Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super T

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
Aurora, IL
Lots of questions here - Considering selling a half-stack w/ rack fx that I don't use nearly enough to justify the space it takes up, and change over to using Garageband as an amp.

I've found a few (seemingly) good audio I/O interfaces for guitar (opinions welcome here as well!), but how well does this work, practically? Looking to mess around in my home office, don't need to gig or anything.

Are effects bundles reasonable, and do they sound decent? Any recommendations? Coming from a Sansamp PSA-1 preamp with about 100 preamp presets, and a Rocktron Intellifex effects processor. Also will be giving up my Korg DTR1 rack mount tuner - I would hope/assume you can get a good tuner plugin?

What about controlling effects? I have a rocktron midi pedalboard that would control presets in the PSA-1 and Intellifex. Stomp buttons 4-9 in order, and it would go to whichever preset you mapped to 49 on each device. Can I use something like that to set up effects groups to presets? Or will I have to stop playing and click a mouse?

Completely green on this. Looking to minimize expense but want to be able to just jam without a bunch of steps or external devices.

Any/all input is appreciated. Started off w/ a search on the MIDI topic and just found a bunch of instrument threads. Thanks!

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Given that you've had no responses, you might be better looking on somewhere like gearspace.com,

Can't comment on the guitar stuff, but Garageband already comes with a shedload of effects and amp simulators & a virtual pedalboard, even more if you upgrade to Logic Pro. I don't think GarageBand can do the MIDI-to-effect control mapping, so you might need Logic Pro for that (it's a bit arcane in Logic, but the capability is there).

Reactions: Super T

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Have you looked at iRig-2 ?

Or perhaps iTrack One ?

I think GarageBand is great for recording - but for "on the fly" effects it might be combersome - IMHO

I am using a Boss ME 25 for easy just plugin and go

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
Which interfaces are you looking at?

Garageband works pretty great for guitar amping. It has a lot of built in amp sims, effects, and cab sims. You don't get much more with Logic. Obviously it's very different playing though headphones or out your computer speakers or monitors, but its nice and handy and quiet compared to an amp. And of course you can get 3rd party plugins for more stuff.

Super T

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
Aurora, IL
Which interfaces are you looking at?

Garageband works pretty great for guitar amping. It has a lot of built in amp sims, effects, and cab sims. You don't get much more with Logic. Obviously it's very different playing though headphones or out your computer speakers or monitors, but its nice and handy and quiet compared to an amp. And of course you can get 3rd party plugins for more stuff.
I wasn't yet.... suggestions?

Super T

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
Aurora, IL
Have you looked at iRig-2 ?

Or perhaps iTrack One ?

I think GarageBand is great for recording - but for "on the fly" effects it might be combersome - IMHO

I am using a Boss ME 25 for easy just plugin and go
Thanks! Those two interfaces look super sweet for iOS but I don't envision wanting/needing to be portable, I think I'm looking more for MacOS.

That Boss pedal looks pretty sweet and simple but apparently it's discontinued. Maybe I'll have to head to Guitar Center and see what's new... though I'd really like to avoid pedals and more outboard stuff since this will be my home office/work computer.

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
I wasn't yet.... suggestions?
I bought a Scarlet 3rd gen recently and like it a lot. I tried a Roland Quad Capture and Behringer UMC404HD and thought the Scarlet was the best. I specifically wanted one that worked with my iPad as well and have no complaints there.

Reactions: Super T
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.