Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Don't get your hopes up based on this alone. We've had shader converters and other tools before. For some reason the press is hyping this as the solution to everything. I think people are putting to much hope into this, which isn't a "click a button solution". The decision to port still has to come from a studio with all variables being considered.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Don't get your hopes up based on this alone. We've had shader converters and other tools before. For some reason the press is hyping this as the solution to everything. I think people are putting to much hope into this, which isn't a "click a button solution". The decision to port still has to come from a studio with all variables being considered.

I’m not a terminal genius, and I can count on one hand the number of times that I’ve needed to use it, but I can follow good directions and can copy and paste. On one of the how to pages that popped up on how to install the Windows version of battle.net, there were 5 terminal commands.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I’m not a terminal genius, and I can count on one hand the number of times that I’ve needed to use it, but I can follow good directions and can copy and paste. On one of the how to pages that popped up on how to install the Windows version of battle.net, there were 5 terminal commands.
Let me clarify. I meant "click a button solution" for a developer porting a game. I have no doubt anyone can install it by following instructions, but there's still a usual amount of work to put into porting a game to native. It (Rosetta 2) doesn't support games with AVX instructions and there are still issues/crashes depending on the game. It's not meant to be an emulator, which is what the current hype is all about.

And then of course there's the looming release of the next major Direct X version, which will completely break this approach. What happens then? Another 8 (?) years for someone to crack basic support and wait for Crossover 33 or Game Porting Toolkit?

I think the best we could get out of this is developers seeing their games run on Apple hardware with the toolkit and making the jump to use the shader converter and whatever can't be done automatically is attractive enough for them to do it by hand. That would raise the number of native games on the Mac. If it's enough for studios to stick around remains to be seen.

Reactions: Irishman

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Here is Whisky, a drag-n-drop solution!

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

The best guide for setting everything up is located here:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

I’m waiting for someone to make a tutorial that’s geared toward people like me who only first learned about Home Brew and Whisky earlier this year, from one of Andrew’s videos.

Does anyone know if he’s a developer/coder? Sometimes it seems like he knows things that the rest of us don’t know.

“Just use Whisky. It’s way easier “, says one Redditor. What does that mean?

When I first started learning Blender 3D, I struggled at first with the interface, and the keyboard shortcuts. But what saved me back then was a tutorial series on absolute beginners. I knew nothing, so I needed resources that reflected my lack of knowledge.

What I need now is the same thing. Resources aimed at someone who knows nothing, because like the rest of us, I’m having to learn everything.

Last edited:

joptimus

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2016
Hey all,

I've successfully installed Diablo 4 on Sonoma Beta. I'm a little lost, however, how to enable retina mode (for the 2D HUD in the game). Have not used XCode15 or Homebrew, just the GPTK and Whisky.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.