it bothers you so much, bring it to a moderator's attention for them to move it.

3) Much as it might surprise you, (to those it applies) your poor sense of wit and assumption that your opinion is the defining one for everyone, is not met with the admiration that you might think.

4) And just because someone shares that they have switched from an iOS device does not mean that they don't have other products or interests in the products etc. We have just as much right to keep up on the latest tech and info on cross platforms as anyone else. This is not a "gentleman's club" with restricted admittance anymore, if it were they wouldn't have this forum.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.