Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2005
La Crosse, WI
Has anyone tried gaming with Parallels? I'm interested to see if it would run smoothly, and this may sway me away from my frugally-picked choice of going with a Mac Mini (after they release an awesome update ;) or after Leopard is released) to go with an iMac. I doubt that I could swing a Mac Pro, unfortunately, but I'm definitely considering either an iMac or Mac Mini.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Well as there is no DirectX support gaming isn't really an option with parallels at the moment, VMware fusion can do directx 8.1 (iirc).

Command and Conquer 2 will open and sound can be heard but no video.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
No, parallels isn't really designed for gaming at the moment, you'd use bootcamp for that.

This has been asked many, many times before.

MacBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2005
La Crosse, WI
Ahh, my most sincere apologies, I only saw a couple threads when I searched, and they weren't directly answering my question. Thanks for the responses!

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Use Boot Camp and VMWare. VMW can use your BC partition to run Windows so you don't have to have it on there twice, and anything you install will be in both. Then, whatever doesn't run in VMW, you can just reboot to run. Parallels doesn't have DX support at all, and VMW is faster in my opinion (going to get a lot better soon too), plus it's free for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.