Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Player-fighting-from-base-in-Starship-Troopers-Extermination-Game.jpg
Hardcore vibes from the movie...

StarShip Troopers: Extermination- (2023 Early Access Game, $25, Steam/Windows) Besides loving the original movie, this game looks promising for coop. What I don't know at this point is how solo friendly it iso

Anyone playing this? 🤫

Reactions: tranceking26

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I would! :D Anyone jump on this yer? This could be really fun until it gets repetitive.

Which is why I play Earth Defense Force instead. EDF is just mindless fun, and goes absolutely nuts with enemy count. This is the one game where framerate drops are a feature

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Cyberpunk- Phantom Liberty- Sep2023 I wants it! DLC requires the base game. I wonder how much they'll want for it. :)

I don't care for this music though...

Reactions: orionquest

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
The first gameplay trailer for Alan Wake II has been released, continuing the story of the eponymous character from the original, released 13 years ago.

If you've played any of the games from Remedy, you'll find that Alan Wake is probably the most important, because he is considered by the developers to be the in-game author of all of their stories, such as the Max Payne storyline. Thus, the "Remedy-verse" is interconnected.

For example, in the recent trailers, there is an FBI agent called Alex Casey, who Alan Wake based Max Payne upon, without realizing it. It is speculated that Alex Casey was willed into existence by Alan Wake's authorship of Max Payne. The character model for Max/Alex is Remedy's Creative Director, Sam Lake, who is responsible for the unique writing in their games. (In the very beginning of this trailer, Sam is the guy on the right.)

For the sequel, there are two parallel playable storylines, told from the perspective of new character Saga Anderson, who is featured in the gameplay trailer, and of course, Alan Wake himself, who is apparently unlocked after the prologue. The player can then choose which character to play, and jump between the two, at least according to my current understanding. I think Remedy has chosen to exclude most of the footage of Alan himself out of the trailers on purpose, to keep that part of the story a mystery to be discovered by the player.

Anyone else enjoy Remedy's games? Max Payne 1/2, Alan Wake, and Control are some of my all time favorite games.

Reactions: Queen6 and Huntn

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Cyberpunk- Phantom Liberty- Sep2023 I wants it! DLC requires the base game. I wonder how much they'll want for it. :)

The expansion costs $30

I don't care for this music though...

Well good thing you can mod the music out.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
DORF! GOD DAMN DORF!

Oooooooh baby it's coming back to me. The countless hours I sunk into Red Alert 2.

Best of all, I spoke with the developer, and he plans to do a Mac version after launch!

AlphaMirage

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2023
View attachment 2209956
Hardcore vibes from the movie...

StarShip Troopers: Extermination- (2023 Early Access Game, $25, Steam/Windows) Besides loving the original movie, this game looks promising for coop. What I don't know at this point is how solo friendly it iso

Anyone playing this? 🤫
Looks good, but folks younger than 25 years old probably not aware about Starship troopers :p

forever_music

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2023
The first gameplay trailer for Alan Wake II has been released, continuing the story of the eponymous character from the original, released 13 years ago.

If you've played any of the games from Remedy, you'll find that Alan Wake is probably the most important, because he is considered by the developers to be the in-game author of all of their stories, such as the Max Payne storyline. Thus, the "Remedy-verse" is interconnected.

For example, in the recent trailers, there is an FBI agent called Alex Casey, who Alan Wake based Max Payne upon, without realizing it. It is speculated that Alex Casey was willed into existence by Alan Wake's authorship of Max Payne. The character model for Max/Alex is Remedy's Creative Director, Sam Lake, who is responsible for the unique writing in their games. (In the very beginning of this trailer, Sam is the guy on the right.)

For the sequel, there are two parallel playable storylines, told from the perspective of new character Saga Anderson, who is featured in the gameplay trailer, and of course, Alan Wake himself, who is apparently unlocked after the prologue. The player can then choose which character to play, and jump between the two, at least according to my current understanding. I think Remedy has chosen to exclude most of the footage of Alan himself out of the trailers on purpose, to keep that part of the story a mystery to be discovered by the player.

Anyone else enjoy Remedy's games? Max Payne 1/2, Alan Wake, and Control are some of my all time favorite games.
I enjoyed Max Payne 1 a lot. It's one of my favourite games.

Reactions: Colstan

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Can it be September already? I need Mortal Kombat 1 in my life now

You may think "wait, Mortal Kombat 1? Is this a remake of the first game?" Nope. It's a brand new rebooted story.

Context: The story of MK11 was the goddess of time Kronica was plotting domination to control the entire universe, but you defeat her. But with her gone it left her hourglass without a master. Depending on what character you played as that character would reboot the entire universe where they're in control (except Rambo. Rambo was the only one who didn't.) Canonically, Liu Kang got the hourglass so he rebooted the universe in his image, making himself into a fire god and the new defender of Earthrealm, leaving Raiden as a mortal. Everyone has different stories and personalities now in this rebooted universe, so it's gonna be exciting seeing what's different

The big gameplay change with MK1 though is the roster has been shrunk to make fighters more finely tune. In the place of a larger roster is the new Kameo Fighter mechanic. You select your fighter and a Kameo Fighter who will fight by your side when you call them in. The Kameos open up new combos as you can combo with your Kameo or call them in when you're in trouble.

