Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
So, just upgraded my GarageBand on my iPhone, and expected to be hit up for a $5 iAP. However, no such offer of a purchase existed AND I seem to have access to all the smart instruments, etc..

I *DID* pay the $5 for my Mac version of GarageBand (iAP) and I *DID* purchase GarageBand when it first came out for $5 (or whatever it was). Also, I'm using it on a 5s... SO, any ideas as to why I get the GB iAP free on iOS?

Speculation? Wild guesses? Anyone else get hit-up for $5?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
So, just upgraded my GarageBand on my iPhone, and expected to be hit up for a $5 iAP. However, no such offer of a purchase existed AND I seem to have access to all the smart instruments, etc..

I *DID* pay the $5 for my Mac version of GarageBand (iAP) and I *DID* purchase GarageBand when it first came out for $5 (or whatever it was). Also, I'm using it on a 5s... SO, any ideas as to why I get the GB iAP free on iOS?

Speculation? Wild guesses? Anyone else get hit-up for $5?

Because you already bought Garageband.

It's just an update, not an entirely new app.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Is the new "Drummer" feature only on the full desktop version? I don't see it anywhere in the new Garage Band on my iPad.

bobbd

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
They said that Garageband would be free on the 5S and it would seem that includes the in-app purchase.

I have an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5 and I do have to pay the in-app purchase. Worse, I can't play songs that I created before because they use what is now part of an in-app purchase. What's almost funny is that the original Curtain Call Demo that came with the original no longer plays. I've written iTunes Support. I don't mind paying for new features but I don't like paying for something I've already paid for and used.

Would someone verify my findings please. I hope it's not just me. Is it possible that the in-app purchase goes away with the upgrade to iOS 7.0.3? Anyone with an older device running into the same problems?

Bob

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
Anyone know of a website that is devoted to uploads of music creations made using GarageBand for iPad?

GameraFan

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
They said that Garageband would be free on the 5S and it would seem that includes the in-app purchase.
On my iPhone 5s with iOS 7.0.3, GarageBand is asking for $4.99 to buy one Complete collection of GarageBand instruments and sounds.

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
On my iPhone 5s with iOS 7.0.3, GarageBand is asking for $4.99 to buy one Complete collection of GarageBand instruments and sounds.

Me too on my iPod touch 5G. Bought Garageband a couple of months ago. Figured it out now: You get all instruments after reloading already bought contents (I don't know what it's called exactly in English, in German it's called "Einkäufe wiederherstellen"). If you've already bought Garageband at 4.99$ or whatever it was, you'll get the "extra" instruments again for free.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
I straight-upgraded from an existing GarageBand install on iOS to the new version. On both my iPad and iPhone I can't even find where to buy the full pack and I'm NOT missing anything that was there before... So it seems that on iOS it knows if you bought it before.

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
I straight-upgraded from an existing GarageBand install on iOS to the new version. On both my iPad and iPhone I can't even find where to buy the full pack and I'm NOT missing anything that was there before... So it seems that on iOS it knows if you bought it before.

It might be crucial, if you updated directly on your iOS device or on your Mac. If you downloaded the updated version via iTunes and transferred it via USB, the "not bought" instruments might be absent...

bobbd

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
I found that if you say that you want the new stuff and tap Restore purchases (small print underneath) then you do get them loaded apparently for free. I'll see if I get an invoice tomorrow.

They could have made it more obvious.

Bob

Ellethor

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Venezuela
iPhone 4 - Reduce animations

I think my iPhone 4 is much fast with reduction of animations, or is this just a visual effect??

----------

Was a mistake, Im out of Thread :(

I think my iPhone 4 is much fast with reduction of animations, or is this just a visual effect??

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn

I too am unable to find the in app purchases. I already had garageband installed on my ios devices (5 and ipad 4) and have some new features post yesterdays update but for the life of me don't see where I can buy anything.

Could someone describe or post a screen shot as to where you'd tap to pay for the updates?

bobbd

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
Could someone describe or post a screen shot as to where you'd tap to pay for the updates?

If you attempt to load a song that was created before the upgrade, Garageband asks you if you if you want to add the complete collection. If you answer Yes, it takes you to the in-app purchase screen. At the bottom, there's an Already purchased? button. That's what I touched and it loaded everything.

I installed the upgrade after downloading to my Mac. So maybe that is why it's not automatic. As I said, they could have made it more obvious what was happening.

Bob

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
If you attempt to load a song that was created before the upgrade, Garageband asks you if you if you want to add the complete collection. If you answer Yes, it takes you to the in-app purchase screen. At the bottom, there's an Already purchased? button. That's what I touched and it loaded everything.

I installed the upgrade after downloading to my Mac. So maybe that is why it's not automatic. As I said, they could have made it more obvious what was happening.

Bob

I just opened the original Curtain Call demo song and it didn't ask. Should it?

bobbd

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
I just opened the original Curtain Call demo song and it didn't ask. Should it?

Maybe you already have it loaded. Can you open other songs created with the original? If so, then you have it installed already.

Bob

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Is the new "Drummer" feature only on the full desktop version? I don't see it anywhere in the new Garage Band on my iPad.

Yes.

I'm glad too. All the drummers take up 8.0GB. Hate for that much to be wasted on my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.