Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul Deemer

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2023
Greenville, SC
I want to play some Games that are exclusive to PC only and not available on macOS and obviously you can't install these titles on your macOS. But if I buy the Windows version of the game and it's registered on the Store of the site I bought it from can I still play it on GeForce Now even though it's not installed on my MacBook? I have looked this up on web and I saw one thread where they said as long as you own the game you can still play it on any device. So I just look on GeForce now to see if the title is supported then buy the game and add it to GeForce Now then I can play it on my MacBook M3 Max?

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Yes, no need to install the games. You just have to own it. Btw have you tried Crossover? It could be cheaper than GFN subscription. You can check their compatibility database to see if your games work well. There's a free trial before you buy. Of course you have to install the games with Crossover.

With Crossover you can use either Wine, DXVK or D3DMetal. It includes Apple's GPTK so many games run well.

Paul Deemer

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2023
Greenville, SC
Yes, no need to install the games. You just have to own it. Btw have you tried Crossover? It could be cheaper than GFN subscription. You can check their compatibility database to see if your games work well. There's a free trial before you buy. Of course you have to install the games with Crossover.

With Crossover you can use either Wine, DXVK or D3DMetal. It includes Apple's GPTK so many games run well.
Thanks for the assistance, still debating between Crossover and Geforce now.

Reactions: Homy

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I can't speak to GeForce Now, but I just finished up a trial of Crossover and was really impressed by how well it ran most of my Steam library. I'm not a hardcore gamer so most of the games I play don't have huge requirements, but my M1 MBA isn't exactly a heavyweight either. It worked well enough that I'll happily plunk down the $74. I'll even go so far as to say that it could be a factor in whether I go Mac or PC with my next laptop.

The trial is seven days, which should give you enough time to do a good amount of testing.

Reactions: Homy and Huntn

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
I can't speak to GeForce Now, but I just finished up a trial of Crossover and was really impressed by how well it ran most of my Steam library. I'm not a hardcore gamer so most of the games I play don't have huge requirements, but my M1 MBA isn't exactly a heavyweight either. It worked well enough that I'll happily plunk down the $74. I'll even go so far as to say that it could be a factor in whether I go Mac or PC with my next laptop.

The trial is seven days, which should give you enough time to do a good amount of testing.

The trial has always been for 14 days.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Thanks for the assistance, still debating between Crossover and Geforce now.
I've only used the free version of GeForce Now and it works acceptably well, as long as you have a great connection. If you want a short wait time, you need a premium account. Since I have a capable Windows 11 machine now, I don't bother much.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I have used both the free Geforce Now, and have been paying for almost two years now. I am VERY pleased with Geforce Now, and how it has made my 2011 (!) iMac a modern AAA gaming machine. Works wonders with my Steam and Epic libraries.

Reactions: Huntn

loui100

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2019
Yeah, I cannot praise Geforce Now enough. I try to avoid it now as I have a beefy Mac so use Crossover when I can instead of paying Geforce fees but with good wired connection it's basically indistinguishable from running a game locally. Miles better than the likes of Shadow PC.

Paul Deemer

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2023
Greenville, SC
I am getting 354mps down and 18 ms ping on Speed Test so should be more than enough for Geforce now. Always worked great for Stadia of which I have two of their controllers updated to bluetooth. Not worried about paying $20 a month for the high end Geforce now tier. I already pay $24 a month for Netflix and $77 a month for YoutubeTV for my cable. But then again I paid $3500.00 for a base max which seems overkill unless I am going to use it for more than web browsing and work. I originally got the max power for video editing but haven't even bought Final Cut yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.