Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love-hate šŸ relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
macbook air M1

i play 1/2h a day sometimes (2h in a row, so), asphalt 8, optimised for apple silicon, a game apparently not too intensive

the temperatures are quite high, around 80 degrees celcius (175 Fahrenheit)

Is it very bad for the battery to suffer from such a temperature for more than 1 hour?

same question for video exports, apart from throttling, is it bad for the battery (and the screen, or other components) to maintain such a high temperature?
Speaking of throttling, is 80 degrees enough to cause a drop in performance, or do you have to get close to 90-100 degrees for that to happen?

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
macbook air M1

i play 1/2h a day sometimes (2h in a row, so), asphalt 8, optimised for apple silicon, a game apparently not too intensive

the temperatures are quite high, around 80 degrees celcius (175 Fahrenheit)

Is it very bad for the battery to suffer from such a temperature for more than 1 hour?

same question for video exports, apart from throttling, is it bad for the battery (and the screen, or other components) to maintain such a high temperature?
Speaking of throttling, is 80 degrees enough to cause a drop in performance, or do you have to get close to 90-100 degrees for that to happen?
Of course itā€™s bad for the battery. Using it is bad for everything and causes wear. Itā€™s best if you keep it sealed in the box.

Seriously though 80 C isnā€™t hot for the CPU. I donā€™t know the throttle spec for M1 but I would be shocked if it was below 90. I doubt the battery is getting very hot. Just use it and have fun. If youā€™re worried get AppleCare.

Love-hate šŸ relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Of course itā€™s bad for the battery. Using it is bad for everything and causes wear. Itā€™s best if you keep it sealed in the box.

Seriously though 80 C isnā€™t hot for the CPU. I donā€™t know the throttle spec for M1 but I would be shocked if it was below 90. I doubt the battery is getting very hot. Just use it and have fun. If youā€™re worried get AppleCare.
haha

yeah ik it's not hot for the cpu itself, but the case feels reaaaaaly hot !

damn you're right, just checked and if istats menu is to be trusted, while the soc is at 80 degrees, battery is only at 36 , which isnt that bad is it ?

i have apple care, but their battery replacement program is really obscure,i asked them and the genius said that it depends on whether the battery comes up "red" after the tests. what is red and what isnt, god knows

1686346102315.png
Capture dā€™eĢcran 2023-06-09 aĢ€ 23.25.51.png

Reactions: russell_314
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.