Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
Unfortunately, I'm still confused where I can use Apple Pay via my watch. One major reason is my local HEB grocery stores have got the wireless credit card logo on the card machines but the checkout people always tell me "Oh!! that's not working" as if it should be clearly obvious to me. Also, Costco has the logo on their gas pumps but I can't make it work without first swiping my Costco credit card and at that point, you just hit a button to charge that card.

My particular quest today is to figure out which gas stations I can use Apple Pay via my watch. And I'm assuming that it won't be particular brands but particular pumps that have the updated hardware but I'd like some clues as to what to look for.

This comes up because I've dusted off my motorcycle after several years and it was always rather awkward digging into my saddle bags or backpack to find a credit card to pay for gas. It would be super nice if I could use my watch.

rgyiv

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2018
found this through the Google; not sure though

Gas stations that accept Apple Pay

Chevron
Chevron Extra Mile
Texaco
ExxonMobil (through the Speedpass+ app)

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
The only place that I've been in Texas with working Apple Pay/NFC at the pump so far has been Buc-ees.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I'm up in Ohio, but some of the BP's and Marathons up here have the readers. But it very much seems to be a station by station thing.

Reactions: scmill

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
My Costco lets you pay with Apple Pay inside but they haven't enabled contactless payment at the gas pumps.

Wawa accepts Apple Pay at the pump.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've used Apple Pay via my watch for Arco here in California. Just make sure it's set to use your debit card.

I've used Apple Pay via watch inside of Costco, but never at the pumps - like you I have the Costco card and just use that.

Would be nice if the Costco Membership worked on Apple Pay :D.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Gas stations aside, Dorothy Lane Market in Dayton OH stopped taking AP using credit cards. Only debit cards. And they were one of the first adopters of Apple here. Very UPSET with them.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
It’s so strange that the US was the first to get Apple Pay yet there’s so many places that don’t take it.
Here in Australia and also the UK you are hard pushed to find somewhere that wouldn’t. The only place I know that doesn’t is a car park I visit regularly, other than that I could cut up my cards as I never use them.

Reactions: MisterSavage

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Agreed, it's odd that the US is behind some countries in this respect. In the UK if the tills/card-readers aren't specifically configured for Apple Pay they'll almost certainly accept contactless up to £30 and Apple Pay works by default with those. More and more tills/card-readers are now configured properly and will accept Apple Pay over £30, assumedly no-limit. Only a handful of large retailers are not fully configured (I'm looking at you, Tesco).

Isn't the US "behind" with Chip & PIN too?

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I was agreeing with you. I would have thought they were laundering money also!
Oh! Yeah, it definitely was strange. Also odd is that when it's happened, it's been "branded" stations, like Arco, rather than independently owned stations.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Isn't the US "behind" with Chip & PIN too?

US is chip & signature, even though they removed the requirement for signatures. What's even weirder is when you pay with Apple Pay and the digital kiosk still asks for a signature. I always draw a straight line with my finger.

Gav.Winters

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Sucks for you guys in the US, contactless has been working seamlessly here for ages. Why is the US so far behind?

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
If I remember correctly, the law the US passed which put the liability on the merchant if they didn't use chip and sign gave an extended period to roll out the readers to gas pumps. This is why we're seeing this weird hodgepodge where gas pumps won't take tap-to-pay, but when you go inside the station they often do at the register. Which is ironic since gas pumps have been the biggest target for skimming devices for a long time.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
If I remember correctly, the law the US passed which put the liability on the merchant if they didn't use chip and sign gave an extended period to roll out the readers to gas pumps. This is why we're seeing this weird hodgepodge where gas pumps won't take tap-to-pay, but when you go inside the station they often do at the register. Which is ironic since gas pumps have been the biggest target for skimming devices for a long time.

What's particularly maddening is when you go to a brand new gas station and they're using magnetic swipe at the pump. Come on people!

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
My Costco lets you pay with Apple Pay inside but they haven't enabled contactless payment at the gas pumps.

Wawa accepts Apple Pay at the pump.
But I think I still need my Costco Card (which at this point is a Visa card) to check out (to prove I'm a member). Isn't that right or am I missing something?

And I assume its the same as the pumps. They have the logo and, perhaps it would work but why bother. I've already swiped my card to prove I'm a member.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
But I think I still need my Costco Card (which at this point is a Visa card) to check out (to prove I'm a member). Isn't that right or am I missing something?

You're right. I still have to carry my plastic Costco membership card but I hope they change it to be like 7-11. They have a rewards program and I scan a bar code from my watch to show I'm a member then I pay with my watch.

Reactions: pedzsan

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

And I assume its the same as the pumps. They have the logo and, perhaps it would work but why bother. I've already swiped my card to prove I'm a member.
Yes, but you don't have to use your Costco card to pay. Assuming your Costco takes Apple pay at the pump, you should be able to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.