Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
England
This is really starting to suck.

So much for OS X's great stability. So many things are going wrong right now.

Ok, number 1. I'm just playing iTunes, and then when the next song starts, the track stutters for 2 seconds. Like a skipping CD. Every bloody time.

Number 2. Weather widgets keep crashing. If I try add them, they just disappear. The two I already had just disappeared, all on their own.

Number 3. Safari/QuickTime keep crashing. Like, 1/2 times a day "Unexpectedly quit". ****s me off.

Number 4. I'm sitting here, in bed, no iPod attatched, with iTunes closed. Every 2 minutes iTunes opens up again, behind my Safari window. I quit it, it does it again in 2 mins.

I repair permissions every 2 days, and I take good care of my iBook. Why should I have to reinstall the OS? This is really annoying. Any ideas?

Thanks

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN
Ya some of those things (itunes skipping) are happening to me to. In my case sometimes Safari wont even open. Its probably a RAM issue for me. Have you tried phoning Apple support?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That sucks. :(

XIII said:
Ok, number 1. I'm just playing iTunes, and then when the next song starts, the track stutters for 2 seconds. Like a skipping CD. Every bloody time.

Is it the same song(s) every time? Do CDs play normally through iTunes? Is there a lot of CPU activity when things start skipping (check with Activity Monitor), particularly from iTunes?

XIII said:
Number 2. Weather widgets keep crashing. If I try add them, they just disappear. The two I already had just disappeared, all on their own.

Have you tried deleting widget-com.apple.widget.weather.plist?

XIII said:
Number 3. Safari/QuickTime keep crashing. Like, 1/2 times a day "Unexpectedly quit". ****s me off.

Is it seemingly random? Maybe try the PLIST method for these two also. Try resetting Safari from the Safari menu first and if that doesn't help then try removing com.apple.Safari.plist. For QuickTime, is it the actual player or the plugin in Safari?

XIII said:
Number 4. I'm sitting here, in bed, no iPod attatched, with iTunes closed. Every 2 minutes iTunes opens up again, behind my Safari window. I quit it, it does it again in 2 mins.

Do you have the iTunes Widget open?

XIII said:
I repair permissions every 2 days, and I take good care of my iBook. Why should I have to reinstall the OS? This is really annoying. Any ideas?

Repairing permissions that often is unnecessary. As a slack rule of thumb, permissions can only get corrupted after you've put your password in.

Do you have any system hacks or strange theme changers installed? Do you have at least 8GB of free hard drive space? Did you install any third party RAM? :)

Applespider

macrumors G4
So far as QT crashing, have you got Flip4Mac installed? It can make your system unstable (particularly if you installed the recent free Microsoft link to it rather than the newer updated version direct from Flip4Mac)

Try madjew's suggestions. If not, why not try doing an Archive & Install. It will take 45 minutes plus a download of 10.4.4.

Sure beats spending several hours troubleshooting. And if it's still doing it after that, you can start looking at RAM/hardware problems further.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Applespider said:
If not, why not try doing an Archive & Install. It will take 45 minutes plus a download of 10.4.4.

Sure beats spending several hours troubleshooting. And if it's still doing it after that, you can start looking at RAM/hardware problems further.

Good advice that. If you're not confident with an archive and install (for whatever reason) or you can't find your OSX disks then maybe create a new account through System Preferences and see if the problems carry over. :)

XIII

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
England
Thanks very much for your help. Its 20 past midnight here, so I will try some stuff in the morning, but I can answer a few questions.

Not the same songs in iTunes, any song I'm playing. I don't play CDs, but I'll try tommorow. I have deleted the iTunes .plist to no avail.

I've just deleted the .plist for weather widget. Exactly the same thing just happened. It starts showing the weather, then quits. Lame. :(

Safari/QT - For Safari at least, seemingly random. With QT, it seems to be I ask it to quit, and then it shuts down, very slowly and unstably, then says it crashed.

I have just installed Flip4Macs WMV Player - however, I got the one from Flip4Mac, not MS. I've had a paid WMV Player for about 6 months.. maybe this 2.0 is unstable.

iTunes widget open, yes. Does that open iTunes in the background, even if you don't ask it to? That seems to be the problem. Thanks. :)

I repair permissions because its all the troubleshooting I can do. I have ~2GB of space free.. I can burn some stuff to DVD and get to about 6GB I guess. For this reason, archive/install wouldn't be practical.

No system hacks or anything. Third party RAM yes.. but I've had that since day 1. This is only in the last month or so. (some of them are more recent).

Apple Store time?

Thanks for all the help, really appreciated.

Applespider

macrumors G4
XIII said:
I repair permissions because its all the troubleshooting I can do. I have ~2GB of space free..

