Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjang1993

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2019
Hi all,

I got my iPhone SE (1st Gen) Battery replaced by a third party shop about a year ago. Long story made short, I haven't used it much and coconut battery says it has 56 charge cycles on it and 93% to 99% depending on the day. I saw a Youtube video where there is a device that can take an old battery and reset the charge cycle to zero. Geekbench 5 has no battery drain test, and I can't find Geekbench 4 on the App Store. This phone may be my primary device (the 2nd Gen iPhone SE which is currently my primary feels too big for my hands) and I want to make sure the battery I got installed by the third party manufacturer is legit. I figure there's no way to truly find out if this third party battery truly has 56 charge cycles on it without any battery drain test and wasn't an old one that was reset to have 0 cycles. Can anyone suggest another measure similar to Geekbench 4 to get a real time metric on if this battery runtime? The weird thing with this third party battery is that it doesn't say "service" on the battery screen, it actually says 100% like an official iPhone battery, and I don't think this shop I went to in France back when I lived there wasn't an apple affiliated on.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Wherever CoconutBattery pulls the loadcycles from, any other app that can do that will get the same number.
I say don't be so suspicious and just use the phone and don't look at any of the battery apps. They never make anyone happy anyway.

jjang1993

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2019
I don't suspect this has a old battery in new battery clothes per say, there's no overt draining or random shutdowns and it went from 50% to 23% while streaming a 55 minute Netflix episode with the brightness on full blast on wifi, I guess I'd consider that a win to some degree...if only Geekbench 5 had a battery drain metric to get some true runtimes to compare

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.