Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steeleclipse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2002
Canada
WOW! what a great app... i would have paid twice the price

the only thing that concerns me is the import and export functions... they didnt say much

import: do you think you can import existing aiff, wav, mp3 etc tracks and samples???

export: aiff, wav and mp3???

i hope so... what do you guys think???

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
i think this is where they have drawn the line to keep it a toy and not a serious app for music. from what i can see and have heard it uses AAC files, not wav or aiff. it also doesn't import any audio files of your own. your have to use Apple's bundled loops. and i don't think there are many export options, if any. don't look to this app if you are serious about making music. just buy Ableton Live and Reason instead.

steeleclipse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2002
Canada
Originally posted by tjwett
i think this is where they have drawn the line to keep it a toy and not a serious app for music. from what i can see and have heard it uses AAC files, not wav or aiff. it also doesn't import any audio files of your own. your have to use Apple's bundled loops. and i don't think there are many export options, if any. don't look to this app if you are serious about making music. just buy Ableton Live and Reason instead.

I was worried this was more of a toy, but i really liked what i saw and the price is right :D

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
I don't think this will be anymore a toy than iMovie or iDVD. They are very good apps capable of producing very impressive results.

Serious musos will be frustrated with GB's limitations and look for something else, but I'm sure will find it useful as a quick and dirty ideas scratchpad - just as I hear many FCE & FCP users say about iMovie.

If you are relatively new to music creation I have no doubts GB will excite.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
I won't shell out $50 since my machine came with every other iLife app. But if I get a new Mac and it's on there I'll definitely try it out. It probably won't make it's way into the studio, or any of my track but like someone said, it's another nice little scetchpad to had on the laptop. And I admit I am curious about the synths.

steeleclipse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2002
Canada
Originally posted by ChrisH3677
I don't think this will be anymore a toy than iMovie or iDVD. They are very good apps capable of producing very impressive results.

te.

thats what im hoping :D

dutchmaster

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2001
From the Garage Band "Mix" page :

"The volume levels for each track are mixed well; the master level’s healthy and there’s no clipping. Pleased with what she’s done, Kathy exports her song to iTunes as a CD-quality AIFF file, where it’s automatically added to her growing playlist of original compositions."

So there is apparently at least some support for AIFFS in the program.

steeleclipse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2002
Canada
Originally posted by dutchmaster
From the Garage Band "Mix" page :

"The volume levels for each track are mixed well; the master level’s healthy and there’s no clipping. Pleased with what she’s done, Kathy exports her song to iTunes as a CD-quality AIFF file, where it’s automatically added to her growing playlist of original compositions."

So there is apparently at least some support for AIFFS in the program.

thats great! thanks dutchmaster! any word on import???

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
just having a better read of the GB pages.

It is everything and all I need as a hobbyist muso. It will also be an excellent intro to digital music for my kids.

I can't believe they're giving it away!!

(Well - one fifth of AUD$79 =about $16, and to me that's as good as free - and they're not even charging delivery!)

Well done Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.