Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikikaly21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
I had so many display issues with third party displays and my Mac mini M2; I couldn't find ones that played nice under $500, and ones in that range never hit consistent graphical performance with basic tasks like watching Hulu tv, or playing Apple Arcade,

So, I recently traded my baseline Mac mini M2 and got a colorful brand new base model iMac m1! I love it. I had the Apple trackpad and keyboard, so - with the trade in and the discounted price, I felt like I solved all problems and got a great deal.

The display is astonishing. It's all worth it for the display alone. It's almost 3 million more pixels than my 4k monitors. I just misunderstood how better the display was plain and simple; should've bought this model years ago. Going back to my other monitors feels jarring. Would love 120hz, but I haven't had the need to cross 60FPs+ so I probably still wouldn't spring for that model.

I don't miss any performance drop from the M2 to the M1 either. In fact, the iMac feels quicker. Maybe something to do with the SSD's in the M2 minis? Maybe the M2 is just not that great?

I'd only consider upgrading if the future iMac M4 came with 16GB memory as the baseline.

Anyway - I'm so glad I have this iMac! No regrets so far.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
In fact, the iMac feels quicker. Maybe something to do with the SSD's in the M2 minis? Maybe the M2 is just not that great?
Nah. It's all in what computing activity you are doing. You must not be doing any computing activities that require more computing power than the M1. Oh, well... enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.