Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Is it possible to get acceptable gaming performance this way? I have great internet speeds and just trying to run a classic game from 1999 on my Mac from my PC, even right next to each other and the performance just isn't there... There is artifacts and lag on the screen. I am using the first party Microsoft Remote Desktop from the App Store, and turning Remote Desktop directly on from my laptop through Windows 11.

Is this possible or no?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 10.42.41 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 10.42.41 PM.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 199

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I wouldn't. RDP is not designed as a low latency gaming thing, it's more of an acceptable speed reliable connection.

Though I'd try Jump Desktop on the Mac, it works a bit better. I don't think it would be better enough. And cut down on the bitplanes to 16 bit. It will look worse, but it'll be faster.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I have a PC for gaming, but I prefer to not switch over and just stay on my Mac. This is what I do.

Install Steam on Mac
Install Steam on PC

When both the Mac and PC are on and running Steam, anything you have available to play on your PC can then be played on your Mac. It just streams the game from your PC. Works perfectly. Basically, the PC does all the work.

• Love
Reactions: zokstar

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
What if my MacBook Air is Apple Silicone? Does it matter? It just streams from the PC to Mac?

Yes, I use the Mac Mini M2. All it is doing is streaming from a PC version of Steam to a Mac version of Steam. Any game installed on the PC and linked through Steam will work fine. Don't even need to buy the game from steam. Just add a link in Steam to something you already have installed and it works.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Yes, I use the Mac Mini M2. All it is doing is streaming from a PC version of Steam to a Mac version of Steam. Any game installed on the PC and linked through Steam will work fine. Don't even need to buy the game from steam. Just add a link in Steam to something you already have installed and it works.

Even games that aren't within the steam ecosystem?! That sounds amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.