Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
Realistically, i think the Switch *should* be able to handle PS3/XB360 games. I think the Switch presents a unique opportunity for games which didn't see much success on their primary platforms, maybe because the platforms didn't do very well to begin with. What games, from any platform, would you like to see ported to the Switch?

Bioshock(PS3)
Dead Space(PS3)
Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Full Throttle Remastered
Yoshi's Wolly Yarn (WiiU)
Bayonetta 1&2 (WiiU)

While I initially harped on about GCN VC, I think i'd actually prefer "remasters"(higher resolution textures, 1080p?) of games like:
-Super Mario Sunshine
-Luigi's Mansion
-F-Zero GX

What would you like to see make it to the system?

Cheers

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Nintendo:
Star Wars Rogue Squadron, plus new games
Metroid Prime Trilogy, plus new games
Pikmin 1-3, plus new games

Other:
TRON games!
Gamestop Published "Song of the Deep" and "Deformers" would be awesome to take on the road... :)
Titanfall
Unreal Tournament, Quake, Doom...

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Remastered virtual console classics:

Wii:
Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart
Smash Bro

GameCube:
Eternal Darkness

N64:
Mario 64
Mariokart 64
Zelda OoT & MM
Smash Bros
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Star Fox 64

SNES:
Mario All Stars
Mario World
Mario Kart
Donky Kong Country
Star Fox

NES:
Mario 1-3
TMNT 1
Zelda

Sega Dreamcast:
Sonic Adventure
Shenmu
Power Stone

Sega Saturn:
Nights
Panzer Dragoon 1-3

Sega Genesis:
Sonic 1-4
Sonic CD
Toe Jam and Earl
Ecco the dolphin
Vectorman

Arcade:
Mortal Kombat 1-3
Street Fighter 2
Virtua Racing
Daytona USA
Cruising USA
Virtua Fighter 1-3
TMNT the Arcade game & Turtles in Time
Killer instinct
Street Fighter Alpha
X-Men
Crazy Taxi
The Simpsons Arcade Game

And I think that might be it. I also hope they port Smash Bros from to Wii U, like they're doing for Mario Kart.

Edit: OMG, how did I forget about Star Fox? Added it to the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: twietee

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
All of the fantastic titles from the WiiU that i missed:

Bayonetta
DK Tropical Freeze
Super Mario World
Pikmin

I am sure I am missing others.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hmm, I'm personally just after a small list of ports and new games. Zelda has made me realise I don't want lots of games - I just want games good enough that I don't play anything else for a month whilst I'm deep in addiction :D

With that in mind;

GTAV - it's possible to get a 720p30 version of it on that hardware. I don't even need GTA Online, I just want that huge adventure on the go.
A complete Mario collection - SMB to maybe 3D World in one gigantic package.
Mario Maker - but with additional themes, and slopes!
Lucasarts Adventure collection - just the whole lot.
Smash Bros 4 - in the same vein as Mario Kart 8 on Switch. Tidy it up + ship it out. Include both the 3DS and Wii U's unique modes into one package.
F-Zero GX would be nice.
Come to think of it a tidied up port of Metroid Prime Trilogy could be nice, include a copy of Super Metroid as a preorder bonus too and I'm there.

(As for actual Virtual Console games I just want everything. I was thinking that VC games reload to where you left off, effectively giving the impression that they just remain in sleep mode. How about VC games occupy another row above the main games on the Switch menu. The currently inactive row would shrink down so it's not too messy. The impression a user gets there is anything on that top row resumes.)

Edit: I'd like to see some old PC classics like maybe that ace port of Duke Nukem 3D that's on PS4, and give Doom 1+2 similar treatment. Always got time for those games :)

Last edited:

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
For VC, complete first-party catalogues of NES, SNES and N64, plus whatever third-party games are permitted by companies that want a cut of all the money in the world, by Christmas 2017.

For actual ports, which must be remasters, not just basic upscales, by system:

GCN:
Eternal Darkness
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
F-Zero GX
Meta Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Soul Calibur II
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros Melee

Wii:
Kirby's Epic Yarn
The Last Story
(probably my favourite game of the past two generations)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (with the option for standard controls)
Pandora's Tower
Rayman Origins
Sonic Colors
Xenoblade Chronicles

Wii U:
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors
(Deluxe with all DLC and additional BotW content)
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
(for the love of God, fix movement translation engine)
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Pokken Tournament
Sonic: Lost World
Star Fox Zero
(with standard controls restored)
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Maker
Yoshi's Wooly World
(with Poochy added)

Anything that has been released on a Nintendo platform before now, I shan't hold my breath.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I just wanna be able to buy a Switch

They are supposedly available (in the USA) all over this weekend with a major shipment.

Though, I still believe Nintendo should offer a "Core" system.

I don't really use mine docked.

$199 would be awesome for just the unit, joy-cons, and joy-con straps, and just include a USB-C cable.

I'm finding out any USB charger will charge the device. Yes, the 1A ones take forever (tried it on an Apple iPhone and Sony charger), but a 2.1A one works just fine and charges it quickly (tried it on the Apple charger I got with my iPad 2).

I can't believe how good this system is...

Just bought Snake Pass - so much fun...

Reactions: ILUVAPPLE69

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Tons of them in stock here in North Dallas. BB, Target seems to have finally caught up.

