Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Already up for pre order on bestbuy.ca, same price as iPad pro 9.7".

I wish the s-pen could be stored in the tablet. Also no OIS in the camera.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
the media side of things is why i'm tempted to get this. HDR video i'm sure will be great. do miss the S pen and i think a S8 plus and S3 tab will be a nice combo. still plan to keep my ipad though

Reactions: 5105973

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Looks like US miss out on this offer

f7919c8195f323180c99a916ffe7e846.jpg

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
But these type of keyboards are these days but all of Europe are getting it free if you prefer order

I like the fact on the keyboard there's a place to put the s pen
I'm hoping that there will be some more reviews before the 31st so I can make my mind up and pre-order to get the keyboard free.

I think it comes out in the US on the 24th so there should be some and hopefully I can pre-order by the end of the week. £600 for the tablet, s-pen and keyboard is a good deal.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

I really don't get the need for backlit keyboards in this form factor---you're not going to be using this on your lap, in the dark so what's the real loss? And TBH, I personally don't see the huge deal with backlit keyboards at all--but then again, I touch type so not really looking at the keyboard and, I don't like to work in the dark so...;):D

My experience is anecdotal and quite clearly skewed by my personal preferences but, I have both an iPP (actually 2 of them) and a Samsung TabPro S. Both use keyboards that attach in some fashion with magnets and connect via a 'smart connector', so no bluetooth on either. The Samsung keyboard is predomoninantly all stiff plastic, backlit, has a touchpad and is more 'clicky', and allows for 2 different viewing angles.

gallery-1461005159-samsung-galaxy-tabpro-3.jpg

The Apple smart keyboard is the fabric covered, chicklet style without any backlighting, or function row.

apple_smart_keyboard.png

And the typing experience on the Apple version is far more enjoyable. The keys are all flush making it difficult to quickly find the right keys and it's easy to kit the wrong ones.

The keyboard for the S3 seems much more similar to the Apple version so based off my personal experience, that's a big improvment. And like @The Game 161 mentioned, having a dedicated spot for the S-Pen is a big plus.

SM-T820NZKAXAR_03_feature-benefit-bottom-jpg_TabS3_PDP_02_031617

All that being said, I still would hesitate to choose this over an iPad if any sort of productivity was involved as I still find Android not a great tablet experience and sadly, Samsung has a history of quickly abandoning their tablets (re: software support). I'll certainly be curious to see anyone's personal experience with this tablet if they do get one.

Reactions: sracer

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I really don't get the need for backlit keyboards in this form factor---you're not going to be using this on your lap, in the dark so what's the real loss? And TBH, I personally don't see the huge deal with backlit keyboards at all--but then again, I touch type so not really looking at the keyboard and, I don't like to work in the dark so...;):D

My experience is anecdotal and quite clearly skewed by my personal preferences but, I have both an iPP (actually 2 of them) and a Samsung TabPro S. Both use keyboards that attach in some fashion with magnets and connect via a 'smart connector', so no bluetooth on either. The Samsung keyboard is predomoninantly all stiff plastic, backlit, has a touchpad and is more 'clicky', and allows for 2 different viewing angles.

gallery-1461005159-samsung-galaxy-tabpro-3.jpg

The Apple smart keyboard is the fabric covered, chicklet style without any backlighting, or function row.

apple_smart_keyboard.png

And the typing experience on the Apple version is far more enjoyable. The keys are all flush making it difficult to quickly find the right keys and it's easy to kit the wrong ones.

The keyboard for the S3 seems much more similar to the Apple version so based off my personal experience, that's a big improvment. And like @The Game 161 mentioned, having a dedicated spot for the S-Pen is a big plus.

SM-T820NZKAXAR_03_feature-benefit-bottom-jpg_TabS3_PDP_02_031617

All that being said, I still would hesitate to choose this over an iPad if any sort of productivity was involved as I still find Android not a great tablet experience and sadly, Samsung has a history of quickly abandoning their tablets (re: software support). I'll certainly be curious to see anyone's personal experience with this tablet if they do get one.
I honestly couldn't care about the keyboard not being backlit. It was just the connectivity issues/bugginess I was concerned about

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I honestly couldn't care about the keyboard not being backlit. It was just he connectivity issues/bugginess I was concerned about

Yeah, sorry, was just commenting in the video on their mention of that omission as a drawback. And I completely missed the connectivity issues--my bad there. That's an entire different problem. :eek:

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Something I noticed in many reviews about this tablet, most say there isn't palm rejection when using the s-pen. In the s-note app's settings, there is an option to ignore finger/palm input and have your hands only be able to pan/zoom.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
didn't take long for this tablet to be out of stock everywhere..maybe they didn't produce many.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.