Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olytuck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2016
UK
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has experience recording vocals through Garageband?

Is there any example settings you could share? Using the RODE NT1-A. Struggling with the top frequencies - e.g. the 'S''s are really prominent.

Thanks
Oly

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
The unpleasant S sound (or any Sibilant sound) generally resides in the 5 to 8k area. You may be able to cut some in the EQ in the area and help your issue. A more advanced solution is a multiband compressor. Localize the frequency, center a band on it, and reduce the threshold. There are de-esser plugins in LPX, not really sure about GB as I have never really used it. But if the de-esser plugin exists in GB you could play around with that. I personally prefer the multiband comp approach though.

olytuck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2016
UK
The unpleasant S sound (or any Sibilant sound) generally resides in the 5 to 8k area. You may be able to cut some in the EQ in the area and help your issue. A more advanced solution is a multiband compressor. Localize the frequency, center a band on it, and reduce the threshold. There are de-esser plugins in LPX, not really sure about GB as I have never really used it. But if the de-esser plugin exists in GB you could play around with that. I personally prefer the multiband comp approach though.

Cool thanks xb2003. I will give tweaking those frequencies a try.

Reactions: xb2003
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.