Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedro1970

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2015
Hey! I still use my MBP 2012 13" machine that runs very well for what i have to to.
Now i want to play again with it. I prefer casual games like jump'n runs, simple shooters (2D or 3D), puzzlers, pinballs.

Is there anywhere a list or ranking with games were i can find out, what does run on Catalina? I think they should be 64 bit so many old games for OSX are obsolete today.

Thank you!! :)

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I'm gonna be real man...that list is gonna be really really small especially since you got that 2012 MBP on Catalina. Aside from running retro game emulators and Factorio and Undertale, there's not much. Even Minecraft struggles running on those old machines now.

I'd honestly recommend you consider getting a second machine like the Valve Steam Deck for your gaming needs since it's small, affordable, and portable, and you'll have a much bigger library to work with. Plus those casual games you like are perfect with the Deck's controls scheme and portable pickup and play nature

• Haha
Reactions: Irishman

pedro1970

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2015
Seems you don’t know casual (as i mentioned) games like Zen Pinball or Osmos on such a Macbook. They run perfectly, man! So i'll look further...

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Seems you don’t know casual (as i mentioned) games like Zen Pinball or Osmos on such a Macbook. They run perfectly, man! So i'll look further...

Have you looked into downgrading back to Mojave?

If it works, then it should solve your 32-bit problem.

I have a late 2012 iMac that I have kept running on Mojave, for that same reason.

Last edited:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

I have a late 2012 iMac that I have kept running on Mojave, for that same reason.

Won't do any good since Steam is losing support for Mojave February next year remember?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Won't do any good since Steam is losing support for Mojave February next year remember?

Actually it’s ending in 70 days, so screw Steam for failing to support my platform of choice.

If Pedro isn’t limited to games from Steam, then why wouldn’t it help him, just as it helps me now, and will go on helping me after those 70 days elapse?

I’m not frightened by the prospect. Why should Pedro be?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Even with a mid-2012 quad-core i7 and GeForce 650M on Catalina, I had loads of trouble finding anything that would run well.

Try GOG and itch.io. The Mac App Store will state that a game runs, but it's a matter of opinion as to how well it works.

pedro1970

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2015

Sadly not because i use apps that need Catalina.

Yael-S.

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2022
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind on OpenBSD

o8wqTgi.png

9CO3DGj.png

Since the game runs perfectly on OpenBSD without ever having any bugs or instability.
I suspect it will work on macOS as well.
It was released in 2002 so 2012 hardware shouldn't have a problem with the game.
Along with The Witcher III, this game is (still) the biggest contender for best RPG ever made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.