Before you ask, yes Fatalities are back. They're as gorey as ever

But besides Fatalities, the Quitality is also back. You see many games handle ragequitters differently, usually penaliting them with a temporary matchmaking ban. But Mortal Kombat handles ragequitting the best. The game will let you ragequit without penalty, but your character will be mutilated horribly and your opponent will be granted a win.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Jul2023- Games in the Works:
The one title on here that is a must buy is Starfield. I just have to decide if I want to pay Bethesda $70 or wait a year for a lower price. 🤔 Of course there're other titles I will be considering.

C3F83164-2073-4149-9EC3-67C9DE13B310.jpeg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I tuned into Steam today to see a new game, in early access: Nightengale. It immediately caught my eye. It looks fantastic. However, the game tags on the store page were not very specific. Then I went to the discussion page and read among other things:
  • The Camera is hard bound to the arrow keys? (Supposedly a bug that's being worked on...)
  • That it is online only? What does that mean, a mmo, a server, how many people on the server?
  • You have to have an internet connection to play it. So does that mean it's an online server only, or can you host a single player game on your computer?

Anyone familiar with this? Windows only.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

I tuned into Steam today to see a new game, in early access: Nightengale. It immediately caught my eye. It looks fantastic. However, the game tags on the store page were not very specific. Then I went to the discussion page and read among other things:
  • The Camera is hard bound to the arrow keys? (Supposedly a bug that's being worked on...)
  • That it is online only? What does that mean, a mmo, a server, how many people on the server?
  • You have to have an internet connection to play it. So does that mean it's an online server only, or can you host a single player game on your computer?

Anyone familiar with this? Windows only.
I saw that they made AMD FSR 3 work, but it's causing crashes, so they've paused it for a while.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I saw that they made AMD FSR 3 work, but it's causing crashes, so they've paused it for a while.
It was released today early anccess, and because of technical issues, it’s getting hammered in reviews. I was thinking it was like ARK:Survival Evolved, run a solo game on your computer, small public servers, or rent a server, but none of that is clear in what I’ve read about it. And online co-op tag was added, but that doesn’t answer the other questions about server and server size.

The two things that stood out about it was- The camera was locked to the arrow keys, not mouse, and it was an online server(s) as far as I can tell. I don’t really want to play on a online server if I can help it.

Last edited:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It was released today early anccess, and because of technical issues, it’s getting hammered in reviews. I was thinking it was like ARK:Survival Evolved, run a solo game on your computer, small public servers, or rent a server, but none of that is clear in what I’ve read about it. And online co-op tag was added, but that doesn’t answer the other questions about server and server size.

The two things that stood out about it wa— The camera was locked to the arrow keys, not mouse, and it was an online server(s) as far as I can tell. I don’t really want to play on a online server if I can help it.
That's why I usually wait a year after games have been in production.

Bright Memory was the exception because the developers seemed to have a handle on it. I waited for Black Mesa to exit Early Access because I had no confidence in the developers to get it right.

Hopefully, Nightingale will be amazing, when it's ready.

Reactions: Huntn and Plutonius

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That's why I usually wait a year after games have been in production.

Bright Memory was the exception because the developers seemed to have a handle on it. I waited for Black Mesa to exit Early Access because I had no confidence in the developers to get it right.

Hopefully, Nightingale will be amazing, when it's ready.
I've not figured out if this is a MMO or just a bunch of servers, like ARK:SE. It is reported as no offline play...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've not figured out if this is a MMO or just a bunch of servers, like ARK:SE. It is reported as no offline play...

I hope that they figure out what they can do, so that they have an offline mode.

Too much, developers only have online play and I won't bother. Loads of people still don't have good internet connections or want to play wherever they are.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I hope that they figure out what they can do, so that they have an offline mode.

Too much, developers only have online play and I won't bother. Loads of people still don't have good internet connections or want to play wherever they are.
At this point, I have no idea what the Nightingale server setup is.

I spent a couple of years on WoW, no longer am interested in the theme park, MMO scene. All MMOs are theme parks with groups of tourists waiting in queue to jump in a dungeon. Spent more years on games like ARK:Survival Evolved with smaller servers, but that too got old. I enjoy base building, building that has a longer shelf life as in my own install, not perishable as on a rented server, and I don’t like being on a schedule to rendezvous with other players. And mostly I’ve come to appreciate a solo world where I own it, and the impact on the world is mine alone, for a truly memorable story experience.

My only PVP play currently is World of Warships, which is handy, a continuous stream of 15 min battles, where you can team up in a division when it’s convenient, the the obligation is short turn. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.