Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gaugerer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Dex on the Galaxy Tab S7 Plus gives a Windows experience using the keyboard cover according to some YouTube videos, has anyone tried it?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
It can be launched even without the keyboard cover, I just launched it on my Tab S7. Yes, it gives you a Windows-like taskbar with the time and notifications at the right end, some apps appear in the taskbar (I don't see a reason for the ones showing on mine at the moment). The full apps list is available from the left end of the taskbar, similar to the Start menu on Windows.

Is there something in particular you're curious about? OH - with wireless DeX I can even broadcast the screen to my Samsung TV...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Dex on the Galaxy Tab S7 Plus gives a Windows experience using the keyboard cover according to some YouTube videos, has anyone tried it?

Yup, I use it often. The keyboard is great. The trackpad is kind of trash though, but it gets the job done for simple things like browsing. A bluetooth mouse makes a huge difference.

Gaugerer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Yup, I use it often. The keyboard is great. The trackpad is kind of trash though, but it gets the job done for simple things like browsing. A bluetooth mouse makes a huge difference.
Thanks for the feedback which is very helpful, which bluetooth mouse do you use with it?

Gaugerer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
I received the UK version of the S7+ Keyboard cover today but was unable to change the on screen keyboard from the US layout to the UK layout to match the keyboard cover.

I was able to change the settings from US to UK but it made no difference to to on screen keyboard.

I'm planning to return the UK keyboard cover to Samsung for a refund of £220 and buy a US keyboard cover to match the S7+.

If anyone know of a solution other than return the UK keyboard cover I'd be grateful to know.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
but it made no difference to to on screen keyboard
If you have a physical keyboard why are you fretting over the on-screen one? Is that also appearing for some reason?

I just checked on my Tab S7 using the Google keyboard (GBoard), I can enable the English (UK) keyboard on-screen but the only discernible change is the money symbol on the 4 key changed from $ to £

Reactions: Breaking Good

Gaugerer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
If you have a physical keyboard why are you fretting over the on-screen one? Is that also appearing for some reason?

I just checked on my Tab S7 using the Google keyboard (GBoard), I can enable the English (UK) keyboard on-screen but the only discernible change is the money symbol on the 4 key changed from $ to £
Hi, thanks for your feedback.

The reason I'm unhappy about the physical keyboard is that it shows keys that when pressed don't send that character to the tablet.

For example on the Samsung UK physical keyboard if you press the @ Key then the tablet receives a " character, so you have to remember to press the " key on the physical keyboard to send a @.

The UK physical keyboard layout is quite different from the on screen US keyboard layout so you have to remember a lot of keys that send the wrong characters.

The tablet is always set up as a US keyboard and cannot be changed to any other layout even if you change to another language.

Samsung have agreed to the return for a refund and I'm going to buy a physical US bookcase keyboard cover where the keys match the on screen keyboard.

Gaugerer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
I've now bought a US bookcase cover and that works with the tablet without any keyboard issues.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I guess I'm late to the DEX party but picked up a Samsung Tab S8 Plus and very impressed with how DEX works. The combination of that and the OLED screen made this a simple purchase over the 12.9 iPad Pro for home use. I still prefer my 11" iPad Pro for quick tasks and travel but I would love to see the Tab Plus range hardware but with M1, iPadOS consistency and iPad apps for the dream machine. Samsung are doing a good job at improving Android usability on the tablet form factor though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.