Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have a garage door opener from 2004... and the motor is going out... time to update the system, but would prefer something that is compatible with CarPlay... not sure where to start... several threads here talk about HomeKit add-ons for the openers... and I have not found anything that is CarPlay-ready out of the box... any

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
FWIW it’s HomeKit, not CarPlay.

Googling that turned up a few “Best of 2020” review guides but I didn’t have a chance to read them to see if there are any integrated models.

My 2015 MyQ opener didn’t have it built in, so I got the separate wireless hub. Works great. Took about 10 min to unbox and setup.

Reactions: pippox0

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Yeah most will require a hub. I have a MyQ lift master as well with the hub. Works great.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Like aristobrat mentioned, there is no CarPlay enabled garage door opener. CarPlay pulls the info from HomeKit so as long as its HomeKit enabled, it will show up in CarPlay.

I had the Insignia openers for a couple years and they worked great. Only issue was the battery life in the door sensors. Maybe got 2-3 months out of the CR 2054 tops. Guess it also depends on how often you use it. Other than that, flawless.

The iSmartGate got really got reviews too. I moved a few months ago and left the Insignia openers with the new home owners so I’m gonna test out the MyQ system. Got a really good deal on the openers and hub during Black Friday last year.

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
Ok so there is no direct door opener (a maybe) but I have my garage door/gates opening with Siri.

Get a SmartLife enabled door opener module off ebay or Amazon (make sure it says it’s SmartLife compatible). The opener ties into the button press circuit on your existing door/gate controller. The SmartLife app uses Siri Shortcuts and allows you to invoke them via carplay. Job. Done.

About 400yds from home I just press the steering wheel button to invoke Siri and say open gate. All good.

Reactions: cdcastillo

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
I had 3 of the Insignias and got tired of battery changes every 2-3 months as well as wireless delays. I swapped to an iSmartgate Pro so that I could wire my 3 garage doors to wired sensors as well as Ethernet using an Apple USB-Ethernet adapter you overcome some WiFi delay issues. So far so good after 2 months.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I have a ismartgate for my actual gate and it works great in that as well. Solid as a rock and been working for six months now.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Yeah I’m impressed how well it works. I did hardwire mine to my network because my gate control box is in no mans land for WiFi. But if you have good WiFi where you install it it’ll work great. (I know cause I temporarily moved my router to check and when I had great signal it worked great but I couldn’t leave my router in that spot)

Reactions: Itinj24

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have a ismartgate for my actual gate and it works great in that as well. Solid as a rock and been working for six months now.

Amazon has a few one-star reviews (overall, 3.9/5 on 58 reviews)... what batteries does this unit take? Standard AA? Some obscure size?

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Amazon has a few one-star reviews (overall, 3.9/5 on 58 reviews)... what batteries does this unit take? Standard AA? Some obscure size?

I have mine plugged into power. Unless you mean the sensor. Don’t recall but haven’t had to touch it yet.

I’m guessing 98% of all issues with them is WiFi. Once I had mine hardwired (had to just get a usb to Ethernet adapter. There are some they say they know work) I had no issues. But before it was constantly losing signal. Not surprising though because of where I have mine. Inside the gate control box which is metal outside of stuccoed wall. Heck my cell phone has WiFi issues at that spot even when it’s not in the control box.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have mine plugged into power. Unless you mean the sensor. Don’t recall but haven’t had to touch it yet.

I’m guessing 98% of all issues with them is WiFi. Once I had mine hardwired (had to just get a usb to Ethernet adapter. There are some they say they know work) I had no issues. But before it was constantly losing signal. Not surprising though because of where I have mine. Inside the gate control box which is metal outside of stuccoed wall. Heck my cell phone has WiFi issues at that spot even when it’s not in the control box.

The reviews state power issues with the door sensor... I am not concerned about about wifi... I have a mess node on the other side (inside) of the garage wall)...

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Ok, I got the ismartgate delivered just now. So far, it's a bit bundle of frustration. There is no 'manual'. The install process is not working. Added the device to HomeKit and it reports "not responding". The ismartgate app doesn't find the controller... and there's nowhere to turn for help. Going back post haste. What a load of crap.

Last edited:

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
If your having issues slow down. It is not crap by any means.

The power issues was a first run and they changed the power supplies so that issue isn’t around anymore. I question your WiFi if it can’t find it. Which directions where you following and is it a gate one or a garage door one?

I’d suggest setting it up inside your house near your router before installing it.

There is an installation manual and you have to follow it. But it’s online only.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
If your having issues slow down. It is not crap by any means.

The power issues was a first run and they changed the power supplies so that issue isn’t around anymore. I question your WiFi if it can’t find it. Which directions where you following and is it a gate one or a garage door one?

I’d suggest setting it up inside your house near your router before installing it.

There is an installation manual and you have to follow it. But it’s online only.

I am following the instructions for the garage door. I am sitting in my office about 4 feet away from my router. The device may not be a load of crap, but the process is... and WIFI is fine.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I am following the instructions for the garage door. I am sitting in my office about 4 feet away from my router. The device may not be a load of crap, but the process is... and WIFI is fine.

My concern was if it’s already in the garage somewhere. There’s videos online on doing it, but I used the app and had it walk me through it. The app was pretty strait forward. Have to make sure it’s on 2.4 as I recall as you do it. Does your WiFi have separate names for 2.4 and 5?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
My concern was if it’s already in the garage somewhere. There’s videos online on doing it, but I used the app and had it walk me through it. The app was pretty strait forward. Have to make sure it’s on 2.4 as I recall as you do it. Does your WiFi have separate names for 2.4 and 5?

Yes, separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5Ghz bands... on 2.4... already got the RMA processed from Amazon... now searching for other options. Thanks for trying.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I got the Insignia opener and have it installed... working well... but a question: I do not see a button or popup alerting me of the ability to use the opener from CarPlay. I can invoke Siri to do so without issue. Does a button or prompt show up on the screen? One other thread said it appeared on "the overview" screen - is that the Dashboard screen or something else?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I got the Insignia opener and have it installed... working well... but a question: I do not see a button or popup alerting me of the ability to use the opener from CarPlay. I can invoke Siri to do so without issue. Does a button or prompt show up on the screen? One other thread said it appeared on "the overview" screen - is that the Dashboard screen or something else?
It should pop up on the bottom right of the screen that shows the map on the left and generally media on the top right. It’s the split screen layout that you’re looking for.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
It should pop up on the bottom right of the screen that shows the map on the left and generally media on the top right. It’s the split screen layout that you’re looking for.

Sorted it out a couple of weeks ago... had to enable "Siri suggestions" on the CarPlay Dashboard...

Reactions: Itinj24

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I WENT WITH THE garageMate - Bluetooth no no issues with WiFi or relying on a third party account; works with Siri.

Only downside is you can't check doors remotely, operate from web, etc. Plus is if Wifi is down still can open door.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.