Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daniszwarc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2020
Hello, I was searching online and could not find an answer to see if this is actually possible.
I love to use my phone to record song ideas as they come up, using Garageband. I love how the built-in mic captures the music so I record guitar and voice.

When I want to record a second track, I connect my headset to listen to the first track there while I record the second one. However, as soon as I connect the apple provided headset, the input mic switches to the headset mic instead of keeping the built-in one as input.
Quality is way better with the built-in mic.

Anyone knows how to keep using the built-in mic as input even after I connect the headset?

Thank you in advance.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Is your headset using the 3.5 mm jack? If so, you can possibly do a little trick to disable the mic.

Try wrapping tape around the microphone ring on the connector (closest to the wire) and it should prevent detection as a mic by the device. It'll need to be done efficiently, so it can still fit in the connector. This may or may not work

daniszwarc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2020
Nope, it is the lightning port. But I guess there is no setting on the iPhone itself.
Thank you for your suggestion anyway.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
It seems strange to me that an app such as GarageBand would not include an option to do this. I haven't used iOS version of GarageBand, but I know that on Mac there is a line-in setting that allows choice of mic.

daniszwarc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2020
It seems strange to me that an app such as GarageBand would not include an option to do this. I haven't used iOS version of GarageBand, but I know that on Mac there is a line-in setting that allows choice of mic.
That's what I thought too, but either I couldn't find it or is not possible on the iPhone.

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
I hadn't thought of this before, but you are spot on here. I mean they like to tout these devices to creators, it seems to make sense to let you use it as a recording studio, since Garage Band and all that. Maybe someone will have a some better intel.

Reactions: daniszwarc

daniszwarc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2020
I hadn't thought of this before, but you are spot on here. I mean they like to tout these devices to creators, it seems to make sense to let you use it as a recording studio, since Garage Band and all that. Maybe someone will have a some better intel.
Well the little device is quite powerful and lets you create a quick mockup of your musical ideas with it, so just a simple "select your input" setting option would help big time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.