Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DurvLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Hi all. Am a newbie in this forum. Wish to ask a few Qs regarding the new iPad mini.

I have never use any smart phones, iPods or tablets in my life, so I really know nothing about apps or anything related to it. A normal cell phone that allows me to call or text others is good enough for me. Recently it's broken during one of my trips, so I'm thinking of buying a new iPad mini as replacement as I heard that it can be used to call other people too (like a normal phone, not through Skype of anything else). Then someone told me that an iPad is an iPad, you can't use it to call others like normal cell phone. So I have a few Qs:

1. Can the iPad mini with WiFi+cellular means that I can use it as a cell phone?

2. If iPad mini really cannot replace a cell phone for normal calling, I was thinking of buying an iPad mini and a normal cell phone (or a cheap smartphone), as sometime I wish to watch some movies or play some games in the lab when I work for long hours. Any comments on that? o.o"

3. Does the size (or capacity?) of iPad matter? Like 8, 16, 32 and 64 GB?

4. Does it have a USB port? If it does, maybe I don't need to care about the the size?

That's all the Qs that I can think of now. Thank you for your reply. :)

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
1. No

2. That's a good approach. The problem will come that one time you leave the mini behind and need Internet access.

3. Yes, it matters. How much stuff do you want to be able to carry with you?

4. No, no USB or any other way to expand storage. So once you buy it, that's what you are stuck with.

Welcome to Macrumors! :D

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
No.

Of course, the choice is yours.

Yes. You get more capacity if you get more capacity. Like your computer, the more capacity you have, the more you can keep on it at any given time.

No USB port. Unless you buy the camera adaptor set, which breaks out a full size USB and SD card slot. It's not a fully functioning port though, as you can read on the info page and reviews for the product.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
just to add to question 3/4. There are a lot of things that you can store in the cloud or itunes match that could free up space. Yes, they cost extra but it is a way to make a 16gb ipad go further. Personally, I have a 16gb iphone with about 30 apps and still have 10.9 gb free b.c of cloud storage. Ipad apps can be larger, but I would imagine I would still be somewhere around 7 or 8 gigs free.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Hi all. Am a newbie in this forum. Wish to ask a few Qs regarding the new iPad mini.

I have never use any smart phones, iPods or tablets in my life, so I really know nothing about apps or anything related to it. A normal cell phone that allows me to call or text others is good enough for me. Recently it's broken during one of my trips, so I'm thinking of buying a new iPad mini as replacement as I heard that it can be used to call other people too (like a normal phone, not through Skype of anything else). Then someone told me that an iPad is an iPad, you can't use it to call others like normal cell phone. So I have a few Qs:

1. Can the iPad mini with WiFi+cellular means that I can use it as a cell phone?

2. If iPad mini really cannot replace a cell phone for normal calling, I was thinking of buying an iPad mini and a normal cell phone (or a cheap smartphone), as sometime I wish to watch some movies or play some games in the lab when I work for long hours. Any comments on that? o.o"

3. Does the size (or capacity?) of iPad matter? Like 8, 16, 32 and 64 GB?

4. Does it have a USB port? If it does, maybe I don't need to care about the the size?

That's all the Qs that I can think of now. Thank you for your reply. :)

You can browse the iTunes store for Apps/Games that you'd like and see how much space they would occupy. Some Apps/Games can be close to 1GB (and a few are over).

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
1. Yes you can use the mini as a cell phone with google voice as long as you have a data connection. And you could use headphones with a mic to answer them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.