Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

damianmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2014
Hello,

Hope that it would be the other way around.. my MacBook Pro late 2013, i7, 16gb ram, GT740M, 512 SSD seems to run slower than usual.

I can notice a delay in writing this post compared to Yosemite.

Also, playing League of Legends the FPS were 60 at Medium High.. and now I get down to 26, I moved the slider to Medium and same issue.

Besides Razer not working everything seems so slow.

I do see in the activity monitor "mtmd" process taking from 20 to 98% of CPU and after first install I was seeing Windows Server as the culprit.

Any ideas? This is the 3rd/4th reboot.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
This is normal and expected, it happens every single time a new OS X beta came out, the performance for graphics are worse. It only gets better over several months.

Don't use OS X betas if you need to game, it will suck.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Besides that, you can assume that once the final is there, OpenGL (games now on OS X) will perform similar to Yosemite, not better or worse.
It's the wait for the games to be "optimised" for Metal.

Reactions: crjackson2134

SG-

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
it's DP1 son... at least wait until beta or the final release.

damianmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2014
It's a beta...seriously guys, this release is for developers, not for gamers.

Thanks for your irrelevant contribution to the thread.

To the rest.. I had that doubt is metal was some kind of low level optimization or the games would actually need to implement it. I also noticed iOS9 slower than 8, again.. must be because of the same, hopefully open beta will be better.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand

To the rest.. I had that doubt is metal was some kind of low level optimization or the games would actually need to implement it. I also noticed iOS9 slower than 8, again.. must be because of the same, hopefully open beta will be better.

Looking through forums it appears there are a lot of things missing from the developer preview in terms of driver optimisations, the use of Metal in the various system components are half finished at this point. Best to head back to Yosemite and come back maybe around the second or third public beta when things are more 'feature complete'.

Reactions: crjackson2134

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Well, they do. You are not using Metal for LOL if that is what you think. It is a beta OS which is expected to run slower, not an OS ready for games, as has already been said above.

damianmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2014
For everyone else interested in Games performance (it's a Beta.. some things needs to iron out but I don't see how I'll see a big difference in the RC or final release), seems that the OSX or TimeMachine or something needs some time until performance comes to normal again.

I don't see any difference with Yosemite besides the 4 fingers up it's much smoother, at the beginning the dock was even slower, now is back to normal. After first boot up also in the about my mac it was still Yosemite.

Conclusion I see no difference and I look forward developers can integrate Metal into their apps.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

I don't know what you're expecting. Metal does not increase performance for games built for OpenGL and OpenGL apps/games are not going to benefit much from Metal.

Only Metal apps and games will benefit but it is not magical cure, it does not make your GPU faster. What it does it allow developers to do more with less. By reducing the overhead, the GPU can process your graphics faster or the devs may choose to use more complicated code that can be run on the CPU at the same time; like faster physics, more objects on the screen, wider or further field of view and so on. The latter means your FPS remains the same but what you will see is more detailed or dense game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cisco_Kid
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.