Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
random
Hi,

since I got the iPad mini 2 recently I played around in GarageBand on iOS and then decided to try it out on my Mac and bought the latest 10.0.3 version.

Since installing it my SB Omni sound device does not output sound anymore, it is listed as Sound Output device in System Preferences and the menu bar.

I reinstalled the driver from Creative, but since it was the original version (no updates since November 2014) one I installed months earlier, it did not help.
I can still change the volume, but no sound happens anywhere anyhow.

How can I uninstall GB to remedy that? Does GB install its own audio driver? This is frustrating.

RESOLVED:

Open Audio MIDI Setup and create an Aggregate Device:

Screen Shot 2015-06-04 at 01.01.29.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-04 at 01.01.32.png

Last edited:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Hi,

since I got the iPad mini 2 recently I played around in GarageBand on iOS and then decided to try it out on my Mac and bought the latest 10.0.3 version.

Since installing it my SB Omni sound device does not output sound anymore, it is listed as Sound Output device in System Preferences and the menu bar.

I reinstalled the driver from Creative, but since it was the original version (no updates since November 2014) one I installed months earlier, it did not help.
I can still change the volume, but no sound happens anywhere anyhow.

How can I uninstall GB to remedy that? Does GB install its own audio driver? This is frustrating.
GarageBand does funky things with the OS X audio system to optimize for performance, such as turning on low-latency mode. My suspicion is that your external sound card doesn't like the reconfigured audio parameters, and thus refuses to play anything.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
random
GarageBand does funky things with the OS X audio system to optimize for performance, such as turning on low-latency mode. My suspicion is that your external sound card doesn't like the reconfigured audio parameters, and thus refuses to play anything.

I think so too.

How can I uninstall GB do undo that? I know of the complete guide, but does that help solve the audio problem? What a ****** piece of software for doing that.

I also looked into Audio Mid Setup and this is what I see:

Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 15.36.08.png

As you can see, the Volume on Front Left and Front Right (I only have a stereo setup) is zero, but it cannot be changed, not even Configure Speakers brings help.

I guess I have to revert to a clone from 20 hours ago if I cannot remedy the problem. Man, this is ****ed up.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I suppose you could try this procedure:
  1. Open LaunchPad
  2. Find GarageBand.
  3. Click and hold the icon, until they all start jiggling.
  4. Click the little X. You'll be asked to confirm uninstallation.
  5. Open Computer in the Finder.
  6. Go to the root of your main (boot) drive, then Library, then Audio.
  7. You'll find some PLIST (property list) files in here called "com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist" and "com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist".
  8. Copy those to your Desktop, then delete the originals (you'll need to authenticate as an administrator).
  9. Reboot your Mac, so the audio change takes effect.
That should fix things. If that works, you can delete the copies on your Desktop.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
random
I suppose you could try this procedure:
  1. Open LaunchPad
  2. Find GarageBand.
  3. Click and hold the icon, until they all start jiggling.
  4. Click the little X. You'll be asked to confirm uninstallation.
  5. Open Computer in the Finder.
  6. Go to the root of your main (boot) drive, then Library, then Audio.
  7. You'll find some PLIST (property list) files in here called "com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist" and "com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist".
  8. Copy those to your Desktop, then delete the originals (you'll need to authenticate as an administrator).
  9. Reboot your Mac, so the audio change takes effect.
That should fix things. If that works, you can delete the copies on your Desktop.

Thanks, that did the trick. Though I uninstalled GarageBand via Finder and Name and System Files and all that schmuck.

And the plist files are located at Macintosh HD / Library / PREFERENCES / Audio.

What a piece of **** software for doing that. I guess I try to run GB in a VM to see if it works that way. Or I should just switch to Windows and use Magix products. They are the hit with an s.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Thanks, that did the trick. Though I uninstalled GarageBand via Finder and Name and System Files and all that schmuck.

And the plist files are located at Macintosh HD / Library / PREFERENCES / Audio.

What a piece of **** software for doing that. I guess I try to run GB in a VM to see if it works that way. Or I should just switch to Windows and use Magix products. They are the hit with an s.
Just curious, why are you using an external sound card? If you're using a MacBook (Pro/Air) I know the default speakers aren't all that good - I have one and I've experienced this. However, it's easily remedied with some external speakers plugged into the headphone port. If, on the other hand, your needs are for ports your Mac doesn't offer, using an external sound card makes sense here, as that's the easiest way to get said ports. I have never used external sound cards at all, let alone with Macs, which is why I ask.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
random
The reason is a Yosemite Hackintosh with Maxwell graphics and the audio setup is kinda complicated for my main board.

But since the problem never occurred before in that extent, I blame GarageBand, even though it is very likely, that it doesn't work well with non Apple hardware, which is kinda strange, as the Hack is more stable than any Intel Mac I had before and works with more software than those Intel Macs. Hmm.

It worked, and the next time I try GB I will remember this and maybe do it another way. Or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.