Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
So I am new to smart watches. When I pre ordered the Pixel 8 Pro the Pixel watch 2 was my first smart watch and I liked it. It is very fast and responsive. It was pretty easy to learn but my GOD every 5 seconds a buzz on my wrist. I became a pavlovian dog with a phantom feeling of notifications when the watch wasn't on me and trying to sleep with constant buzzing was crazy. I had to basically turn off the haptics and sounds for notifications because it became too intrusive. But it is extremely good at getting you notifications on anything. You won't miss a thing.

Overall the Pixel watch 2 is well made, light, comfortable, lasts a long time on a charge and has a nice screen. The UI is fluid and responsive and mostly intuitive. It is a good smartwatch. BUT it is a bit small and the screen is really small and has really large bezels. The Aluminum looks nice and is all polished. The glass extends the entire face and some of the width of the watch. This means any knocks are going to directly hit the gorilla glass 5. Overall though it was a very nice introduction to smart watches.

Then I pre-ordered the s24 ultra and the galaxy watch 6 classic. The Pixel is newer and has a quad core processor on TSMC 4nm process vs a dual core Exynos on Samsung 5nm process. I thought this would cause a couple of issues both poor performance and poor battery life compared to the Pixel. But I had no idea what to expect.

As soon as I put the Samsung watch on I immediately noticed the larger screen and slimmer bezels even with a stainless steel bezel. The screen is just nicer on the watch 6. The interface seems just as responsive and fluid if not more fluid than the Pixel watch 2. I like the always monitoring of the heart rate even when not turning on the lift to wake feature on the AOD of the watch on the Pixel watch 2 vs the Galaxy watch that suspends the display when not activated. It is a small detail but it makes a difference just like the crazy notifications. Both watches seem to have some advantages and disadvantages in the software but overall I prefer the UI on the watch 6 and I like all the health information and workout information included without a subscription fee.

In terms of looks the watch 6 classic is much nicer in my opinion. I like Googles unique design language but as a man I feel a little emasculated wearing it compared to the classic 6. I also prefer stainless steel. The sapphire crystal is also a nice touch and adds a lot of durability.

The band I got is a fabric band and it is very comfortable but I think I prefer the Pixel band as it is almost as comfortable but holds the watch in place nicely with the tuck under band.

Battery life on both seems to be about the same. Performance seems about the same. The screen is a lot nicer and bigger and more functional on the watch 6 classic vs the Pixel watch 2. The 43mm case is about perfect size. Features and functions are about the same. I like the graphical icon menu much like Apple Watch on the Galaxy watch a lot more than Googles list menu layout.

Overall I was not expecting to like Samsung Galaxy watch 6 classic so much. I thought I would probably sell it. Now I am thinking of selling the Pixel watch 2.

I am not sure but as a new user of a smart watch and one who has the Pixel watch 2 and Galaxy watch 6 classic I thought people might be interested in my thoughts since my experience is so new and not yet jaded. Let me know if anyone has any particular questions. I will try to answer as best I can.

Reactions: Harthag and Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Galaxy Watch 4 user here. Been one since it was released back in 2021 and it’s been solid so far, had an hiccup last year when an update bricked it. But luckily, with some persistence on my end… Samsung fixed it.

I’ve been a proponent of smart watches since the announcement of the Pebble and when Apple released their watch… I immediately jumped on board. So, I like the idea having a computer on my wrist. But what sets Samsung apart from Apple is their hardware decision (imo).

Apple decided to go with function over form… and as much as I like the Apple Watch, I prefer the circular aspect of the Galaxy Watch (so does family and friends). But no need to address that subject. I think all the thoughts you mention… from bigger form to the battery life, is why I enjoyed the Galaxy Watch over Pixel Watch.

I have a total of 11 bands… I have a stainless steel band only wear for certain occasions. One particular band I like wearing at night and the rest depends on what clothes I‘m wearing. And another aspect to consider the Galaxy Watch is the integration with my Samsung devices (Galaxy Fold and Buds).

This might be a minuscule reason… but I like how I have one (Wearable) app for the Galaxy Watch and Buds.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I have had the Galaxy watch classic 6 for a couple weeks now and I can safely say I love it.

The Pixel watch 2 is great but I really don't like the subscription model. I don't like the large bezels. Otherwise I have nothing bad to say. Performance and battery life are excellent.

But the Galaxy watch has all of the features of the Pixel watch 2, same performance, same battery life, better case, sapphire crystal, larger screen. The last one has been most significant for me and I find apps seem better optimized on the Galaxy watch.

I am certainly going to sell my Pixel watch 2. Probably around the time or before they release the watch 7 classic. With a trade in of the watch 6 and the money from the Pixel watch it will not cost much if anything.

I could keep 2 watches but the Galaxy watch works fine on my Pixel so no need for 2.

All I can say is if I were trying to decide between the two I would go Samsung unless you have a Pixel and want the same software experience throughout. You can't go wrong with either one.

Reactions: aggie99

Neofox

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
I am certainly going to sell my Pixel watch 2. Probably around the time or before they release the watch 7 classic. With a trade in of the watch 6 and the money from the Pixel watch it will not cost much if anything.
As far as I know, this year we will not get a watch 7 classic tho' but a watch 7 and watch 7 pro
It's all rumor tho' ..

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
I have had the Galaxy watch classic 6 for a couple weeks now and I can safely say I love it.

The Pixel watch 2 is great but I really don't like the subscription model. I don't like the large bezels. Otherwise I have nothing bad to say. Performance and battery life are excellent.

But the Galaxy watch has all of the features of the Pixel watch 2, same performance, same battery life, better case, sapphire crystal, larger screen. The last one has been most significant for me and I find apps seem better optimized on the Galaxy watch.

I could keep 2 watches but the Galaxy watch works fine on my Pixel so no need for 2.

All I can say is if I were trying to decide between the two I would go Samsung unless you have a Pixel and want the same software experience throughout. You can't go wrong with either one.
I had the 6 classic briefly but sent it back, much preferred the battery life of the Watch 5 Pro(which I still have) and felt like the 6 classic wasn't worth the upgrade. The rotating bezel isn't something I used so it was an easy decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.