That might be the problem. OS X likes to have around 6GB free so it can run virtual memory effectively. With Safari and QT both being VM hungry, that could explain a lot.

Try clearing out some stuff and archiving it. Run Delocalizer and get rid of extra languages, get rid of any printer drivers you don't need, get the space up to about 6GB and see if things improve.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I think the sun will shine brighter once you get 6GB free, 8GB if possible. I have a feeling that freeing up space will solve practically all of your problems. Here's hoping, fingers crossed. :p

The iTunes widget is notorious for opening iTunes FWIW. :)

XIII

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
England
Thanks applespider and mad jew. Today I'll clear some space up, and see how it goes. I'll let you know. :)

EDIT: I do hope your right. I can't read any emails.. everytime I open mail, and select and email, it crashes. Eyyy.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
England
Ok, I have 5.5GB free now. I can't read my bloody Mail (Mail.app crashes whenever I try to read an email), Weather widget still crashes, and QT Player still crashes. Safari has been stable, and I haven't really used iTunes to see about the skipping.

Big meh.

Apple Store time?

Applespider

macrumors G4
XIII said:
Ok, I have 5.5GB free now. I can't read my bloody Mail (Mail.app crashes whenever I try to read an email), Weather widget still crashes, and QT Player still crashes. Safari has been stable, and I haven't really used iTunes to see about the skipping.

What size is your VM in Activity Monitor? If it's anywhere close to 5GB, you need to keep cleaning.

I still stand by the A&I rather than the Apple Store. You'll wait longer waiting to see a genius that it will take you to do it. And once they've tried the usual suspects of dumping preferences, zapping PRAM and repairing permissions, they often tell you to do an A&I anyhow.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Yup... if your usage pattern of applications means you have a VM of 7.5GB, you're going to make sure you've got at least that free.

Alternatively, get used to having fewer apps open at any one time so that you're not putting so much of a load on it. If you don't use Garageband or iDVD, getting rid of their themes will save you a fair amount, iDVD themes add up to about 2GB and Garageband is 3GB of loops etc

XIII

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
England
Applespider said:
Yup... if your usage pattern of applications means you have a VM of 7.5GB, you're going to make sure you've got at least that free.

Alternatively, get used to having fewer apps open at any one time so that you're not putting so much of a load on it. If you don't use Garageband or iDVD, getting rid of their themes will save you a fair amount, iDVD themes add up to about 2GB and Garageband is 3GB of loops etc

Ok, I'll make another 4GB dvd :(

What takes up WM?

Mitthrawnuruodo, I have 1.25GB of RAM - I didn't see Dashboard as a problem. Right now I have 6 widgets running.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
XIII said:
What takes up WM?

Mitthrawnuruodo, I have 1.25GB of RAM - I didn't see Dashboard as a problem. Right now I have 6 widgets running.
The widgets occupy much more HD space (through the use of Virtual Memory) than RAM (through Real Memory). Check your Activity monitor... :)

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
Check your Flip4Mac version. I installed 2.0 and had all kinds of problems. Upgraded to 2.0.1 and that cured my Safari/QuickTime issues.

I noticed you have Azureus/SWT active. If this is not running, try quitting the processes. I have had some system slowdowns related to this hog.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Azureus should be a cause of slow down but not application crashes. I have some speed issues with it on my iMac G5 with 1.5 GB. It seems to be a lot less resoruce intensive on Windows.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
DZ/015 said:
Check your Flip4Mac version. I installed 2.0 and had all kinds of problems. Upgraded to 2.0.1 and that cured my Safari/QuickTime issues.
Where did you find that update? Did you just redownload and install? My flip4mac prefpane says I'm up-to-date, and I'm only running 2.0...

Edit: To answer myself: I just downloaded 2.0.1, and that did indeed upgrade my 2.0... and now QT player no longer crashes on Quit... :)

DZ/015 said:
I noticed you have Azureus/SWT active. If this is not running, try quitting the processes. I have had some system slowdowns related to this hog.
Torrent apps are notorious resource hogs, and you cannot really complain about a slow machine with anything like that running... :rolleyes: ;)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Torrent apps are notorious resource hogs, and you cannot really complain about a slow machine with anything like that running... :rolleyes: ;)
Well I haven't had many issues with Bits on Wheels. It's made in Objective-C and Cocoa. I believe the file priority is a features that's to be added in the next version. The message boards are full of suggestions to make it more like Azurues. It's a lot less resource hogging than Azureus though.

http://www.bitsonwheels.com/

XIII

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
England
Thanks all. QT and Safari are sorted with 2.0.1.

I've got my VM to under what my HD space is (quitting apps, I will clear more space when I can), but Mail is STILL crashing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.