Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aidang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2006
I don't have the kind of cash to buy a macbook or macbook pro, so I have been venturing ebay and what not, and I realised it's cheaper to by a powerbook...

Ive always wanted a mac, and I only need it for...

Music
Internet
Word Processing
Graphics ie Photoshop
Garageband

So, is it worth it?

knackroller

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
I assume you mean "second-hand" Powerbook. In that case, for a second hand ibook G4 and pump up the Ram to 1GB

macsrockmysocks

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Yes, in your case it would be fine. At my local CompUSA, they are still selling the 17-inch Powerbook, which is seated right next to the 17" MBP. Weird thing is, the price for the powerbook is the same at $2499:eek: .

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
??

You can afford a used powerbook, but not a new MacBook?

That doesn't make any sense... used powerbooks still command upwards of $1000 used, why not get a new, Intel based, MacBook?

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
Don't buy the cheapest you can afford if it's not right for you and not a necesity. If what you have works now, save up those pretty pennies and get something newer and better (if you can afford a 2nd hand ibook/pb, it shouldn't take you long to save up for a macbook)

aidang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2006
I'm hoping to score one off ebay....

You can find some cheaps ones...

aidang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2006
What about purchasing mac products off ebay? Is it suggested...incl. iMac, Mac Mini, iBook, Powerbook

Reno404

macrumors member
May 19, 2006
Brussels, Yurop
Worth buying a Powerbook? Well look. Powerbook means mac, means apple. Apple was founded by Forrest Gump. Need I say more?
Get a pen and paper, some cisors and some color pencils. Old-school way. Works fine for me and i'm a healthy boy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.