Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
Hey,

Any chance of fixing the GDPR cookie popup so it doesn't appear continually for people who don't allow you to store cookies? I know remembering the denial would require a cookie, but the forum uses cookies and that still works; so you could store it as part of the user profile. Alternatively you could make the popup non-intrusive. It's current form could be viewed as coercion to accept cookies from MR, which is illegal under GDPR.

Cheers

Last edited:

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
You cannot use the forum without cookies, they're used by the session.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hey,

Any chance of fixing the GDPR cookie popup so it doesn't appear continually for people who don't allow you to store cookies? I know remembering the denial would require a cookie, but the forum uses cookies and that still works; so you could store it as part of the user profile. Alternatively you could make the popup non-intrusive. It's current form could be viewed as coercion to accept cookies from MR, which is illegal under GDPR.

Cheers

It's not supposed to appear continually. Are you using any other plugins to block cookies? because, my understanding, is that it does use a cookie to know that you've declined.

I'm on a European VPN and am not getting the pop-up repeatedly.

arn

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
It's not supposed to appear continually. Are you using any other plugins to block cookies? because, my understanding, is that it does use a cookie to know that you've declined.

arn
Thanks for your reply, I don't have any other plugins installed. I cleared my cookies and it seems to have fixed it, maybe the cookie got stuck somehow. Thanks and sorry for wasting your time!

Last edited:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

arn
Not using any plugins and I'm getting it every time a page loads. It's exactly the same on Safari on my iPhone and Firefox on the work PC.
[doublepost=1527234555][/doublepost]I've deleted all MacRumors cookies on this PC and it's been behaving exactly the same since I've logged back in.

Privacy.JPG

Last edited:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Not using any plugins and I'm getting it every time a page loads. It's exactly the same on Safari on my iPhone and Firefox on the work PC.
[doublepost=1527234555][/doublepost]I've deleted all MacRumors cookies on this PC and it's been behaving exactly the same since I've logged back in.

View attachment 762929
Same here - It is incredibly annoying!

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
You cannot use the forum without cookies, they're used by the session.

IANAL but AFAIK you don't need consent for properly implemented "session cookies" - they're only accessible to the site that created them, essential to the operation of most 'dynamic' websites and most importantly aren't stored between sessions by your browser.

Consent is for persistent cookies which "improve your experience" - like remembering logins between sessions (other than your browser's password manager) and, most certainly, displaying targeted ads.

Reactions: arkitect

fatfish

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2003
Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Assumed to be related to GDPR, I was presented with the option of accepting that my data could be stored and processed by MacRumours or, well actually there didn't seem to be another option, only a note that I could always change these settings.

So as I didn't seem to be able to proceed and view the site without accepting, I did and relied on reversing the settings as was indicated I could.

So could someone please tell me where I can do this.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Figured it had to be a thread about this. Hadn't checked how it was on iMac. But yep, same as iPad.

Pls stop the insanity pop-ups MacRumors. The sooner the better.

Reactions: arkitect

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I tested on my MacBook on American and French IP with VPN, no GDPR popups, not oneo_O. No blockers either.

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
I was getting it on every new page when i was on here earlier, but after visiting other websites and then returning, it hasn't appeared again.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Annoying but I am sure it will be fixed soon..

This is just a minor annoyance, what I find much more annoying is the constant asking for cookies to be stored on my computer from a new site and it reloads, seems though that more and more sites solves they by using a popup/over which you can dismiss.
The one I dislike the most is Google, delete cookie and you get that nagging popup again, that's one of the many reasons I don't use Google personally.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
So extremely stupid. Some of us surf anonymously by default. Because we don't eat your cookies, especially not your third party ones.

Whoever came up with this overlay interaction clearly has no idea of what GDPR is and what it requires.

Reactions: Narcaz and arkitect

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Same here. This site is completely unusable like this. I hope it will get fixed soon, makes no sense browsing the forums until then with these annoying popups on every single page.

Reactions: tonyr6 and arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.