Staying on topic, I would love to see Toad's Treasure Tracker as I missed that as well on the WiiU

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
GCN:
Eternal Darkness
Super Mario Sunshine

Wii:
Kirby's Epic Yarn
The Last Story
(probably my favourite game of the past two generations)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (with the option for standard controls)
Pandora's Tower
Xenoblade Chronicles

Wii U:
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Star Fox Zero
(with standard controls restored)
Yoshi's Wooly World (with Poochy added).
This list defines when I will get a Switch.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Past Nintendo games I want ported to the Switch:

Xenoblate Chronicles X - Obvious choice as the game is amazing and it was a little too big for the WiiU. The Switch would handle it just fine.
Yooka-Laylee - It's coming i know, just waiting for it to happen. It's also technically a PC and Switch game ported to the PS4 and XB1.
Super Mario Maker - Enhanced with many new features like slopes and new themes.
Super Mario Galaxy - A direct port will do. Just release it.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - same as above. Maybe have 1 and 2 on the same Switch cart or part of the same DLC.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions - Doubt it would ever happen but one can dream right?

Non Nintendo games I want ported ot the Switch:

Persona 4 - Doubt it would ever happen because Atlus though.
Persona 5 - It's just an upscaled PS3 game so the Switch can handle it easily. But because Atlus, I doubt it'll be anythnig except a PS exclusive.
Kingdom Hearts - 1 and 2. All of the point releases. Pasically port the 1.5+2.5 and 2.8 releases. They are all old games the Switch can handle them easily. This would totally sell on the Switch.
Shantae - Risky's Revenge remake and Pirate's Curse - Half Genie Hero is being ported to the Switch so why not the other 2 as well. All 3 of these games were on the WiiU and are great games.

Everything Gamecube should be Virtual Console. The Switch can totally handle this based on what the Dolphin Emulator can do. But what games do I think should come to the GC VC? Well I think these:

Super Smash Bros Melee - For obvious reasons. People would but a Switch just for this, to have portable Smash Bros Melee.
Super Mario Sunshine - I hate the game, but enough people like it, to make this worthwhile.
Eternal Darkness - One of the only Nintendo made horror/thriller games and it's actually quite good.
Mario Power Tennis - The last good Sports game Nintendo has made.

Nintendo should offer a "Core" system.

$199 would be awesome for just the unit, joy-cons, and joy-con straps, and just include a USB-C cable.
That price point would be impossible as most of the tech is in the tablet and the joycons. The dock and cables are a tiny fraction of the cost to manufacturer and develop the Switch.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
So, whats the deal with Nintendo not talking about VC at all? Why is this something they aren't concerned about? I won't buy a switch until VC is released so I have all the nintendo classics because right now the available games besides zelda are not appealing to me.

You would think if people had access to everything dating back to SNES that people would jump on this to have an all in one nintendo machine vs having several different old consoles hooked up to your TV. I mean my n64 looks grainy as can be on my 47" LED tv.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
You would think if people had access to everything dating back to SNES that people would jump on this to have an all in one nintendo machine vs having several different old consoles hooked up to your TV. I mean my n64 looks grainy as can be on my 47" LED tv.
Play it on the Switch's tablet screen. It'll look great there. Even better than it did on the WiiU gamepad screen.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Play it on the Switch's tablet screen. It'll look great there. Even better than it did on the WiiU gamepad screen.

As in what, hook up the n64 to the switch screen? That would be great, but it would be better just to have VC come out already as it would just be easier.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
So, whats the deal with Nintendo not talking about VC at all? Why is this something they aren't concerned about? I won't buy a switch until VC is released so I have all the nintendo classics because right now the available games besides zelda are not appealing to me.
I think they are simply riding the waves of the Switchs success at the moment. No need to create more momentum, but rather save it for when the Switch isn't as hot anymore. I would assume they would announce something before the year is over.

Of course, it should have been there day one.. But this is Nintendo after all..

Reactions: hawkeye_a

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
As in what, hook up the n64 to the switch screen? That would be great, but it would be better just to have VC come out already as it would just be easier.
As in just play the VC on the Switch screen . . . when Nintendo one day put the VC on the Switch.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
As in just play the VC on the Switch screen . . . when Nintendo one day put the VC on the Switch.

That was what my original post was about, getting them to get on the ball with VC so that I can play classics and not have the grain that appears on newer TV's with older consoles (n64 in particular).

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
I was disappointed that they hadnt announced plans for the Virtual Console on the Switch, until I realized that I have a Wii with all the VC titles I want anyway, and that i'd have to pay for all those titles again, if I wanted them on the Switch; And I use my Switch primarily as a home console, so the net benefit would be zero(for me).

I have no hangups about keeping my Wii around.

I'd prefer if they put in the effort to remaster some GCN games (I'd buy the GCN games themselves, but they're pretty rare and expensive these days)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
That was what my original post was about, getting them to get on the ball with VC so that I can play classics and not have the grain that appears on newer TV's with older consoles (n64 in particular).

Nintendo has to put effort into their new online shop - it is very different than before (I had to tie my old account to the new one).

Once the new online shop is up and stable, Nintendo can start offering older games for download. Hopefully, if you bought it before on the Wii U or 3DS, you'd get a copy for the Switch (or at least a discount).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Been thinking a lot about this the past few days, I think I'd like to see more PC indie games get ported over for sure. Some classic PC games would be nice too, like Tyrian, Doom, Duke3D.

But GTAV I'd kill for. Don't care if it looks worse than the 360 version at this point. Even Chinatown Wars would be nice. I'm chomping on the bit for another big action RPG-type game.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
Been thinking a lot about this the past few days, I think I'd like to see more PC indie games get ported over for sure. Some classic PC games would be nice too, like Tyrian, Doom, Duke3D.

But GTAV I'd kill for. Don't care if it looks worse than the 360 version at this point. Even Chinatown Wars would be nice. I'm chomping on the bit for another big action RPG-type game.

GTA isn't coming to Switch, I'd wager ever. Likewise for RDR2. Rockstar only develops for the big consoles, and after Chinatown Wars absolutely tanked on DS (sub-1% attachment) they have no incentive to develop for it until it's carrying a 15m+ install base.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.