Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
has anyone as yet discovered a way to "bounce" two tracks down to one in GarageBand? For drums (in particular) it's hard to get the EQ set so the kick and snare both sound the way you want. That's easy enough to fix on two separate tracks, but I'd much rather combine those two tracks into one and use the track thus released for something else. Anybody have any thoughts?

The Truth

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2005
at my wits end (in Australia)
Two options I can think of:

1. In GB2 you can lock tracks, that will free up a lot of processor power.

2. You can get the mix of the drum tracks right then export them to itunes. Start a new project and import the new single mixed drum track back in.

Hope this helps.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
good ideas...

I'm thinking I'm going to have to go with option #2. I do the drum tracks in iDrum (which is really good...anybody who doesn't have it should get it) and then export to AIFF and import into GarageBand. So what I'm going to do is make 3 or 4 separate exports of the drum track (hi-hat, snare, kick, toms) and kinda combine them in GarageBand. It'd just be nice to have one drum track EQ'd the way I want that I could use as a loop.

I'll keep scratching my head...

LaoTzu

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2005
beatsme said:
has anyone as yet discovered a way to "bounce" two tracks down to one in GarageBand? For drums (in particular) it's hard to get the EQ set so the kick and snare both sound the way you want. That's easy enough to fix on two separate tracks, but I'd much rather combine those two tracks into one and use the track thus released for something else. Anybody have any thoughts?

Export to iTunes, if it's the only 2 tracks? ( set pref's to not make a cheap MP3 ;-)

I'm not sure what GB can do, but Logic Express has more options, of course. I'm not sure, but it seems you want what we call a "Sub Mix", so when using anything but GB, there should be reference to it ( Performer, Logic, Deck II, etc. ) Short of that, tweak your sounds, and set it to mix down to one track ( export) whatever - then bring that stereo track back in, delete the others, and you're good to go!

Hope that helps!

LaoTzu

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2005
beatsme said:
I'm thinking I'm going to have to go with option #2. I do the drum tracks in iDrum (which is really good...anybody who doesn't have it should get it) and then export to AIFF and import into GarageBand. So what I'm going to do is make 3 or 4 separate exports of the drum track (hi-hat, snare, kick, toms) and kinda combine them in GarageBand. It'd just be nice to have one drum track EQ'd the way I want that I could use as a loop.

I'll keep scratching my head...

dunno iDrum, but you can record multiple times on ONE track, you know? I can relate to one drum track, when I make one in any app, I use one track.... say hi-hat ( I can do just 4 bars & loop, so maybe 8 taps ) then I record again OVER it Bass Kick, and again, Snare - all on the same track - yes EQ is simple Bass is LOW, hi hat is like 10KHz, snare is in between....

Is that going to help at all?

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
you know what...

export to iTunes....that's a GREAT idea. It's a couple more steps for sure, but I'll definitely have complete control over the sound. Then bring the export back in as a loop...excellent.

LaoTzu

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2005
beatsme said:
export to iTunes....that's a GREAT idea. It's a couple more steps for sure, but I'll definitely have complete control over the sound. Then bring the export back in as a loop...excellent.

It is a couple extra steps, but you want a sub mix for drums, and it sure could be harder....

Great! Glad you found your answer...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.