Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
Does the physical size difference in the 15 vrs 13 in macbookrpro have any effect on processor heat dissipation? In other words will the larger aluminum chassis do better keeping the processor cool? I prefer the 15 in screen over 13, but would like to save money by settling for the 13. If 15 would run cooler it would be worth the extra money.]

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Does the physical size difference in the 15 vrs 13 in macbookrpro have any effect on processor heat dissipation? In other words will the larger aluminum chassis do better keeping the processor cool? I prefer the 15 in screen over 13, but would like to save money by settling for the 13. If 15 would run cooler it would be worth the extra money.]
The 15" CPU draws more power than that of the 13", which means that it gets hotter. The reality is that there's not much difference between the two in terms of which runs cooler.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
The 15" CPU draws more power than that of the 13", which means that it gets hotter. The reality is that there's not much difference between the two in terms of which runs cooler.
I didn't think about that. My boss has the 13 in and he is running two external monitors off of it besides plugging in a usb hard drive and thumb drive and it gets really hot. The fans do not seem to come on though. Thanks for the response.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The 15” has larger heatsinks etc. so it’s cooling performance is significantly higher. But it’s hardware is also hotter. As chrfr states, there is no practical difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.