Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

horhey23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2004
Kent, OH
There seems to be no mention of being able to import audio files. Anybody know if this is a feature? It has to be, I can't believe they would leave that functionality out. Just no mention of it on Apple's site.

Also, anyone know if there is a way to sequence in GBand, MIDI or otherwise? Drum loops are cool, but I like to arrange my own drum tracks.

Right now I use a program called easybeat to sequence the rhythm section using the built-in Quicktime Software intsruments, export as an AIFF, and import into Deck for multitracking. Would love for GBand to allow me to do all of this within the app and then record my guitar on top.

I couldn't tell if the software instruments in GBand were samples or MIDI. Anyone know?

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
GBand must create files in various formats, so therefore it must be able to import those same formats.
Its almost certainly got AIFF, etc type of file abilities.
It would be kind of weird if it didnt.

Loops are sound files, so......

I got the impression that sequencing was part of this program - I know thats what I want too.

I think everyone is a bit concerned that it wont be as good as it looked at MacWorld.

Its only six more days!

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
I think there's going to be a lot of disappointed folks out there that think GarageBand is an all powerful app.

I don't think you can import anything. There's nothing in the screenshots that would lead me to believe so.

It's not a sequencer, either. All the loops are samples, if they were MIDI, they wouldn't need a DVD install disk and it would be very difficult for the average user to be up and running right out of the box.

Also, from the screenshots, there doesn't appear to be any way to export to anything besides iTunes....no format can be specified...

Whatever you saw Steve do in the Keynote...that's it, that's the complete power of GB. Nothing else.

Apple's claim is that GB will give you "complete power of a recording studio." I seriously doubt this....at least not by ~my~ definition of a recording studio...

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I think there are those who are expecting too much from this app....if it did everything, it would cost one heck of a lot more!!!!

horhey23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2004
Kent, OH
I think I would have to agree that if it did more, Jobs would have shown us.

I guess we will all know more when it is released.

pbooktebo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
SF Bay Area
Making loops

At MacWorld, I asked one of the guys who was manning the "Garage Band" stand if you could create audio loops. He said that you could only do that through the other app "Soundtrack." A bit sad, to my mind. You might still be able to easily loop through copy-paste, or within a song, but it seems that if you want to develop your own loop library, that might be difficult.

However, I think this app will come in a basic configuration, so that they can assess what areas they should update into for future versions.

They do have to balance simplicity vs. features, and it is much easier to add than subtract. They also own so much technology for this through their eMagic/Logic purchase.

Way to go, Apple!

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
The input to the instruments starts as MIDI information, and from the glimpses of the info on the screen at the keynote, it remains MIDI in GB, the software instruments may be synth or sample based, but they are MIDI controlled, and the recordings you make are MIDI information.

The real questions are wether you can edit the MIDI recordings after the fact and what level of quantise control you have over the MIDI input, what kind of editing functions over audio recording you have and wether it is possible to import/export MIDI files and single tracks of audio to aiff for import into more capable mixing apps.

Soundtrack lets you export to aiff, and by muting tracks, you can export elements into ProTools or Logic etc.

I'm pretty sure GB won't give you the same level of control as the pro-apps, but it's still going to be an excellent sketchpad/compositional tool/trainer, as well as a really fun app for creating tracks on-the-fly for musicians/non-musicians alike.

How much do you want for $49, (I paid £30 for iLife 04)? We are spoiled by Apple's policy of great free apps, GB would be a $200 app from anyone else.

dutchmaster

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2001
what we know so far...

"He then records several passes of rhythm guitar tracks using a vintage British Invasion sound. Though he made a mistake or two — hey, nobody’s perfect — he goes back and fixes them in the Track Editor."

This entry from GB's RECORD page on apple.com implies some amount of track editing on the audio tracks. Though i don't think we've seen any screenshots of the "Track editor"

"Pleased with what she’s done, Kathy exports her song to iTunes as a CD-quality AIFF file, where it’s automatically added to her growing playlist of original compositions."

This entry from GB's MIX page on apple.com implies AIFF exports which of course would thenbe able to be opened in any decent Sequencer app for further work. We still don't know about importing AIFF's though there have been suggestions that loops made with the Soundtrack Loop tool will be able to be imported. Any one else know any verifiable solid details?

24/96 ? Someone reported on a "tapers" site that it allowed 24/96 recording while someone else on the same forum claimed only 16 bit.

Multiple Track recording? Can we verify that two independent mono tracks may be recorded and no more?

This is shaping up to be an exciting version 1.0 of a good practice/brainstorming/musical scratchpad tool. A digital fourtrack of sorts (with good effects!) I'm a sucker for any new VST/AU effects and a few of the amp sounds were interesting. Remember this is just the beginning. Apple has listened to feedback on all the "iapps" so if the response is loud and clear AND fits their vision of the product, improvements will come.

jfg@forum

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2004
Use as sketchpad

Originally posted by WinterMute
I'm pretty sure GB won't give you the same level of control as the pro-apps, but it's still going to be an excellent sketchpad/compositional tool/trainer, as well as a really fun app for creating tracks on-the-fly for musicians/non-musicians alike.

Right on about the sketchpad. But what do you do if you compose something you really like and want to expand on it in Logic? You need to remember every note and start from stratch.

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
But what do you do if you compose something you really like and want to expand on it in Logic? You need to remember every note and start from stratch.

you could always play the tracks in your composition one by one and have wiretap record them for you... then import them into a pro app... i love wiretap...

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
Originally posted by g30ffr3y
But what do you do if you compose something you really like and want to expand on it in Logic? You need to remember every note and start from stratch.

you could always play the tracks in your composition one by one and have wiretap record them for you... then import them into a pro app... i love wiretap...

Yes, that would work, or you could export each track one by one to AIFF....or at least the ones that you would want total control over...that would save the time of realtime capture into wiretap.

jfg@forum

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2004
Originally posted by g30ffr3y

Without midi export, how do you turn something in GB into sheet music (notes on staffs).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.