Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakebrosy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
First, I’ve never “started” a conversation here so be gentle.

Long story short: a friend showed me her migraine headset today (heat, massage, vibration, ‘music’ in a Vision Pro-looking device) and I was reminded of one of my students when he was a PhD candidate. He had a pair of glasses that did moving light and sound that supposedly slowed your brainwaves (or sped them up if you wanted). I remember trying his and wanting a pair, but being in the middle of raising 5 kids didn’t have the free cash. Laugh all you want: I never slept better than after using his setup.

Flash forward 40 years and I started searching for (1) what the hell were they? and (2) can you still buy them?

They are still offered under a number of trade names (Limina & Kasina are the big players and Deepak effing-Chopra even offers a set) and, surprisingly, they look almost exactly like what my student had. Sad little faux-iPod connected to cheesy plastic sunglasses and a pair of cheap earbuds. I can see the eyebrow-raised-doubt on my husband’s face if I put them on…

So, I wondered….why can’t this be done with an app on my iPhone? Or, hell, why can’t it be an app on Vision Pro? Everything is there. Why can’t this experience be elevated? $10/month for a premium Ganzfield experience. Sign me up now.

I don’t build apps but am throwing out there for the smart kids in the room who do. And if you do—and if it works—maybe remember me with a freebie subscription. Then I might even have a reason to buy a $3500 gadget.

Reactions: fatTribble

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Interesting idea — this could absolutely be an app for Vision Pro. The included meditation app is wonderful, and you can see the potential for doing all sorts of unique things for relaxation/stress reduction. There is really so much that could be done in the area of mental health.

jakebrosy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Not sure exactly what kind of app you are envisioning. Does something like this lean in The right direction?
Thanks for pointing it out. That looks like it might be--but I wonder how immersive it is. Using Ganzfield glasses is a sensory deprivation experience that seriously enhances the sound.

Tried the app with just headphones and it seems to be what I remember (again that was 40 years ago). I'm interested enough to try it with Vision Pro.

Now I have to have the 'why are you buying those when you said they were stupid?' conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Spring

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Thanks for pointing it out. That looks like it might be--but I wonder how immersive it is. Using Ganzfield glasses is a sensory deprivation experience that seriously enhances the sound.

Tried the app with just headphones and it seems to be what I remember (again that was 40 years ago). I'm interested enough to try it with Vision Pro.

Now I have to have the 'why are you buying those when you said they were stupid?' conversation.

I used a device like this for a few years, a Procyon from Mindplace. From what I recall the science is out on whether they impact brain wave entrainment the same way auditory binaural beats do. They do seem to aid in leading one to a meditative state though as the visuals can help one tune out and for that reason alone they usually helped me get to sleep.

That said, I'd wonder if the AVP could get bright enough to work the same way, getting a closed lid light show.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.