Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
You have to get past the old "cheap" and "flimsy" plastic buzz words. The GS3 is made of polycarbonate, and there's nothing neither cheap now flimsy about it. Polycarbonate is one of the strongest materials you can use in a phone. It has hardness rated up there is kevlar. So unless you think kevlar is flimsy, then there's nothing flimsy or cheap about what the GS3 is built from. BTW, I don't think the 4S feels anymore sturdy than any other phone. To be honest, when I had my 4 and 4S, I thought it felt more fragile. The aluminum trim was easily scratched, heck even a case could scratch it, and the glass felt like it could break at any time. A co-worker broke their back glass by hitting a table corner with the phone in their pocket, that wouldn't happen with polycarbonate.

im inclined to agree with this. I'm very careless with phones and always end up smashing them to pieces, but i've dropped my s3 many times and it looks brand new.

still, always got that insurance to cling on to haha

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
You have to get past the old "cheap" and "flimsy" plastic buzz words. The GS3 is made of polycarbonate, and there's nothing neither cheap now flimsy about it. Polycarbonate is one of the strongest materials you can use in a phone. It has hardness rated up there is kevlar. So unless you think kevlar is flimsy, then there's nothing flimsy or cheap about what the GS3 is built from. BTW, I don't think the 4S feels anymore sturdy than any other phone. To be honest, when I had my 4 and 4S, I thought it felt more fragile. The aluminum trim was easily scratched, heck even a case could scratch it, and the glass felt like it could break at any time. A co-worker broke their back glass by hitting a table corner with the phone in their pocket, that wouldn't happen with polycarbonate.

Well yeah, if I took the battery cover off the S3 I could probably bend it in half it's so thin and plastic-like.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Take the back off your 4S and you could snap it quite easily. The point is that you dont use your 4S or SGS3 with the back removed.

The back doesn't come off unless I unscrew the screws and there's no reason for it to come off anyway. The Galaxy S3 back does come off if I need to replace / remove / put in the battery, put the sim card in / take it out, or put in an sd card / take it out. Of course you don't use it with the cover off but there are many occasions where it needs to come off.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
The back doesn't come off unless I unscrew the screws and there's no reason for it to come off anyway. The Galaxy S3 back does come off if I need to replace / remove / put in the battery, put the sim card in / take it out, or put in an sd card / take it out. Of course you don't use it with the cover off but there are many occasions where it needs to come off.

There just isn't many occasions, mine has been off once, to put the sim card in.

If you are going to compare the backs from 2 phones it must be like for like, you wouldn't be able to bend the back of a SGS3 while it was attached to the phone, similar to a 4S.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
There just isn't, mine has been off once to put the sim card in.

If you are going to compare the backs from 2 phones it must be like for like, you wouldn't be able to bend the back of a SGS3 while it was attached to the phone, similar to a 4S.

No, that's just an excuse for the fact that it does come off and is flimsy. I don't care how you compare it; it still comes off the phone and there's no denying that.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I never said you denied it. I was just saying how it doesn't matter how you compare the backs. The S3 back still comes off no matter how you compare it to another devices cover.

But if you want to compare something it should be like for like. On your comparison, the whole of the iPhone 4 is stronger than the back of a SGS3 and in that fact you are correct.

Take the back off your iP4 and compare it with the S3 for a true comparison.

The back comes off the SGS3 to allow the user the opportunity to change the battery, if he wants, or add storage, if he wants. The choice is there. Personally I have not needed either option but it is nice to know that the option is there for me.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Well yeah, if I took the battery cover off the S3 I could probably bend it in half it's so thin and plastic-like.

Yet and still its hardness is harder than glass.....imagine that. ;)

PS
Why would a person purposely put their battery cover through contortions? I could break the iPhone's glass in half, but that doesn't make sense either. :rolleyes:

2ndchancephones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
Denton, TX
This thread has gone down the wrong road...who cares about what/how a phone is like if you take the back off???

..and the whole 90 degree angle comment??? Exactly what kind of form do you want? Even the cheaply made GS3 has curved corners????

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
This thread has gone down the wrong road...who cares about what/how a phone is like if you take the back off???

..and the whole 90 degree angle comment??? Exactly what kind of form do you want? Even the cheaply made GS3 has curved corners????

You don't know what 90 degrees is do you? go google it.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
You don't know what 90 degrees is do you? go google it.

lol Apparently he does not LMAO! :eek:

----------

:eek::eek:

....you do realize a curved corner cannot be 90 degrees right? .... You DO know what 90 degrees is right? If not, I'll be happy to explain right angles to you.... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.