Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmoney18

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2020
I received a replacement 13 Pro and noticed in sunny conditions there’s a gap in between speaker and stainless steel frame at the top. Should I contact AppleCare about this or not worry about it? My previous 13 Pro doesn’t have this issue.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I received a replacement 13 Pro and noticed in sunny conditions there’s a gap in between speaker and stainless steel frame at the top. Should I contact AppleCare about this or not worry about it? My previous 13 Pro doesn’t have this issue.
Is it a refurb or a new phone?
Kind of makes me wonder if it's a refurb that got reassembled incorrectly or a defective new phone.

gmoney18

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2020
I’m not sure how to tell but it’s just a express replacement that was sent by AppleCare

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
It starts with an N

Then it’s definitely a refurbished/replacement device, I’d take it back to Apple or start an online exchange stating you’re not convinced with its water resistant properties with a gap there.
Chances are it wouldn’t ever cause any issues, but if it bothers you now you’ll always notice it and it may also affect resale value or trade in with a third party.

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Then it’s definitely a refurbished device, I’d take it back to Apple or start an online exchange stating you’re not convinced with its water resistant properties with a gap there.
Chances are it wouldn’t ever cause any issues, but if it bothers you now you’ll always notice it and it may also affect resale value or trade in with a third party.
Even if OP does get it replace again, it will still start with "N" as it is a warranty replacement unit that Apple provide.

Also an fyi.

Here is how to Determine if iPhone is New, Refurbished, Replacement, or Personalized

1. Open the “Settings” app on the iPhone
  2. Go to “General” and then go to “About”
  3. Look for “Model” and then read the model identifier next to that text, it will look something like “MN572LL/A”, the first character will let you know if the device is new, refurbished, replacement, or personalized:
  • M – Brand new device, meaning the device was purchased new
  • F – Refurbished device, meaning the device has been through refurbishing process
  • N – Replacement device, meaning the originally bought device was replaced by this model likely due to a service request
  • P – Personalized device with engraving, meaning the device was customized with an engraving on purchase

gmoney18

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2020
Received the replacement and it still has the same gap above the speaker. I’m not going to make it a big deal anymore. I’ll just keep this one.

gmoney18

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2020
Or should I keep playing the lottery? I know a lot of people don’t have the gap on their 13 Pro. My original phone didn’t and that’s why I’m slightly adamant about getting a replacement that doesn’t have the gap either.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
If this is your 2nd or 3rd replacment and still has it, clear indication that it's possible next one would have it. If it's not on the top, it would be on the bottom, if it's not on the bottom then it would be on the top.

IMO I'd keep it

Reactions: Fred Zed
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.