Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trevbeats77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2023
United Kingdom
I updated to OS Monterey on my Mac, but now Garage Band will not open.
Not sure why this has happened. Stopping my musical flow to record, need help, please.

I did restart the computer, but no luck, went to the app store to try to download the up-to-date Garage Band, but it said I need a new version...Must be a way around this??
Luckily I downloaded the original Garageband from my old Mac, High Sierra 10. 13.6, so it is an old Garageband software.

So my question: I can't open up the GB, I guess I will lose all my work.
And if so that's okay, just need GB running back up again>?
What will work on Monterey 12'6.8

Thanks for your time

TreV....

Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 06.56.36.png

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Try going to App Store, and in the bottom left corner where click on your account. From there you can try scrolling down to Garageband, assuming you had downloaded it previously using that account. If you download it from there, it should give you an option to download the latest compatible version with Monterey.

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
The crash log says you are running Garage Band v10.3.5, which is from 3 years ago. The latest version that runs on my iMac on Monterey (12.7.1) is v10.4.8, which is just 9 months ago. You said you have Monterey 12.6.8, but I'd imagine App Store should be downloading a version of GB more recent than 10.3.5. Can you perhaps try uninstalling Garageband (in the App Store the three dots next to the download icon and click "Delete") and then re-download it?

• Love
Reactions: circatee and frou

Trevbeats77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2023
United Kingdom
I appreciate your help here, much appreciated. Ok, I have managed to uninstall GB. Just downloading it now, fingers crossed

Ps will I lose all my work ?

Trevbeats77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2023
United Kingdom
The crash log says you are running Garage Band v10.3.5, which is from 3 years ago. The latest version that runs on my iMac on Monterey (12.7.1) is v10.4.8, which is just 9 months ago. You said you have Monterey 12.6.8, but I'd imagine App Store should be downloading a version of GB more recent than 10.3.5. Can you perhaps try uninstalling Garageband (in the App Store the three dots next to the download icon and click "Delete") and then re-download it?

Try going to App Store, and in the bottom left corner where click on your account. From there you can try scrolling down to Garageband, assuming you had downloaded it previously using that account. If you download it from there, it should give you an option to download the latest compatible version with Monterey.

Ok, good news. It worked. and all my music iv done over the years is still there......YOU are a star, thank you...

Trev

Trevbeats77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2023
United Kingdom
Hope all is well.
Just another question, if ok to ask.
I have noticed that iTunes is not on my Garage Band right-side panel anymore.
Is there any way we can get iTunes back on to GB.
Thanks for your time.
TreV

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Hi -- I looked but unfortunately it seems that Apple removed the Media Browser feature a few years back with Big Sur. Now, it looks like the best way to get the music into a Garage Band project is to find the track in the Music app (formerly iTunes), right click, and "Show in Finder" and then drag that file into GB. That workaround is the best suggestion I have...

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Are you clicking on a specific track or a whole album? Because you have to select a track. Also, if this is a track from Apple Music (the subscription) then you technically don't own it and it won't let you use it in GB.
You can also try going to the following folder: ~/Music/Music/Media/Music/ and look in there, although your Music library could potentially be located elsewhere.

Reactions: Trevbeats77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.