Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjohansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
Denmark
With the news about Apple changing the app store guidelines hopefully this means that game streaming services will also be allowed on the Apple TV. However I cannot find confirmation that it will also effect tvOS - only iPadOS and iOS. Has anyone seen a confirmation in regards to tvOS?

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Good question.

Apple's original press release doesn't explicitly mention only iPhone and iPad, though, and only refers to "the App Store". In my understanding, that would include Apple TV and the Mac App Store as well.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I was under the impression that Xcode allowed an app to be created that encompassed iOS, iPadOS, MacOS and tvOS.

So if say a GFN app adheres to the new App Store guidelines that means it can enter the tvOS App Store no?

mjohansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
Denmark
I hope so - but really want confirmation. I think it is big news if that is indeed correct - much more than if its just on iOS and iPadOS, as you can play GFN already through browser on those devices.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I hope so - but really want confirmation. I think it is big news if that is indeed correct - much more than if its just on iOS and iPadOS, as you can play GFN already through browser on those devices.
I guess it’s a case of wait and see?

I don’t think we’re gonna get confirmation until we see one of these apps at least in the regular App Store tbh.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If you have a PC with NVIDIA graphics card, this option has existed for a long time now on AppleTV... via the terrific Moonlight app. The PC and good graphics card does the heavy lifting in AAA games and streams the dynamically updating video over to the best TV and best sound in the house. Game controller info is sent back to control the action. I didn't think this would work as good as it does myself, but it certainly does.

tronleif

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2020
I came here looking for an answer to this question.

There isn't any clear answer on this it seems and the tech sites haven't reported anything concrete.

I hope it happens and may buy a second apple tv if so, but I wouldn't put it past apple to unnecessarily silo this to the iphone and ipad....

mjohansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
Denmark
A bit surprised theres no news on this yet. Theres already a MacOS app, so it shouldnt be difficult to make a iOS/TvOS one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.