Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
My pencil has been working fine for a few weeks. My one year old dropped it twice. It will no longer charge through the iPad or a wall charger or stay connected to my iPad, I’ve tried two iPads.

It will connect and show 1% battery, but quickly disconnect.

Apple chat suggested I try a new tip. I have some on the way.
Any chance at reviving it or will I need to replace it?

Thanks!

Applicator

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2021
Germany
I really can't imagine a new tip fixing the battery /charging issue. Have you gone through the bluetooth "ignore and re-pair device"-routine and power cycled the iPad?
Most probably the Pen is broken, so if it's been working fine for a few weeks, make use of your warranty.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I really can't imagine a new tip fixing the battery /charging issue. Have you gone through the bluetooth "ignore and re-pair device"-routine and power cycled the iPad?
Most probably the Pen is broken, so if it's been working fine for a few weeks, make use of your warranty.
I thought the same thing, but the chat agent insisted it would work.

I bought it here used so it is well out of warranty.
Time to get my daughters piggy bank open. :)

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
Have you tried restarting the iPad with the pencil connected to the lightning port?

I’m looking for the thread with the complete steps but cannot find it. I forget if it is a hard reboot or just turn off and then back on.

Anyone else remember the correct steps?

Reactions: TWO2SEVEN

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
Found the forum post-
Click here

Also, Apple have an out of warranty pencil service for $29. See this link and scroll about half way down the page. Better than spending full price on a replacement.

Last edited:

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Have you tried restarting the iPad with the pencil connected to the lightning port?

I’m looking for the thread with the complete steps but cannot find it. I forget if it is a hard reboot or just turn off and then back on.

Anyone else remember the correct steps?
Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.