Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angeldust33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
hello folks !!

i use garageband to record a lot of my songs and now i have got me a ncie little 250 gb external hdd to use with it. I wanted to ask any tipcs/tricks/hints that other more experienced users might have for me.

I remember reading somewhere that putting your audio files in the outer sectors of the drive results in lowe latency and faster speed. So i am tlaking abt things like these. So if anyone has any suggestions about how to optimize a external hdd to use for audio recording with the mabook please enlighten me too. .. :)

secondly isit a good idea to install the garageband itself on the eternal hdd or should i let it remain onthe system disk?

macbook only has firewire 400... will there be a considerable diffrence between firewire 400 and usb 2.0 ??

apperciate any suggestions !! :)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
angeldust33 said:
I remember reading somewhere that putting your audio files in the outer sectors of the drive results in lowe latency and faster speed.
and were there any suggestions on how exactly one is supposed to do that?

secondly isit a good idea to install the garageband itself on the eternal hdd or should i let it remain onthe system disk?
the important factor is where the audio files themselves go. if pressed, i'd say it's better for the app to be on a different drive, as parts of it may be paged to disk.

i keep PTLE on my main drive. sessions and audio files go on the 2nd drive. there's nothing on that 2nd drive but that.

angeldust33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
zimv20 said:
and were there any suggestions on how exactly one is supposed to do that?

the important factor is where the audio files themselves go. if pressed, i'd say it's better for the app to be on a different drive, as parts of it may be paged to disk.

i keep PTLE on my main drive. sessions and audio files go on the 2nd drive. there's nothing on that 2nd drive but that.

well unfortunately they didn't tell how to do that :(
what i am majorly curious about is how other people who compose on their macs.. use their external hdd... in order to ensure optimal perf. !! maybe i could learn from other's best practices !!

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
angeldust33 said:
well unfortunately they didn't tell how to do that :(
probably because it's a ludicrous idea.

maybe i could learn from other's best practices !!
just do what i suggested above. other than that, larger drive caches (like 8 meg) are preferable to smaller, and i'd stick with firewire 400 over usb2.

angeldust33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
i do have 8 mb cache
and for some reason the firewire doesnt work at all !!
well i think i have a fair idea about this !!

thnks !!

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
i keep all my apps on my main internal HD

And i save my projects, sample files ect. on my external..

BFD samples take up over 100gigs alone...uggh...

and I've moved all my jampacks to the external too, and pointed them with a shortcut to the Main HD so they work fine in Gband and Logic still...what else, oh ya, all the SAGE libraries for Stylus RMX are on the external too....

I used to puts apps in other places than my apps folder on the main HD, but I find it makes more sense to put all my apps in the apps folder....since it's called apps and all....
:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.