Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alaskanmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Hello all,
Ok so here is my situation, I have always had a mac, I grew up using a mac, and my mom is a computer Genius who works with macs for a living. I am interested in buying one of the new iMacs but I am wondering, Will games such as C&C 3, CS Source, and obviously World of warcraft, work well on the new iMac?
I am looking to buy the $1,499 iMac with the following specs
* 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1GB memory
* 320GB hard drive1
* 8x double-layer SuperDrive
* ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
I am mainly interested in playing CS Source, so Can someone who has played CS source on this type of iMac please fill me on on how it worked. Thanks for your time

-Alaskan Mac

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
I have an iMac with significantly lower specs and CS:S runs 60fps average in bootcamp. I play it all the time.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Yeah, CS:S is golden on the new iMacs.

btw Barr, what servers do you usually play on? I have a community I've been playing with since 2003 that you should feel free to try out. We're fairly dismissive of newcomers but if you hang around and take the abuse for a while we always love having new folks with the gumption to stick with it.

Alaskanmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
thanks guys, I gota be honest I went out and bought a Toshiba laptop last summer, only to find out I didnt do enough research and it wouldnt even run CS. So I am greatly looking forward to buying the new iMac. I will be getting it and installing my copy of CS Source (the one that wont run on my toshiba :)) as soon as permanent fund dividends come out. (Thats usually around $1,000 dollars that every alaskan citizen gets once a year, Yes its in the simpsons movie haha :D)

lisamcdee

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2007
You need to be really careful here because of the video cards in the new iMacs. Aspyr, the company that ports a lot of games for Mac, has said that they cannot support any of their games on the new iMacs at this time.

I just traded up to one of the new 20 inch iMacs only to discover that the Sims 2 (the only game I play) will not run on it. According to Aspyr, I should have contacted them before buying the new machine to make sure that the game was playable. So I would advice you to do that before assuming that all will be well.

tominated

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
don't forget that you will need bootcamp and windows xp/vista to run CS, but C&C and WoW are available in mac versions. you can't just buy a windows game and put it in a mac. you need to buy the mac equivalent.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
C&C? As in Command and Conquer 3? That's not out on the Mac yet as far as I'm aware...

's coming... But not yet :(

Edit: On topic; yeah, CS:Source isn't that demanding and runs really well on Bootcamp iMacs :)

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
C&C and WoW are available in mac versions. you can't just buy a windows game and put it in a mac. you need to buy the mac equivalent.

Actually WoW, and other Blizzard games, run out of the box on either Mac or Windows. There's no separate Mac version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.