Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Don't get me wrong games are fun, but I am really dying for an iChat app. I haven't used "jailbreak" on my phone yet, but if someone comes out with an IM app I think I might. If people can make these games I am sure this is possible. Just my 2 cents.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
i jailbreaked my iphone last night and it is nice, but i was thinking the same thing. i'm not sure why no IM app has been made yet. maybe developers haven't been able to gain access to the network connectivity. none of the apps out use the network or wi-fi except the "installer" app that actually installs them.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I am well aware of the many web apps for IMing. I am talking about actual apps that sit in the menu of the phone.

What would be the advantage of a native app over a web app like the new meebo client or beejive?

I always use web clients on my desktop for IM, so i'm just wondering. The only thing I can think of is a native client could at least turn off the screen and "wake up" on an incoming chat or something, but I'm imagining the radio polling is burning more battery than the screen.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
i jailbreaked my iphone last night and it is nice, but i was thinking the same thing. i'm not sure why no IM app has been made yet. maybe developers haven't been able to gain access to the network connectivity. none of the apps out use the network or wi-fi except the "installer" app that actually installs them.

Actually, I was helping my friend determine the cause of a problem on his computer. It was unreachable through port 55. I was pinging his laptop in MobileTerminal.app ... everyone thought I was some kind of leet hax0r. :rolleyes:

Programs can access the internet through EDGE and through WiFi, which is what this post is about. :p

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
What would be the advantage of a native app over a web app like the new meebo client or beejive?

I always use web clients on my desktop for IM, so i'm just wondering. The only thing I can think of is a native client could at least turn off the screen and "wake up" on an incoming chat or something, but I'm imagining the radio polling is burning more battery than the screen.

I can think of several off the bat:
-Multitasking
-Screen wake/sleep
-Better integration
-Easy network reconnect in the event of a drop. Similar to what FlickIM has, but can usually be implemented better natively.
-Faster UI

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
I can think of several off the bat:
-Multitasking
-Screen wake/sleep
-Better integration
-Easy network reconnect in the event of a drop. Similar to what FlickIM has, but can usually be implemented better natively.
-Faster UI

-Notification of a received IM via a popup, tone or vibrate.
-Don't have to download the images that make up the interface everytime you connect (could file under faster UI)

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
Yah an im app would be great, for some reason i tried to log into flickim and it doesnt work for me, meebo does though.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Not to mention the web apps disconnect you if you have your phone on standby. A phone app wouldnt do that.

Espo

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
NY
Not to mention the web apps disconnect you if you have your phone on standby. A phone app wouldnt do that.

FlickIM doesnt disconnect you. If it finds that you are on stanby it puts up an automatic away message, stating that you are away.

racemize

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
it's needed for the notification (i.e., vibrate on receive like an sms or email message).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.